All forum users should have a path forward to be able to post in feature requests

Funny you say that cus I recently had the conversation publicly and we came to the opposite conclusion to what you’re trying to say. Reason why, because I know how difficult of a task it is to come up with a system that requires as little intervention from humans as possible and do its job properly without upsetting everyone at the same time. There are also other ways that get you what you want. You just need to be patient.

Anyways, I’m going to mute and stop responding to this post here as it turned from a good cause to crapping all over regulars cus I’m trying to be reasonable with you all. Hope you guys have a good day :slight_smile:

In my opinion I agree.

It’s sort of like you can’t put someone in prison if they haven’t done a crime.

You can’t give regulars special privileges if you can’t become a regular.

That’s not the best simile but I hope it makes sense.

3 Likes

I went to ask here about how to become a regular but I literally couldn’t even make a thread on THIS CATEGORY.

I am a roblox regular.
Roblox is my JOB.
I have 516 days visited, 2d read time, 12.3k posts read, and 265 hearts received.

When do I become regular enough, as a roblox developer who can literally afford to buy a house on his roblox-earned money, to post on these stupid boards?

For a company sapping around 75% of my actual income to pay their own expenses, I feel absolutely disrespected that I cannot use the forum to any real capacity. This is degrading.

7 Likes

They closed becoming a regular on 2020, and stopped talking about it. I have some great features and bugs that cant be heard because Roblox doesn’t think members should. Lucky me.

3 Likes

This is straight up offensive. How is that even supposed to work? Eventually they’re just going to straight up run out of regular posters and just have empty husks of boards.

No wonder the bug report and feature requests categories are full of such drivel - They’ve not actually had a unique/new perspective to add since 2020! How can you expect good feature requests and bug reports from the same old tired group of people?

I earned this company enough that I darn well think I should be able to post in these boards. The insult is real.

4 Likes

Yes you can…?

The only place you can’t make a topic is the main category, but that’s by design as no one can:

Or unless I’m misunderstanding you?

On the forum, those aren’t high stats. This is one the reasons why stats don’t determine if someone should be regular; they don’t show whether or not someone is actually qualified but just have low statistics or if someone isn’t qualified but have high statistics.

The Regular TL isn’t determined by how much money you make; it’s determined by how much Roblox can trust you to access to important categories.

It’s like this because the ratio of members to regulars is extremely high and because anyone can receive the Member TL by just browsing, that’s not a very secure way to protect those categories.

You can use the forum to a high capacity, you just don’t have access to post and/or make topics in a few categories.

He means he cant post feature requests to the site/engine. Only for the forum(which ngl sucks)

2 Likes

Apologies, it was impossible to tell, as being in the “forum help” category simply doesn’t show the sub-categories - I didn’t even realize the sub-categories existed until I backed out to the main page and saw them. Truly, I dislike this entire forum software as a whole due to weird ass stuff like that. Most forum softwares don’t have the category holder as a category in itself like this unusual nonsense does, so I literally never end up knowing if I’m even at the right place. That’s a personal complaint more than anything - I’m used to good’ ol SMF-style forums, not this hip stuff.

Either way. I’m a developer. I’ve been here since 2009. If you can’t trust me, who can you trust? Judging by the posts on this thread, the “regulars” aren’t anything special, just something you can’t even seemingly get anymore. I’d dare say there are people over-qualified to be regulars now that aren’t, and people who probably don’t need to be regulars that made the cut before they stopped promoting people. Either way it is NO STATE for a proper forum, and needs to have some consistency and achievability put in. My original point stands strong in that regard - embarrassing and degrading.

There’s recent controversy of how much of the cut roblox gets - Basically taking a large majority of the profits a developer generates - Which is why I bring it up. I don’t agree with the sentiment that robox takes too much, but my mind is certainly willing to change if they can’t even allow me access to the important parts of their forum, the parts a developer needs access to in order to properly document issues and request features to continue generating roblox’s profits. It is not a lot to ask. At all.

4 Likes

Also, just to note,

Regulars normally complain that us members are often “not professional” and it “doesn’t belong on here”, while they have access to #lounge, but we dont. I’m pretty sure that the rules are less strict in lounge. Normal members dont have anywhere to make slightly fun posts, but regulars have that.

4 Likes

No worries

I somewhat agree with this; every now and then, there are problematic regulars that pop up.

Are you asking for access to lounge?

No, I was making a point that regulars often call us unprofessional and get mad at us for having any fun, yet they have lounge where they can have a little bit of fun, but we dont, so there’s no reason to them getting mad at us for making jokes and flagging it

1 Like

Lounge is actually pretty inactive currently, so I don’t think this is correct to say anymore. Many regulars (myself included) have even supported the removal of lounge. It only remains today because of legacy reasons. I also would not justify general unprofessionalism with the argument that lounge exists because in theory that isn’t even its intended purpose. You are also basically saying that we have no reason to flag anything because lounge may be the best place for it. Doesn’t really make much sense - if the category/global rules say X is not allowed and Y post contains X, then expect Y to be flagged. This is likely a matter of needing to understand that devforum isn’t the only platform that exists, and that if you want to make jokes or whatever, use a different platform for that.

