Adjusting the Color3 of a MeshPart Texture

Roblox acknowledged this feature request in another thread, hopefully more info comes soon.

5 Likes

This is my second day looking at MeshParts. Honestly, feeling a bit dumb here. Why can’t we just change the MeshPart’s color? I’m clearly missing the use case. I have an axe. It is white. I change the MeshPart’s color. Now, it is a red axe.

-Just trying to understand better.
Thanks

2 Likes

Let’s not forget to add this to PBR as well!

4 Likes

I hope for an eventual unity between Decals, Textures, and SurfaceAppearance. They all seem to have their own quirks and use cases and it would be nice to finally condense them into one object.

5 Likes

I agree, unification of properties between everything would be great. I’m still constantly held back by the limited texture options MeshParts have! Adding Color3 would be a big help.

3 Likes

Roblox please do something about this, why are only meshparts ignored when all the other types of material tools like decals and textures are praised? It really doesn’t make sense and it’s driving me crazy.

2 Likes

You can do this already with transparent textures and surface apperance I’m pretty sure

1 Like

i just realized this is 6 yrs old woops

2 Likes

Another bump!
I need this for clothing for my custom character.

One of the many reasons why Roblox is not treated as a viable game engine. You’d think they’d address this after six years but nope!

4 Likes

bumping, add this already @Roblox no reason at all this shouldn’t be a feature

9 Likes

Bump, how on earth has this not been implemented yet since all these years ?
Roblox looks to force us to us MeshParts over SpecialMesh, but they haven’t even given us the possibility to change the color ? smh.

Something I also liked with SpecialMesh over MeshPart is the possibility to make the collision different from the visual using Scale and Offset properties, it would be great to have this on MeshParts too.

3 Likes

Checking in after 7 years and it’s not added yet, this would make development so much easier!!!

1 Like

You’ll be able to achieve this effect using a combination of mesh parts and editable meshes, when editable meshes release:

I am aware of the above reply, but I would still really like to see this functionality come to meshparts and surface appearance as properties

2 Likes

There is currently a pending release that should add this functionality to SurfaceAppearance

3 Likes

so many instances are missing color properties…

mesh textures, surfaceappearance, sunrays, etc.

This doesn’t help, we need a system just like the CrackedLava material has on Roblox, where only some parts can be coloured.

This is already doable with a surface appearance. Basically you can make the area that you want to tint, slightly transparent. Then change the color of the part and that area will be using the parts color!

(This only works with the “Overlay” AlphaMode.)

I’ve never had this work, every time I tried this the transparent area would remain the same colour, is this a new feature?

maybe you are finding: Using Alpha Masks in Color Maps to Customize/Tint Base Colors - Resources / Roblox Staff - Developer Forum | Roblox