Ability to copy game asset Ids from DevConsole

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to process through many different in-game assets that are using up memory, while in the development process of lowering their memory usage.

The ideal workflow is to easily get to the asset on the website causing the huge memory usage, so that developers can do edits to the known asset.
Instead, most of the time is spent typing in a number and making sure it matches to reach the asset link on the website to find out which asset it is.

17 Likes

As an addition to this, wouldn’t it also be neat to be able to copy specific output messages from the client and server logs straight to the clipboard?

As far as I know, the development console doesn’t offer a feature like this, but being able to right click + Copy console messages would be a nice quality of life addition for things like debug prints and error messages.

5 Likes

If you want to copy errors, you can use print screen to add the screenshot to a paint . net tab. When I do this I usually exit the Roblox player, go through the errors on the paint . net files and fix them.

I believe there is a lot of difference in fixing errors and needing an Id to get to a website link.

2 Likes

This is also incredibly important to those who do QA on the Roblox platform, a part of my job is coordinating a team that assists developers in ensuring their games are performant, and this would save us tremendous amounts of time.

As games on the platform become more complex and start using more textures, SurfaceAppearance and include custom soundtracks we’ll need better tools for testers to help out like this one.

12 Likes