Aerodynamics Simulation

Not really. Either do the physics calculations or possibly do as 5kylines suggests and utilize constraints, though the best results will come from good physics calculations and force controls.

The object’s in plane crazy are un-anchored as soon as you hit the play button.

If they are unanchored then they have to deal with physics in some way. Either by using “body movers” or constraints.

If you have one that would work better, how would I use it?

I don’t follow. Have one what?

Body Movers, or constraints, which one do you suggest?

If it were me doing it. I would utilize the new version body movers which are basically just force controls. VectorForce, etc…

But its probably fine to utilize things like the bodyVelocity and BodyGyro objects.

If I were to use VectorForce’s, How would I balance it?

You really need to understand physics a bit for that.

Summation of forces… So gravity is a downward force, that pushes an object downward at certain acceleration (9.8 m/s/s) in real life. When an object is on the ground, the ground supplies a counter force that makes the object stop. So using the Vector forces is all about applying a force in a specific direction and at a specific magnitude to cancel a force, overtake that force, or reduce that force with a an opposite force.

But how exactly would I determine: The force for the VectorForce, and where its positioned.

Force = Mass * Acceleration * Direction(vector3)

How would I use a BodyVelocity instance?

Body velocity object handles the force calculations for you but you still need to supply a direction and speed. It will maintain that direction and speed until its changed.

How would I determine if a wing is shot off?

Up to you really. Touch event probably. I’ve given you enough information to be able to figure this stuff out though. Now its up to you… GL with your plane bud.

Ur going too hard on urself, from what I can see in the way u talked in ur replies u are a beginner. I’d recommend u to not jump to moving things so fast.

Anyway, I’d recommend using a vector force for moving up and down and front and back, and if u want it to steer using keys use a BodyAngularVelocity, for mouse steering u will need a body gyro and set its cframe to mouse.Origin every heartbeat. Mouse steering will be a bit more complex for u and I’m on phone so I don’t want to go over things in detail rn

BodyAngularVelocity Instances only rotate on a global axis, I prefer to use body gyros.

Plane crazy utilizes a variety of complicated formulas to simulate drag coefficients and other values to simulate an airfoil, i have tried this before and unless you have a good grasp on the aerodynamics concepts already, it is extremely difficult, That said there are a couple of topics regarding this and i will send you some links as soon as i find them.

Also, if you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, here is a script with the basic functionality:

If yo do want to reinvent the wheel however, here is a link to a bunch of stuff regarding the topic:

2 Likes

I was wanting to find out how to do this recently too. I have no clue how to script any of this, but this is a brief idea of what sort of thing you’d need to do to get this to work.

From what I’ve read, you might want to create a system that handles the aircraft using BodyMovers and BodyGyros and adjusts them based on the orientation of the control surfaces. The surfaces would be moved using the position of the mouse. I’m not sure how to calculate lift on a wing realistically, however you could perhaps change the value for the amount of lift a wing generates based on speed and pitch.

There’s a free model aircraft by Sleitnick that flies like how you want it to, so maybe you could have a look in there to see how it works. You could also contact Rickje to see if he could give you any insights.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m just going to do it a bit more simpler, like you said, using body movers and body gyro’s.

Thanks, for replying.

1 Like