About our upcoming Global Compliance System

I think the only information we have right now is that roblox is Going to or has started a market in China. If you visit the Chinese Roblox site, the only thing they are focusing on right now is just developing. i believe that roblox has the ability to solve those worries.

2 Likes

Will you disallow people from saying government-sensitive information in ROBLOX? Since I am pretty sure China doesn’t allow people spreading government-sensitive information.

2 Likes

You are right, but it doesn’t matter if you don’t enter the China Internet

2 Likes

Apart from that, China have the rights to get your private information about computer hardware/software. Will our user information be sent to them?

2 Likes

Not hardware, if you don’t use China internet, they can’t do anything about that.

What do you mean by competition? a STOLEN and EDITED version of your game being marketed to Chinese market is not competition.

10 Likes

It’s a horrifying thought, there should be worldwide copyright rules for things like this!

3 Likes

Well, this was an ok move. I have strong beliefs such as LGBT and equal human rights such as being non-discriminatory but I have a few questions:

1. If we want our game in China, will it have to be moderated for any content which the Chinese may not like? Like Winnie The Pooh for example.
    1b. If no to above, what are the consequences for inappropriate/Anti-Chinese content being released into that market?

2. Will the chat have to be disabled for Chinese players? In case they connect with a player from the USA (for example) who will tell them about how disgusting their government is?

3. Are you planning to move into other markets? Like Iran for example; or Saudi Arabia.

6 Likes

Well obviously. You have to comply with their rules before you’ll be even allowed into the market.

I’m more than sure that there’s going to be a chat filter dedicated for that. Roblox also has to comply with their standards before they went into the market.

The title of the post as well as most of the post focuses on the word global and during the 1st talk about localization at last year’s RDC they mentioned already entering the markets of Germany and France so yes they are planning to go for Saudi Arabia in the future.

1 Like

I think it’s great that we are welcoming new people but the fact that google (/YouTube), Facebook (/Instagram), Netflix, Twitch, Discord… are all blocked in China shows that ROBLOX as a company can still be huge without that base.

I’ve always been supportive of roblox’s updates no matter what because I speculated that it would yield good results. This one has me a bit worried.

Although roblox is a platform where political opinions should never be infringed on someone else, what I am afraid about is that Roblox will punish developers even when these political discussions are held outside the platform. I’m referring to Blizzard, Tencent and etc.

12 Likes

I assume that is the case, but I am asking these questions to 1. raise this possibility to the awareness of Roblox, if they may have somehow overlooked this in their planning. 2. hopefully get some sort of confirmation from Roblox staff so developers can sleep easy without having to worry about the possibility of their work being abused in the Chinese market without their consent.

Does this mean Roblox will unironically try and become available in North Korea?

16 Likes

Honestly to even think about having china first on the list was so much of a bad idea but I like the whole idea it self just the part where you will start out with china first or even give them the chance to do so.

1 Like

I know that. If you read my other replies in this thread, you would know that the reason why I am concerned is because while a copy of your game does not gain traction usually because players prefer to play the real game, if your game has not released to China for whatever reason, a copy could be published to China and gain traction (as the real game is not available to Chinese players, whereas the copy is).

I think every developer has the right to have their work not be published to other regions (in this case China) without their consent; if clones get released to China and start gaining traction there, that means your hard work may be gaining a profit in China, against your wishes, and you may be pushed to release your game to China (despite your reservations about doing so) in order to push aside the clone.

4 Likes

I am glad this is happening, but complying with China could mean a great deal of censorship, and censorship may not always be a good thing.

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t think working with China would work for me. There are currently a lot of things going on China right now (virus, concentration camps, etc). And in my opinion working with China would cause a lot of problems for how strict the laws are. It would put me under stress to keep up with the strict guidelines. :fearful:

2 Likes

I believe it’s a very relevant point of topic that Tencent will be the one moving ROBLOX into China. Ouch!

3 Likes

As read here in the press release of May 2019: (i.e. old news!)

2 Likes

There is no such thing as (enforceable) international laws. If I wanted to, I could create my own country and completely disregard copyright laws and nobody could do anything about it. edit: (this is assuming that I could actually find an unclaimed island in the middle of the ocean.)

4 Likes

“Our vision is to bring the world together through play”

This is a very great idea and I am very pleased to see how ROBLOX wants to expand its markets to other countries that might not be acceptable to the platform just yet. I have loved every bit of being on the platform throughout the years, and it would be nice to know others will get the same experiences that I have gotten! :+1:

9 Likes