Addressing the issues with troll posts and Proposed Solutions to fix them

I changed the title before I gave the argument. Stop spreading false information.

Your quotes are completely out of context. Stop spreading false info. If you don’t have anything useful or contributive to the situation, don’t say it.

I’m not going to continue with this argument that’s between me and you. I know its useless because you have nothing contributive to say

Couldn’t be a weaker argument. The DevForum isn’t supposed to be a place for trolls. Imagine the chaos that would ensue should the DevForum close down just like the Public Forums did.

2 Likes

Got curious, found some of the trolling users shown above.

I guess it’s better than nothing, but yeah, your point stands.

1 Like

One did get suspended permanently, if it makes you feel any better.

3 Likes

Yeah. Luis did, but sam got away with it :confused:

While I still contemplate the devforum and its users/rules. I used to have this friend of mine who always said that “Roblox Devforum are too serious, they expect all people to be serious all the time when it is the only official type of forum Roblox has” – 2020.

I’m neutral on that opinion, but what he did say is true when Roblox’s community only has 1 type of official communication, some people will just join to have conversations with each other and crack each other up/troll, and you might be thinking: well why not discord, twitter, reddit, unofficial forums? Because there are people that like official places. Most of the developers on Roblox are on the developer forum, and many are in discord, but this, this is official, and this is where all the cool stuff happens, where you can actually talk to a developer and not get barged by a discord e-girl in a developer server. And that is how the trolls/children(trying to fake their ages) will look at it too.

Now there are some possible solutions to this, firstly I think if Roblox puts in a 3rd party verification system for a voice chat feature, then I think Roblox is more than capable of making a verification system for the devforum, and I’m talking about seriously making more strict: the rules and policies. And treating this like a professional site, so when an ex-webdeveloper/other engine developer, is skimming through the internet to find another community of developers they don’t see a mayhem of children deciding which among us character looks cooler, but stack-overflow level conversations.

3 Likes

Well your interesting “meme” definition violates the DevForum rules:

3 Likes

Correct.

(He can’t reply right now though since he’s suspended until Friday (March 3rd))

2 Likes

Out of all the given solutions, I think a quiz for reading the rules could be the most helpful. To me, it’s a matter of forcing users to get familiar with the rules as they’re forming their first ideas about the nature of the forum.

Also, I don’t think that finding more trolls and troll posts to talk about on this thread is very helpful to actually getting the problem fixed.

2 Likes

It’d be a waste of time and effort since all the answers would be out online very quickly and defeat the purpose of it. No matter how many questions where you can compile and throw them into the mix, you’ll end up with everything out in the wild.

Regardless of how someone gets ahold of the answers, they’re still being forced to enter facts about the rules into a form, which is probably going to cause them to process what they’re putting down to some degree. Of course, this isn’t going to stop people who blatantly troll just for the sake of trolling, but it might help inform people who don’t know any better and post joke topics because they never took the time to read the rules.

1 Like

Tbh I laugh hard at these trolls

3 Likes

Very interesting topic…

My proposed solution would be:

• Create an intermediate rank between Visitor and Member, for sake of explanation and lack of a better name, called “New Member”, TL0.5
  • Ratelimit posts and replies from TL0.5, something like 3 post replies in a day and 1 new post per week, reply limit waived on their own posts
  • Lock problematic categories like DD from New Member, or add even stricter ratelimits to DD posts like “1 post in a 3 month period”
  • Automatically rank up users to Member if they meet certain criteria like “80% of posts not taken down and less than 5 posts taken down in a 3 month period, all statistics”

I believe this would be an effective solution because it would increase the time cost needed for a determined troll, allow new users limited access to learn the rules, and incentivize good posting as a consistently good poster would get ranked up in 3 months while a bad poster would take 1 year or two at worst, his consistent damage mitigated by the ratelimits.

4 Likes

Great. I’ll add that to the OP. :slight_smile:

Edit: There. Done :slight_smile:

1 Like

Moderators should also use context clues to see if the account is just made for trolling or if it’s a genuine account who posted something unknowingly.

3 Likes

Agreed. Its pretty obvious these days to tell whether the account is just made for trolling and causing chaos or not. I’ll add your solution to the OP.

Edit: Done

1 Like

Due to a recent situation, where a single user created a bunch of alts for the sole purpose of trolling, it has become clear that part of this problem is alternate accounts. A solution to this could be requiring email verification, and only allowing one account per email. However this may not do much as it is easy to create an email address.

That is already a thing and even then nothing stops a user from making a new email account. If anything, they should ip ban said users.

1 Like

It is? Cool I guess, I was unaware that it existed. Is the one account/email a thing though?

A VPN could easily bypass an IP Ban though.

1 Like

I feel like this would be a great time to bump this topic when I found this Talent Hub post:

Yeah. This is real.
When I saw devforumtxt’s tweet with this screen shot I looked at the Talent Hub to see for myself and it was true.

Please Roblox. Do something about this nonsense.

1 Like