[Action Needed] Upcoming Changes to Asset Privacy for Audio

Roblox needs a new management team, these kinds of updates keep dragging the value down.

6 Likes

I hope to all that is holy that these stock sounds are actually good and that the audio market can be navigated better.

1 Like

Roblox, you have created so many more problems with this ā€˜updateā€™. As @IllusionBacon is doing, Iā€™m also stepping away from developing until the state of asset privacy has been mostly finalized (and hopefully, not as bad as being envisioned by your company at the moment). I would also like to discuss another issue that isnā€™t being talked about much in this thread - server space.

As you can see in the video above, one of the main workarounds to get an audio owned by somebody else to ā€˜workā€™ in your own projects is to reupload it yourself. This means an entire new asset has to be hosted on your servers Roblox. Yes, a lot of developers will unnecessarily have to reupload audios, one same audio could say have dozens to hundreds of copies uploaded to the library - this is a big waste of space for you, the server host. Before this update, players often check to see if a song is on the library already before considering uploading it - if itā€™s already on the library, they donā€™t create an audio for it and simply use the existing ID as is. That is much more environmentally friendly it virtually halts unnecessary duplicate audios existing on the Roblox library, clogging so much of your server space.
And @omegamezle I pray that does not happen regarding meshes. I hate to say this, but Roblox privatizing audios was a bit justified as it was due to copyright lawsuits with music rights companies in excess of millions of dollars. Having said that, meshes and decals do not have a solid copyright system in the real world like audios do, so I find it extremely unnecessary to apply the same privacy stuff to these assets.
Iā€™m also seeing a few people saying ā€˜make an altā€™ to get past the monthly audio limit, do not do this, as audio uploaded by your alt will only be usable on that alt accountā€™s projects.
To conclude, I absolutely think is ā€˜updateā€™ is unnecessary and will result in your own detriment, Roblox. There is a massive opposition from the community, you cannot ignore it.

15 Likes

I wonder if Roblox is still sticking to the ā€œPowering Imaginationā€ part of things.

5 Likes

You didnā€™t know that you canā€™t use your own audio in group places and vice versa? Yeah, well you canā€™t!

4 Likes

Nah we are getting on the magic other game design platform bus!

4 Likes

Pros:

• Free audio uploads (but very limited without ID).
  • Better management of assets for games.
  • Reduces impact of leaking and copyright issues.

Cons:

• The iconic boombox will become severely limited to only in game audio and default Roblox ones/officially licensed audio.
  • A large majority of games will become visually and audibly broken as many sounds are not sound effects or do not fall within the set time for public use.
  • Not to mention that a large portion of free models on the workshop will suddenly become unusable due to their use of ā€œprivateā€ meshes in a ā€œpublicā€ model. Trees are a major example of this (something which I heavily depend upon to make my game look semi-decent). Although this is only if they go ahead with the mesh portion of what has been listed in the OP.
  • Even more duplicate audio filling the libraries of Roblox.

Most of this could be avoided by only having it apply to new assets and allowing developers to alter older oneā€™s to the new system where needed imo.

Good idea for many reasons, terrible execution.

3 Likes

I believe this post is quickly turning to arguments and useless ranting. Iā€™m gonna post my final thoughts before itā€™s hidden by arguments.

The update makes sence. I saw this update coming, but the was this is being executed is unacceptable. We need more time and better tools, and a higher audio limit for this initial period. I really hope roblox changes how they are enforcing this update.

I saw this coming. This happened to YouTube, twitch, it was inevitable roblox would get hit by the copyright wave.

Please fix the way you are coming at this update roblox.

3 Likes

You guys released this post early, it isnā€™t April Fools Day yet!!

6 Likes
  • No, the ability to set audio to public will be temporarily paused while other solutions are being looked into. We do not have an estimate for when we will re-enable the ability for you to change an asset from private to public.

Okay but joke comments aside, couldnā€™t you have at least finished this whole feature THEN add the deadline? It would give devs more time to prepare, but since we canā€™t manage these permissions yet itā€™ll make the transition not seamless at all. Not all audio sources in a game are owned by the group or the person who made the game and itā€™s just gonna cause games to have a lot of missing sounds until those ā€œsolutions are looked intoā€

4 Likes

This is really tearing the the platform apart

4 Likes

Arenā€™t these the guys theyā€™re trying to cater towardā€¦?

1 Like

Running the government out of the contrary leave or completely shut it down leave XD

1 Like

What is Roblox becoming?

This is going to break ā€¦ well, everything.

3 Likes

they didnā€™t sue, even if they did, they would make a different update, this update would only make the situation worse, and as i know roblox has no issues with copyright anymore

Let it drop! Maybe then the terrible management will open their eyes.

2 Likes

Why are Roblox Updates getting even worse science 2021? i mean Roblox changed soo much stuff thats i had to do from new like all the animations because they where saved on my profile not in my group and not this? thanks for making everything harder.

1 Like

In my opinion, a new version of the Toolbox should be made instead (but also having the option of using the old version of the Toolbox). That said, a new Toolbox that has all filtered, sounds that are not copyrighted, no repeated objects in it because believe it or not, there is a huge amount of repeated assets in the Toolbox (search for ā€˜Treeā€™ and you will see a bunch of ā€˜Animated Treeā€™ assets all the way down).

In my game there are some sounds which are selected as red, one of them is from a disaster event in my game and I use it so when it reaches a certain time frame (in the audio) I play an explosion sound followed by another thing. How am I going to be able to replace this sound (if I were to replace this and not find the right sound, I will be forced to change how the event plays out)? Will there be better options in the new sounds provided?

2 Likes

13 Likes

When I read this post with fellow members and friends, I was really excited due to the free audio uploading.

I dont mind the idea of private audios, itā€™s really the way it was planned out which got me (and a ton of people) a little disappointed.

This practically will affect almost every game on roblox - which is cool in copyright means, but a ton of sounds, usually music, are locked behind forced audio privacy. (which causes a lot of problems)

Iā€™m in for audio privacy, but I really donā€™t like it when we get forced changes where we have to workaround vigorously

2 Likes