Add proper high DPI scaling to Studio

As a Roblox developer, it is currently annoying to use Studio because every time it updates I have to go through and manually disable DPI scaling for it. If I do not do this, the UI is blurry and ugly. When I do it, all the icons and buttons become very small and as someone who uses a TV as a monitor, this makes me very sad. I would ideally not have to disable it since I like being able to see things but I do not like having blurry icons and text.

For at least the last several years, there has been an issue where Studio’s DPI scaling makes everything out of focus and horrible. This has been reported before and is probably not new information to any engineer.

When it was reported, a fix was not possible because Studio was running on an outdated version of QT. This is as recently as October of 2020:

However, I am told that Studio is now running on a new version of QT (thank you Studio team, very cool!) so I am once again asking for a fix to this issue and, more specifically proper support for high DPI scaling.

For reference, these are two unmodified screenshots from Studio. The top one has DPI scaling enabled and the bottom one has it disabled.

(image

One of these is a lot nicer to look at on a TV but it comes at the cost of being a lot less crisp. :frowning:

18 Likes

(merged from duplicate feature request)

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use high DPI displays with Roblox Studio (and the client). There have been many, many, many, many threads about high DPI over the years, all marked as bug reports.

However, it seems that high DPI support is a missing feature, not a bug. Proper high DPI support was supposedly only recently made possible with the upgrade of the Qt framework, that has been previously mentioned by staff members in many of the above threads.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I would not need to choose between manually overriding scaling settings (and getting tiny UI in some places as a consequence) and having blurry, unreadable UI.

5 Likes

As a Roblox developer, it’s currently difficult to take high-quality screenshots and recordings for tutorials. Zooming in on important details results in distractingly pixelated images. In other programs like Discord and Chrome, I can scale up the entire interface to get a better screenshot, but doing so in Roblox results in a lot of strange behavior.

Adding proper high DPI scaling would massively improve the image quality of my tutorials. :slight_smile:

3 Likes