Advice needed for optimizing big structures!

Hello!

A friend of mine and I, are working together on making these big skyscrapers for a City game.

(image of a couple for some insight)

As you’re probably seeing right now, these building are very detailed and made fully with roblox parts.

Each building is 100+ blocks, and as you probably know wont run very smooth on a full city game with many skyscrapers like these.

I’ve heared that with using meshes you can significantly reduce triangles therefor having it run smoother, but I’m not very experienced with blender and I do not know of a way I can turn these models into meshes (also there are 100’s of parts overlapping so that, and its size could probably mess up converting to 3D model if im correct)

In other words, I am just looking for any tips on how I can approach optimizing these- and future builds.
If anyone has any tips for me on what I could do best in my situation, any help is appreciated!

5 Likes

Well I’ve explained this on one of the posts that I replied so same stuff will work fine with that.
I will list plugins that can help you on the bottom.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

1. Union parts that share same material

• Unioning parts will lower the part count so the device doesn’t have to render all of it but don’t get me wrong, union as much as you can but not everything if you do that it will cause performance problems. Just aim for a low count of parts per model.
  • And yeah you can union parts that has different colors the only catch is they have to share the same material.

2. Cast Shadow

• Just disable small or parts that does not have to cast shadow you will see an great performance improvement. You can use this plugin so it will make your job easier.

3. Use blender and Render Fidelity

• Yeah basically turn your unions to meshes and you can change
  • About RenderFidelity it basicly lowers the details of meshes when you are far away from it.

4. Collision and Collision Fidelity

• Just close Cancolide option for the details that player won’t interact with and change CF option that will help.

Links:

CastShadowOptimiser

PartPicker

If this helped you out please let me know!

Stay safe. :white_check_mark:

3 Likes

For managing big builds it’s extremely important to union builds that are huge or have 100+ parts like you said. You should union the ones with the same material. If you have any problems with unionizing you should union lower amounts so it doesn’t overload Roblox studio.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.