Add support for Fullscreen

Literally the most pointless updates is the ones where roblox affects alt-enter fullscreen. All it does is just make the gameplay (slightly) worse.

63 Likes

I pretty quickly noticed how much worse games felt after that FFlag was removed, the microstuttering is crazy if you’ve unlocked your framerate. I don’t see any reason why exclusive fullscreen and/or V-Sync shouldn’t be an option in the settings. Fast paced FPS and obby games benefit heavily from having the least input latency possible, and Alt+Enter with the FFlag really helped to that end.

47 Likes

What do you mean? You’re saying “Not to be confused with borderless fullscreen” but that’s literally fullscreen??

I’m probably just not understanding it correctly

14 Likes

You know what roblox is like :person_shrugging: they remove the basic things that actually arent basic but themselves are something that enhances their own gameplay.

27 Likes

Borderless windowed would be more accurate, and that’s what F11 toggles. It’s not fullscreen in the same way your average game on Steam would have.

21 Likes

Roblox should add this feature back, it was necessary for G-Sync and V-Sync to do their job at their full potential. It would also be nice if Roblox added support for the G-Sync windowed mode.

Edit 2024: They seem to have done it last year! I forgot to edit this…

32 Likes

I relied on this for quite some time- there’s a lot of benefits to be gained from real fullscreen. I got a significantly better experience from fullscreen, as I use an fps unlocker.

I would like to make engaging, fast paced games built with 144-fps in mind- things like this make that hard to do…

26 Likes

Can you please explain what “exclusive fullscreen” is to the uninitiated (AKA me)? What is the difference between “exclusive fullscreen” and desktop or borderless? Does it mean keeping the resolution while scaling everything to fit the window?

Edit: I think I’ve understood. From my experience with CS:GO, desktop fullscreen is what you are referring to as “borderless” as it’s a window without borders at your monitor’s resolution, whilst exclusive fullscreen is the normal fullscreen in CS:GO, where it maintains the same resolution but takes over the whole screen. Is this correct?

10 Likes

More or less. When your game is in windowed mode, it’s being rendered on your display along any other programs running in the background. Borderless is the same but the game can cover the whole screen. Exclusive Fullscreen gives the game full control over the display and allocates more GPU resources to the game.

21 Likes

Borderless fullscreen is a Windowed but covers your screen like what fullscreen does, This option works similarly to Fullscreen but it cuts off the border from the window (Minimize, Fullscreen and Close are also hidden)

The only difference is that you can move your mouse to another screen if the game is running in this mode.

17 Likes

I don’t understand why they would remove something like this, it seems pointless to remove a feature that only improves the platform let alone make it worse, it’s very simple to just keep it there

I’m a low-end PC player, I greatly benefit from this, and this feature being removed hurts alot

38 Likes

Fullscreen optimizations (implemented in Windows 10) could be used by default for Roblox with little downside. Fullscreen optimizations greatly improve the performance and input latency of the game as it passes through DWM (a Windows component that composites every window, adding effects to it like drop shadows, V-Sync and giving it its own buffer) in a highly optimized state, which basically gives the same effect as fullscreen exclusive. Fullscreen with fullscreen optimizations also works with borderless fullscreen.

Fullscreen exclusive completely bypasses DWM (the compositor), but it can not be borderless, it’s slower to fullscreen and generally harder to work with. This is why fullscreen optimizations are preferred.

Regarding screen tearing, it would be good if there was a V-Sync option in-game that could be toggled somehow. As an example, Alt + Enter could not have V-Sync, while regular F11/fullscreen could. Typically, Roblox relies on not using FSO (fullscreen optimizations) or FSE (fullscreen exclusive) for its V-Sync, but that comes at a major downside of stutters, input lag, and worse performance.

For older Windows versions that do not have proper FSO, regular F11 could be going through DWM, and Alt + Enter could be using fullscreen exclusive.

As a note, borderless fullscreen is where the game is a completely borderless window that covers your entire screen. This has the benefit of being fast to get into or out of, and alt-tabbing is easy. Regular fullscreen is where the game has complete control over the display. With FSO enabled (which it is by default), regular fullscreen (FSE) is basically emulated and it uses borderless fullscreen in a highly optimized state.

• Written by he3als from the Grapejuice server
37 Likes

Roblox generally needs more options to customize your graphics.

34 Likes

I agree, ROBLOX has ignored this issue and it gets annoying when you play a game and hear your fans.

22 Likes

I noticed this and found it really upsetting. I play a mouse-based rhythm game a lot, and there is now no way to fix the very much noticeable input delay. There was no reason for Roblox to remove exclusive fullscreen, and then remove the FFlag months later. Really hope they add another way to get exclusive fullscreen again.

23 Likes

So that’s why I noticed such FPS drops… :laughing:
I upvoted and I hope the function will be back.

18 Likes

Roblox has removed this Fast Flag and people were able to work around it last week by using a previous version. However, this was quickly patched due to “file checks” that would not let you join an experience if you had an older version’s files. For a couple of hours, roblox turned the file check and added it back. Is the Alt + Enter (true fullscreen) allowed for roblox since this is technically modifying the client? Removing roblox’s textures for higher FPS was also patched.

15 Likes

I think both of these are more for security or consistency than for ruining performance. And also, I really doubt you’d get more than 5 FPS from deleting all your textures. Just a bit of a nitpick, I also think they should re-add the proper fullscreen.

10 Likes

I see no differences in between removing textures and keeping the textures, it doesn’t increase FPS or fixing stuttering even if i was on my old laptop. (did this before 2021)

But for textures, i think it was replaced by the new ones or encrypted in another file.

7 Likes

In my opinion, the decision is quite pointless. There seems to be no good reason to remove this in the first place. Exclusive fullscreen is a necessity in many fast-paced games on the platform.

15 Likes