2 Likes

There is no other place on Roblox where you can openly chat without a filter with other devs, and the only place is filled with a bunch of people that say everything people do has to be professional. That’s not my personality.

with friends, i often talk like this and post memes a lot, so most times i really dont switch over and then get flagged for not using grammar, this isn’t a cafe game, the people who do that can probably just chill and touch some grass

Just proving my point there. As I said, I dont feel like or forget to switch to “i have been flagged way too many times for not being professional” me, from my grammar on Discord or iMessage. When I do forget, I get flagged most of the time.

None of this means I go out of my way to make a troll post in #development-discussion. which regulars often complain about and want the category deleted altogether, and i have said in the past i find it quite funny, as much as i get screamed at about it. i dont really care when a regular screams at me for saying i find the trolling funny, or i dont use correct grammar or i’m not 101% professional. And, the reason why #lounge is so dead is because it’s the same people (<1500 i think?). So, all of them got bored of it over 2 years, and now they want to get rid of it before more people come to it, probably reviving it as well.

This is getting off topic, anyways. This is a feature request.

4 Likes

So can somebody explain how I might get my fully structured argument about snapping parts on to the Features Requests: Studio Features category :man_facepalming: .

2 Likes

Answer: You don’t. Roblox said no.

…That’s a really good studio idea though. Being able to align parts to the normal/surface you’re hovering over would be a very nice quality of life update.

There might be a studio plugin that achieves this? It in theory wouldn’t be hard to implement, and it could probably be even more than just cylinders/spheres - If you get the surface normal of any mesh you could drag it onto any face.

3 Likes

There is currently no way to do this other then using something like archimedes or f3x to line it up manually. Thanks for the feedback! I would ask a regular to pass this on to a category but I’m not even allowed to do that according to Global Rule 13 of the dev form. Well life isn’t fair I guess.

1 Like

To be honest this issue is starting to look a little like the twitter verification problem but not quite as corrupt. Roblox has a lot more to gain by keeping the majority of it’s community silenced. They don’t have to hire as many mods and they don’t have to listen to as many people. They are technically profiting off members and have indirectly put us against each other. I’m sorry for the few regulars who want to continue being special but this needs to change soon, and not Roblox’s definition of “soon”. I’ve had a few Ideas on how this could work for Roblox by still making it difficult to get regular but not impossible, and it would filter out most people who aren’t professional enough.

The rules today for getting Regular are this:
(1) use to the forum appropriately according to our community rules and guidelines, (2) have made a few posts on the forum, (3) visited the forum for several weeks and ~~(4) you need to pass through post approval several times successfully.

Here are my changes
(1) use to the forum appropriately according to our community rules and guidelines
(2) have made a few posts on the forum
(3) visited the forum for several weeks
(4) Have your Roblox account Id verified. --We already have this for voice chat and I really see no reason why we cant have it for this as well, It would greatly reduce the number of people getting promoted and that makes Roblox happy.
(4) You have had several of your posts approved by regulars. --Instead of having a team of payed people approve posts for things, we can just have the regulars themselves do it. If your post catches the eye of a regular they can show their approval and what category they believe it fits. When enough Regulars have approved the post, the category with the most votes is what it is categorized as.

Now there are some flaws with this system. These include, “Would regulars care to approve posts?”, “How would regulars see posts made by members?”, “what prevents regulars from stealing the idea for themselves?”, and “What happens if a post doesn’t see enough regulars?”. Well for the first one, I think there are some good people out there who want Roblox to be a better place so, if they see a post that aligns with that vision, they would do it. For the second problem I am not as sure, there could be a category for categorization similar to how the bulletin board worked in the past, there could also be something similar to sponsored games on the Roblox games page. Like if a regular were scrolling down a category it would show a post made by a member, the member would select what category they wanted the post in and it would show up while a regular was browsing on that category. For this issue, maybe a rule can be set in place for copying posts made by members, If they are able to manage this “13.2 You may not make any other type of topic for other people.” They should be able to take down posts made by regulars that are copy pasted. For the last issue, once a post made by a member gets old enough, maybe a week or less, they are able contact something like the old “Post Approval”, because most posts will be filtered out the team can be far smaller.

If you have any suggestions with this I would love to change it to make it better. Thank you for reading.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure regular promotions are based on the quality of bug reports you post. So posting on other categories don’t work.

Why would there still be a need for different ranks once all members can report bugs and post feature requests?

This seems to be what Roblox is moving toward.

Regulars still get more likes per day (i hit that limit fast sometimes), and access to certain categories that members cant.