[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Well if you have access to an ID or passport that ties directly to you, you can verify for 100 audios per month, but I notice that some people aren’t comfortable giving their ID/passport/other information to ROBLOX and that’s ok.

3 Likes

I don’t like the major gap between ID verified creators and non-ID verified creators, as a non-id-verified developer it seems as if Roblox is favouring ID-verified creators 10 times more than me.

ID verification shouldn’t be used by Roblox to determine whether the developer is worthy of such free audio limit increases.

Someone who hasn’t ID-verified can create 1 audio every 3 days, while someone who has ID verified can create 3 audios every day.

6 Likes

Can the audio uploaded by the developers of a game that is owned by a group be allowed in-game?

(I know the answer is no. This is an important request.)

6 Likes

What do we do if our music was uploaded by the commissioner and we do not have the original file? I talked to the commissioner and it still shows as the X.

4 Likes

For accounts that don’t have a verified id how many files a month can they upload?

1 Like

and how the unofficial audio services like strofee [Free Strofe music for the community] will work? will they keep working?

Don’t do this. I’d rather not have to reupload all of the music I want to use, thank you.

6 Likes

I think this is a poor update. It is a very short-end elaboration and announcement, making flexibility quite thin. Disabling already public audios without the users consent and then punishing the people who used it (with the sites permission) seems like a major step back. This is the biggest concern. It should not be a matter of ownership, but rather a matter of public/private. Creating audio is a major time strain, and is an expertise that most young developers lack, as it requires tools to produce that are not within their budget. If others offer their audio for the public, why should you pull the plug on the consumers of this and then try to paint over it as if it is a positive change for them?

13 Likes

Only 10. It should be there in the same paragraph.

1 Like

DevEx’d several times+premium… still 100/30 days. I think it’s because of your player visit count

2 Likes

Let’s remind ourselves that this isn’t just audio. It’s also meshes and other assets.

A good amount of free models use external meshes. What happens to the main page for models now?

9 Likes

Hmm not currently, maybe it’s based on total visits (MAU crowns) or something.

1 Like

Liking this update, but…

EVERY AUDIO LONGER THAN 6 SECONDS IS GOING TO GO PRIVATE?

SO MANY GAMES ARE GOING TO BREAK! THERE ARE MANY DEVS
WHO ONLY SOMETIMES UPDATE THEIR GAMES…

3 Likes

Strofe should work with the free audio uploads and I’ll contact the creator to make the public ones public.

2 Likes

@Maxx_J
I’m assuming it’ll still work after March 22nd since they already work privated, but it would be nice if it was able to detect user-uploaded audio that you own in a group game. I like to upload my audios under my account instead as it feels safer to have it not be attached to a group that can be transferred away.

Audio uploading fees vanishing is extremely exciting, even if most of what I upload now are sound effects!! My only concern is that I assume you can’t actually pay for more audios to be uploaded once you’ve used up your monthly quota. Is there any chance we can pay for audios again past this limit? Sort of like badges now.

I’m also really excited for there to finally be a free high-quality library of sound effects that we can use freely on the platform! I have long stopped using audios others uploaded since they can be taken down at any time, and I have absolutely no idea if they have the rights to upload it, and if I have the rights to use them. I often use sites like freesound & soundbible so I can go through CC0 audios and edit them as needed, then upload them myself privately.

Monstercat releasing more of their library is amazing as well as I think they have one of the highest quality libraries of music on Roblox currently, and I hope we can see some of our favorites getting added!

This definitely has its drawbacks, and it could be improved, but I’m quite hopeful that this should eventually lead to a cleaner library, but I am questioning, why are audios being privated that are longer than 6 seconds in the first place? Aside from it being for creators to manage their content better. Newly uploaded audios were already Private afaik. Can we expect any new measures to be taken? And for this cause, what stops users from doing the same thing?

3 Likes

Ten audio files per month without ID verification.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure everyone would like to move to unity at this point, considering how Roblox appears to always take 2 steps foward, yet 10 steps back at the same time. This update is going to destroy nearly every game on roblox if its implemented.

6 Likes

Compiling my thoughts a bit more.

If audio was set to PUBLIC by default and we could continue to pay for extra audio uploads, this would be far more bearable. When I say public, I do not mean freely purchasable on the catalog. I mean the audio should have a specific “use” property that can be toggled independently of sales, that is set to “available” by default.

Also, why the hell do I need to upload my ID to get a reasonable amount of audio uploads? I don’t feel like telling Roblox all my personal information for a bloody sound effect.

You knew DAMN well what you were doing with this and I am absolutely disgusted by this shady business practice.

21 Likes

As nice as free audio uploads are, this is an absolutely abhorrent update.

This will ruin plenty of games, and the fact that you can’t use audios that you uploaded on group games is terrible.

And now, the limit. WHY is it only 10 per 30 days for unverified players. I am not ID verified and never will. I believe this limit should be raised for non-verified people.

One of the worst updates thus far.

8 Likes

YEEEEEEESSS this is great thank you now I can do what I love which is great sound design for my game

5 Likes