All my LinkedSources are gone

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

After publishing the game and re-loading it in studio, all my LinkedSources became blank.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

This just happened today. I do not know how to reproduce this bug, but I was connected to a very slow network (~20 kbps) if it helps.

• Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Is it level-specific? Is it game specific? Please post a link to the place that exhibits the issue.

It was for this place: https://www.roblox.com/games/862942316/pb

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

This happened today, Aug .19 at around 2 AM PST.

I also cannot revert my LinkedSources to their previous versions (the options were grayed out), and rolling back to a previously published version did not help.

If there is any way an admin can roll back my game to a version that still had the LinkedSources intact, I would really appreciate it. I lost several days, possibly weeks of work due to this.

After a day of painstaking work, I have rewritten most of my modules. I do not need a reversion anymore.

6 Likes

I’ve had a member of the ROBLOX Forums approach me asking me about what to do about their linked-source scripts being wiped. At first I thought it was some random isolated issue but seeing this thread would suggest it’s a more widespread issue.

I’ll edit this post with further details when I can from the person involved, he’s currently offline.

edit (19/08/2017 @ 6:28 PM EST):

His username is “Lametta”

The place this happened is:

Happened about two-ish days ago apparently.

3 Likes

Lesson: Don’t use ancient classes from 2009.

Solution: I don’t know if this is permanent. Try tomorrow. I’d recommend you email info@ too.

This happened to me before too. It was the first time I started using LinkedSource. Haven’t used it since. Not worth the risk currently. I couldn’t replicate it though.

LinkedSource is used in the classic brickbattle weapons from 2006, which are still commonly used.

Are we talking about the same thing? I’m talking about LinkedSources that you create and publish from studio, which came out roughly three years ago.

It’s generally a bad idea to use them. They aren’t from 2009, but I was referring to the fact that ModuleScripts (namely private modules) do the same job and have better support.

Not if you’re using the same code in, like, 11 different places. Again, I’m not quite sure we’re talking about the same thing since a lot of people use LinkedSources.

Yes. Private Modules allow you to use the same code in 11 different places, except they are actually more useful in a number of ways.

Yes, you can require a module multiple times, but can you have multiple instances of the module have the same source with private modules?

(also, I’m afraid we’re getting a bit off-topic here)

Private modules also aren’t so private and can be required by anyone. LinkedSource can be edited seamlessly in Studio, whereas modules required from the site have to be inserted and then published back. LinkedSource is a modern feature and there is no problem with using it.

1 Like

This isn’t good. We’re turning off some things we think might be the cause, but we don’t have a solid repro yet.

• Are these places being edited in Team Create or standard Edit mode?
  • Have these places ever been saved as a local file?
  • Did you make any changes to these scripts before this happened?
  • Can you send the log files from the session you noticed this issue, and the previous ones?
  • Does this happen to you in a place with only one linked script, or does there have to be a lot of them?
  • How long were the script(s) in question?
1 Like

Out of personal experience I can confirm that this happens in a non team create place with lots of linkedsources. The scripts I lost were ones that I didn’t touch for months, and the scripts lost varied from one line of code to hundreds of lines of code (usually the one liners)

So, from what I can determine so far, you should be able to get back (most) lost code by changing the source to Embedded again.

It depends. From my experience, if the script was converted into a linked source late in its development, progress can still be salvaged by setting its source to [Embedded]. Otherwise, it’s impossible to recover any useful progress.

Does disconnecting while the place is being published reproduce this? I had a weak, shaky connection while this happened.

Are these places being edited in Team Create or standard Edit mode?

Edit mode. Though it is possible that I may have accidentally clicked TeamCreate.

Have these places ever been saved as a local file?

Once, maybe a month ago.

Did you make any changes to these scripts before this happened?

No.

Can you send the log files from the session you noticed this issue, and the previous ones?

When I noticed the scripts were gone:

https://pastebin.com/zJ4Qh7k3

And another for when I last uploaded the place:

https://pastebin.com/hnjqY58r

Does this happen to you in a place with only one linked script, or does there have to be a lot of them?

I have a lot of linked scripts (15+), and all of them were blanked.

How long were the script(s) in question?

Not too long. They were 100-200 lines long.

1 Like

Ok, we have a slightly better understanding of what’s going on now. Still trying to repro, but if there is a place that switching to Embedded does not get back much of the lost work, please message me and we should be able to restore from the previous version of the scripts (before they were empty).

1 Like

Next round of questions for you (All of them are in regards to what you were doing before this issue occurred):

• Have you changed the name of any of your LinkedScripts?
  • Did you publish the LinkedScript via the Game Explorer?
  • Did you revert a script in the GameExplorer?
  • Was the game published to a new or different place slot?
  • Did you recently create a new LinkedScript?
  • Did you revert the place to a previous version?
  • Did you add/modify any other assets in the game?
  • Do you usually have multiple Studio sessions open?
1 Like

Have you changed the name of any of your LinkedScripts?

When the place was published? No.

Did you publish the LinkedScript via the Game Explorer?

No.

Did you revert a script in the GameExplorer?

No.

Was the game published to a new or different place slot?

No.

Did you recently create a new LinkedScript?

No.

Did you revert the place to a previous version?

No.

Did you add/modify any other assets in the game?

No. I only updated a map.

Do you usually have multiple Studio sessions open?

Yes. In addition to the place where this issue occurred, I had another session open for a different place. That other place did not have any linked scripts.

1 Like

I just got hit with this bug too. This is the 2nd time I’ve ran into it.
Is there any way to rollback the LinkedSources? I’m about to just drop them entirely because this is really freaking scary.

I wish I could provide a reproducible case, but I don’t have one. It happens rarely and randomly.

I feel like the best way to work around this is to add a safeguard to the server publishing mechanism, so that if it tries to publish a change where all of the LinkedSources are suddenly blanked out, then it’s PROBABLY NOT the users intention.

Also, make sure the Embedded source is kept archived and up to date just in case.

1 Like

Yikes. Looks like it’s time to update my backups again.

1 Like