Allow creators to have Private Servers for free

I want to have a VIP server at my own place for free. It seems reasonable that creators should be able to have such access to their own games. Feel free to pitch reasons for/against this. I’m curious.

214 Likes

Yeah, I agree with this.

Very helpful for testing as well!

21 Likes

That as well as buy products for free. This goes on a list of things devs should get for free in their own games.

39 Likes

Wait, what? So it wants you to pay yourself to have your own VIP server? Sure, only 30% loss, but legit WTF.

13 Likes

Support.

9 Likes

It sounds great, but will probably backfire as a loophole for exploiters. Like the dev console.

8 Likes

Isn’t that what this is for?

4 Likes

Indeed! Mock purchases for dev products is coming. That’s actually what got me thinking of having this feature for VIP servers too.

5 Likes

Is the dev console being used by exploiters to run scripts??

2 Likes

35 Likes

Yeah. I have popular games with constant players and find it very helpful to use a VIP server to test it alone.

2 Likes

He’s probably referring to the way they found the server IP address and were able to DDoS game servers.

2 Likes

As a Roblox developer, it is currently hard (without wasting Robux) for a developer to set up a VIP server.

For example, if VIP servers are enabled on your own game for R$200, the owner of that game would have to pay that amount to enable it and then due to the taxes, only receive R$140 (Builders club) or R$60 (Non builders club) back from their purchase.

This is already a feature of gamepasses, where the developer who made the gamepass owns it upon creation and can therefor use it’s perks in-game.

It makes sense for a developer or a development team to have a private server that they can use for testing outside of studio, without wasting Robux.

28 Likes

Three years later it doesn’t seem this has been implemented yet, I’ve taken a look at my own games and I’m still forced to pay robux to open up VIP servers, wanted to re-bump this feature as it would be very helpful and should absolutely be implemented.

28 Likes

for closure :woman_cartwheeling:

9 Likes

FWIW this feature request is for free VIP servers for developers of the game, but not necessarily everyone who plays the game.

15 Likes

Oops, you right. I guess we are on the right track though :wink:

17 Likes

Bumping this thread as VIP Private servers seem to be in the spotlight lately, this would be really helpful for community events, testing and should absolutely be introduced.

7 Likes

cough private servers now

I also support this. Private servers are an awesome place to test new updates before shutting down servers

5 Likes

Support! Going to bump this as one of my games uses testing purposes/sessions and the ability to have “Private Servers” for free for owners it kind of nice in my opinion but ever since the addition of free servers, I guess some might want users to still buy Private Servers and free for themselves.

Anywho, having the ability for Private Servers to be free for creators is something great for a lot of developers as they don’t have to worry about a test place or pay R$ for something they might use 3-4 times a month. Other developers, like me, need Private Servers to test out features with a group of testers before an update and have to use a public server instead of a private one which sucks.

^ Private Servers or “VIP” servers are a thing but for some developers, they want users to still buy it so they could earn revenue, but that’s just my thought. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes