Add "SelectionCylinder" and "SelectionWedge" as Selection elements

Hello everyone!

At the moment, it is currently impossible to have a SelectionBox element inside parts to outline a Wedge or Cylinder when adding outlines to those specific parts when making a statue for a defense game as an outline or maybe an outline building/structure inside studio for anything, basically.

Along with my opening statement, I’m not quite sure with Roblox to have ever considered adding this to the Engine or if it was here before but deprecated for some unknown reason

Anywho, the only Selection properties/elements that Roblox has given to us by default for many years now are SelectionBox, SelectionSphere, and SurfaceSelection. When you apply one of these onto the Wedge or Cylinder part it creates an outline but not an actual “outline” along the lines of the parts.

^ Below me is an image of using SelectionBox and SelectionSphere with all 4 main parts:

Why is this important? Well since having new elements/properties like SelectionWedge or SelectionCylinder would make things easier for most developers who use this kind of element for building or other situations like for me, an eye-catching notice to show users that this is something you must protect and watch for.

Why not just use SelectionBox as a replacement instead of waiting for SelectionWedge? For me, it doesn’t outline the entire cylinder or wedge from X, Y, and Z fully as it measures by studs from X, Y and Z instead of outlining all the lines on a wedge or cylinder. Yes a cylinder doesn’t have lines but giving that SelectionSphere is going to be similar to SelectionCylinder as it would behave the same for both.

If Roblox is able to address this feature, it would improve my development a lot because I can have more varieties of parts that Roblox gives us at default to outline and customize through scripts for players to recognize like in my game, a statue would have an outline for all the parts to recognize that this is something they need to protect/guard in-game.

SelectionCylinder: Outlines the whole cylinder and behaves like a cylinder being outlined fully.
SelectionWedge: Same as above but outlines the slant of the wedge as well.

So, what are your thoughts on having SelectionWedge and SelectionCylinder become an element?

10 Likes

And one for CornerWedge too.

Also, instead of adding a new class for each of these, there could be a new MatchPartShape (I couldn’t think of a better name) property of SelectionBox that would make it match the shape of the parent part. When false, it would behave like it does now, making a rectangle shape, but when true, it would use the Shape property of the part to determine the outline shape. If the Adornee is something else, like a Model or Union, MatchPartShape wouldn’t do anything.

EDIT: The reason for having MatchPartShape is for backwards compatibility, so that older games that use SelectionBoxes would look the same.

1 Like

Brilliant! That is another way that SelectionBox could behave and handle to certain parts that I’ve mentioned above and CornerWedge, but I guess having separate property behaviors would somewhat work but having something like MatchPartShape is something I would use for all of my parts in a future project.

Anywho, I like that idea a lot along with SelectionCylinder and SelectionWedge!

Related feature request that I think could really move selections to the next level:

1 Like