Add primitive shapes to SpecialMesh

As a Roblox developer, it is currently hard to create some basic shapes without using CSG, especially cones, and also toruses and pyramids.

Even with CSG, shapes may not look as smooth as wanted, and if you want to change the model, such as make the radius of the shape wider, or don’t want it to be symmetrical, you have to separate the entire model, and meticulously angle negative parts around it to have the desired shape. This is time consuming in and of itself, but you also have the added likelihood of a union error, or going over the triangle limit. Example: Attempted “Cone”, really an octagonal pyramid, is irregular and looks terrible image

You could use a Mesh, but these are not compatible with normal part negation and unions, if you want to easily subtract or add to the shape within Studio, and are harder to scale. image

I propose that a few shapes are added to SpecialMesh, under the property MeshType. Adding Cone, Torus, and Pyramid could make building much easier and more efficient, like the current SpecialMesh shapes such as Sphere, Head, and Torso, which are extremely useful.

Current SpecialMeshes: image

Proposed shapes:
Cone (Mesh used to demonstrate scalability and symmetry) - image

Torus (Having the different sized inner radius of the hole in the torus, shown in the 3rd and 4th models, would require an extra Property along with the SpecialMesh) - image

Pyramid (Similar to the inner radius of the torus hole, Pyramids could have a Property for their base shape (triangle, square, pentagon, hexagon, etc.) - image

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it could make the game experience better by having shapes load in faster, as I am under the impression that meshes are more efficient than unions, and it would improve development experience by having a wider range of basic shapes that are scalable in the same way a normal part is, and that is compatible with unions, making building easier and more efficient.

16 Likes

Use M0RGOTH’s CSG Primitives plugin
(And pyramid is basically a cone with 4 segments through the plugin)

I am aware of this plugin, but it is currently broken for me (Number sections stay blank).

The point of implementing this would to have ease-of-use for these shapes, making parts easier and faster to scale. M0RGOTH’s plugin does essentially work the same way, but it uses unions, which you cannot scale in independent directions, it doesn’t include pyramids, and uses unions, where meshes would be more efficient.

I feel like since there are mesh-specific properties you are looking to add, they should serve as separate instances (ex: TorusMesh and PyramidMesh).

About the plugin, did you update it? You probably have an outdated version.
And yea, new primitives would be cool.

This should go in the Client Features (#feature-requests:client-features) category, since you are suggesting a modification to the API (of SpecialMesh), which also affects live game servers since the objects will be seen in-game as well.

Think of it like this: if it doesn’t just affect Studio, it should go in Client Features.

You can move your post to the right category by hitting the pencil icon next to the title, and selecting the right category.

2 Likes