Am I allowed to mention the word "Discord"?

If you’d really like to follow the rules, I would only show the invite link to people whose accounts are ‘over 13’. To determine this, I would use this method, pass in a random assortment of strings/digits, and evaluate from the result whether safechat is enabled for their account (and thus determine if they’re in the walled garden of whitelisted chat).

1 Like

I’m not showing the Invite Link in-game, just the word “Discord”.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. I believe my aforementioned option would still work in your case - even without the invite link.

1 Like

What would you be using it for?

Bad advice.

You aren’t allowed to mention Discord or show invite links in games at all, period, irrespective of the user’s age. You will receive moderation action for direct or indirect references of Discord in games.

5 Likes

I don’t fully agree that is true - although I’m open to the possibility that I’m wrong. I’ve frequented a number of games (such as this one) that openly share their Discord invite. Moreover, I haven’t seen any cases of Rōblox taking moderative action on a game that takes my aforementioned approach. If they are able to determine if your chat system filters words correctly, they may be able to access and analyse your source code. If they happen to see a system spanning multiple ModuleScripts that ensures only older players see the Discord reference, I reckon they wouldn’t moderate as likely.

You don’t have to agree, but you are objectively wrong. Discord isn’t allowed in games. Period. Doesn’t matter if you are checking age through the filter system which is a seriously unreliable and somewhat invasive method to begin with.

Other games showing Discord links doesn’t mean that it’s allowed, they are doing so against the rules and are eligible for moderation action if reported. Roblox does not police games, which is why games featuring Discord references or links in-game may remain unmoderated for a prolonged period of time. They require motive to investigate a game’s circumstances.

2 Likes

I know someone whose game was moderated because it had a discord invite url inside a comment in a script. So just stick to social links, nothing else.

You can put the social link there, but cannot say it because discord can only be used by people over the age of 13. As long as you don’t mention it in the game description, you’re good.

Again, I’m not placing a Discord invite link in the game I’m just mentioning the word “Discord”. The invite link is in the social tab.

That is fine. Unless you can reword it to “communication server”.

PolicyService may be of use here, specifically GetPolicyInfoForPlayerAsync and the returned “AllowedExternalLinkReferences”.

1 Like

Please stop offering bad advice on this thread.

Discord references are not allowed in games. PERIOD.

PolicyService and TextService are not workarounds and you will still be moderated if direct or indirect references to Discord are present in your game. This has been cleared up above, please try to read other posts. The only place Discord is allowed on is via Social Links on the game details page.

6 Likes

After consideration, I concur with your point mainly because it’s significantly less prone to moderation action. Congrats on having your post marked as the thread’s solution though.

is it allowed to say “DC”? (players know what is meant)

Doesn’t seem to be true.

If you check PolicyService and it’s allowed, there is no issue showing these external links. Don’t show Discord links, etc., if PolicyService returns that Discord isn’t allowed. PolicyService returns a list of allowed references in this case, and if Discord is allowed then you can talk about it, show links, etc… The description in the docs themselves clearly shows Discord as an example, as the image above shows. As always, I might be wrong, however I think that this is the best solution.

Including this:
Officially in Roblox’s guidelines, it’s now allowed.

1 Like

FWIW: you’re replying to a post that was made in 2020. Rules are not set in stone and subject to change over time. This answer was accurate at the time of its posting, and since then Roblox has been more lenient in how they moderate Discord for developers - particularly, you’ll notice the presence of Discord in allowed external links.

As of today, PolicyService does support Discord and as long as you have it implemented, you can show Discord links. You should always consult authoritative sources of policy first before a DevForum reply when it comes to moderation, especially one that’s been made years ago.

“PolicyService is not a workaround” is in reference to using other information to guess out whether or not players would be allowed to see Discord in-experience. Discord was blanket banned around this time and many replies were suggesting ways to work around the blanket ban.

1 Like

Does this mean you are allowed to have an invite link to a discord server on a dev forum post now? or is there still a rule on that? i’m not sure myself and I haven’t been able to find a solid answer

EDIT: was meant to reply to @Eddippla

As long as it’s not in Bulletin Board which can be shared and viewed by under 13 users which breaks the allowed links policy.

1 Like