Ability to Permanently Delete Our Uploaded Content

This would be amazing! One major problem though, UGC… If the UGC creators of accessories or clothing have access to delete their content, then they can potentially steal their assets back after however many people bought them.

A way to go around this is basically 1 of 2 ways.

Make it where you can’t delete accessories or clothing,

Or what I think would be better, is once you delete it, it becomes “unlisted” everywhere but the player’s inventory. Not even the catalog unlisted section will display it. Otherwise someone can spend a lot of robux on a certain asset and it end up being deleted.

12 Likes

The conversation is mostly about IP, but I’d like to add that sometimes uploaded content just needs to be removed or edited. Images or songs or models or what have you that simply aren’t going to be used anymore could be removed and at least clean up the view of the develop tab.

I’ve recently had an issue where I noticed some very old decals of mine had a missing pixel or two, and the solution isn’t to just delete it or edit it, but to upload a whole new version and have both just chilling on my group.

Additionally, there are a lot of old models in my account that I would like to delete for every reason from cleaning inventory to peace of mind. Right now, I just upload a brick in their place and later replace them with any new models I might make. This, of course, is not ideal, because it doesn’t preserve the order they display in either.

14 Likes

Bumping this.

I’d like to be the manager of my assets I upload to this platform, and I want to delete them whenever they want. Archiving isn’t always a good solution. It hides the asset from the players, but sometimes I have things I want to be gone forever.

Children who can accidentally permanently delete their assets aren’t my problem. All major platforms have the ability to permanently delete uploaded content, Roblox is just outdated to not have an option like that.

Please address this issue. It would improve my developer experience because I wouldn’t have to think 5 times before finally uploading something.
I also don’t want to go though the entire GDPR process to delete a decal which I uploaded 5 years ago and never used.

How would this benefit Roblox?
It would save storage capacity. Lots of assets are just sitting in the storage while they are never used. Having the ability to delete them will free up space.

16 Likes

Agree with the dude above. I dislike how what naïve people do are suddenly my problem and me, as a developer, has to magically navigate years of stuff. We’re often told that archiving fixes all of our problems. It doesn’t. If I own the IP of what I create, as outlined in the ToS then, it would make sense for me to have the option to delete my own work whenever I want. Having the massive digital footprint is extremely costly and wasteful for the mere argument that “omg someone will hack me and delete my stuff” or that the security sucks. Both of these, as far as I’m concerned, are not my problem. Roblox being a major platform without the option to delete is just silly.

If the main issue here is deletion, do what most sane people do and have a period of time (~20 days) to recover what has been lost. After that, there’s no point in trying to save anything. I feel like using an archive as a “haha u noob I banish thy” is abusing the point of an archive. I would typically use an archive to save stuff that is meaningful to me not to remove things completely out of view never to be seen again. Plus, it’s only a matter of time before your archive becomes a mess and you’re back to square one where moving to another account is better. I feel like moving to another account is probably a decent indication that this is horrible UX.

As a developer, emailing people over deleting content that you own is not favorable. If we, as developers, own the content then, it should be that we, as developers, can delete it.

Also as a side note, vulnerable accounts are made vulnerable by the following:

• Weak password. People use things that can be easily guessed at. Birthdays, names of siblings, etc. Use a strong, complex password.

• Don’t click any links that random people or people you know give you. One link can download a file which can trigger a range of issues. If you don’t know what it is, don’t press it.

• Don’t flex what you got on your account. People target accounts that have value: limiteds, robux, groups, games, etc.

• Failing to verify your account because for some weird reason on this platform… verification is still optional. Verification should be forced. A user should have to verify before they make it to the home page. This whole notion of “verify later” is severely flawed.

• Don’t go searching on the internet for free robux or free unlimited premium. Both of these don’t exist and the sites that claim to have it are in-fact malicious.

• Don’t paste things into your console via developer/debug tools via any web-browser. Most, if not all, execute code to steal your authentication cookie. With a cookie, they can do anything will your account. Auth cookie does not require a username and password. All it has to do is be passed into an HTTP request along with an CSRF token and your account is compromised.

• There are bots out there (ranking, group, etc) that use backdoors to pass your auth cookie to textfiles, external databases, etc to an unknown source. Read code. Make sure it does what you want and only what you want. A lot of people out there download stuff and have no idea how it works. Research.

Seen as all of these are 100% avoidable unless the site as a whole gets breached and we’re all screwed, I personally think that the argument that “omg my assets gonna be yankee doodle yeeted” is a bit of an edge case (mostly based on age & naive-factor) where the mass majority of users are relatively safe from.

yay moar securityz

14 Likes

Bumping this because we need more responses on this feature request:

Would be really nice if we had the ability to permanently delete assets off Roblox.
I understand there might be concerns following UGC accessories since UGC is gonna be public soon… but here’s an idea:

Before deleting an asset:

• Users will be prompted about deletion
  • They need to input a 2FA authentication code before deleting
  • Only the uploader of the item/asset can delete it, if it’s under a group owned by person A, but item uploaded by person B, only person B can delete it.
  • Users have 72 hours to un-delete their item (in case their account was stolen/the deletion was accidental)
    assets should show up until they are fully deleted from the catalog, to avoid people deleting/un-deleting accessories in order to make them invisible

After an asset was deleted:

• All pending funds go away (if any)
  • Buyers get refunds (if the price was higher than free)

For accessories/2D Clothing:

• If an asset (texture/mesh) used by an accessory was archived, the accessory will automatically be deleted in 72 hours
  • Should be able to be deleted like any other asset.

I believe we should truly be able to keep full control over assets we upload, as the Roblox platform expands.

11 Likes

Bumping this. A much needed feature.

4 Likes

Where are you going to get that money from to refund all the players?

1 Like

I feel this is still a much needed feature.

Recently uploaded an audio with no indication it was copyrighted. Gave it a solid week to make sure it wasn’t a problem, didn’t get removed, and uploaded the others I was waiting on.

Fast forward 2 weeks and the first audio is deleted for copyright. Why it took 2 weeks to be removed I’m not sure, but that’s fair I made a mistake so I emailed copyright_agent@roblox.com days ago to see about having the others removed explaining my situation and didn’t receive a response at all. Tried with Roblox support, received no response. Tried mod review requests, and received no response. If we aren’t going to be given a surefire way to correct honest mistakes I don’t really know what we’re expected to do - wait in limbo to get terminated?

6 Likes

I just came back to check this post. anyways, if the player has enough money to refund every player, then they can delete the item, if not then they shouldn’t be able to delete it. Or better case, if roblox is good, they could add no fee to delete an item, and just give funds out of their pockets (unfortunately this is also the least case scenario)

1 Like

I’m not sure how refunding would work, but I have a few items that haven’t been bought by anyone and that I would like to delete. This would be a cool feature :<

1 Like

Roughly 8 months ago I contacted copyright_agent@roblox.com to take down a long list of clothing.

Not only was I told that the assets on the list would be removed in 30 days (8 months later still haven’t) but when I got a strike on an asset on the list that I was previously told “No strike or moderation action should be applied to your account as a result of this request” on, it took me almost 8 months to appeal it with support CONSTANTLY insisting I either never requested the assets to be removed/archived, or never made any ticket under the number I provided (going back and forth between those two stories, often going multiple weeks-months without a response)

For an email address that’s meant to handle legal issues they sure don’t care about the potential for getting sued.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it make more sense to default a placeholder, push a warning to the console / studio console and call it a day? It’s a bit like open-source dependencies used by thousands of people. Backwards compatibility / stability isn’t ever guaranteed. It’s the norm to make things stable but, if I have no users except for me then, I am dealing with an imaginary issue that’s actively affecting my workflow based solely on a what-if. Have safeguards to protect what-ifs (like a holding period) and then, move on.

I get that archiving was meant to solve this issue but, now my archive is messy. So I have double the mess. So the alternative is quite literally, create a new account every couple of years and then, I am back to square one.

Deleting things that I want to delete fixes all these issues for me.

1 Like

Does GDPR only apply to ‘personal’ information or no?

P.S. I still think this is a much needed feature. Because we have no recourse to delete anything that has sensitive information. We cannot override our sounds or images or meshes but even with models and places that we can override, the old version is still in the version history. I understand not wanting to lose creations, and people getting hacked, and not wanting hackers to be able to just delete all of someones creations, but there should be a system if you archive an asset and it has been archived for X amount of time (month or so) then you should have the option to permanently delete it. You should also be able to delete versions from a version history if the version has not been the latest published version for X amount of time. Or maybe we should be able to schedule assets or asset/place versions for deletion in which case we would have X amount of time to cancel, or they will be forever gone.

And that would not be a problem for assets you never shared/made public anyway.

1 Like

How could deleting a decal ‘break’ a game? A decal is just a visual image shown to players. Worst case, the image will not render. How could that ‘break’ games to the extend that they are unplayable or ‘broken?’

A crosshair decal for a game that’s no longer actively maintained (ex: creator quit the platform) but still has a decently active player base is one simple example. One removal and a game’s ADS feature is trashed. Also consider UI elements that use the same asset id (ex: distributed through plugin) removed, consequently removing that UI element’s visual image from every game using it. Those are just two examples from the top of my head; I’m sure there are better ones out there.

1 Like

not to mention that they deleted the entire public audio library bar 5 second sound effects. you’re not replying to an actual argument, you’re just being lied to.

3 Likes

Yeah, I remember that. I was really ticked off actually. Really ticked off. Big time.

I understand on-sale or previously on-sale marketplace items being locked from deletion, but privately owned assets should be able to be deleted.

Archiving exists now which essentially deletes content but with the ability to restore it, so at this point there should be a permanently delete option.

1 Like

I noticed this post is from 2018 and its confusing to see it bumped back in 2024.

not sure if it had been mentioned in the long list of replies but ive been able to remove decals by going into the new creator page and archiving the decal from there. I have not tried other assets but I was able to remove decals uploaded years ago that pose a moderation risk.