An update on Live Ops

Incomplete idea in the linked post, so I’ll put it here:

I predicted that live ops could have integration with the ugc catalog, with players making hats or shirts or pants as rewards, similar to the events of which we used to have. So, in conclusion, could this revamp give us an event-like integration of ugc items the creator has made with live ops featured games?

Been with the site over a decade; rarely notice live ops. Singular button leads you there, afaik it never changes image so there’s nothing ‘new’ on the page. Similar to the blog posts, used to love seeing a new one was posted, but now there’s no way of telling there’s an update without already reading the blog. This could’ve worked with the prior landing page.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ll miss this anyways. I only played games featured on it once or twice in the beginning of the Live Ops program and never saw the appeal to it. I checked later on in the program without playing the games, and there were at highest 300 players.

These Live Ops have never appealed to me at all to be honest, and feel like a major downgrade to the much popular events that were on the platform beforehand.

1 Like

Didn’t expect this to come but it makes sense why its on hold. In my take in Live Ops it never got any attention on the website considering it was just on the events page and most users just didn’t care what new games were on it. What Live Ops needs is for the developers to get access to UGC so developers can promote to there game alot easier and it will bring in more players to there game.

As a player, I never paid attention to Live Ops. I’d often forget it was even there, as it’s under all the essential pathways, and the even bigger Upgrade Now button, which further shoves the Event section under. I recently asked a lot of members in a group I’m in, as well as my own, and most said that they don’t even look down that far and were unaware that Live Ops was a thing, especially since many of the games on there were front page already.

1 Like

Yeah, i really wouldn’t want players to earn hats just by visiting a game for a minute tbh. But the UGC program will most likely have strict guidelines that’ll probably make stuff like that rule-breaking.

Having players earn over 20 UGC hats from badge walker games or anything else like that is definitely an issue Roblox thinks about.

So, it’s very likely they’ll have a strong restriction in place when the program has a beta launch. Since the whole catalog would be worthless if it didnt.

5 Likes

Really hope that we can get free prizes like events with live ops! It will make players actually check out live ops and probably try out the games themselves.

3 Likes

Yea, it is the same for me! :wink:

I believe featuring games on the front page is a much better way to bring players as of right now.
I think the problem with the event page is that it isn’t getting enough visits. When my game was featured in the events, I told some people that my game was featured there and they didn’t even know what it was…

1 Like

What if events made a return but were controlled by the community in terms of development. It could tie in with the UGC hats or something cool like that. Like if they submitted a request to host an event or something like that and it gets approved or denied.

3 Likes

In all honesty, I would prefer the whole thing didn’t come back. The entire thing wasn’t really good at all and they don’t have an incentive, the players also won’t be scrolling down to click it every Thursday and would just ignore it since it’s barely even visible, but if it’s going to return in a big way then I hope it’s done in a better fashion. Because a lot of the players really want events and can almost 100% agree that sure, events are kind of old but people still like it and it gave games more attention rather than live ops.

6 Likes

Hopefully when Live Ops returns, game creators could be allowed to upload their own UGC accessories (verified by Roblox) that players could earn within their games, as with events, players could receive free hats from playing games. In the LiveOps application, the game creator could place their UGC accessory within their application. On top of allowing LiveOps become a notable replacement for events, this could also help to branch out the UGC program in a responsible manner.

5 Likes

I think what y’all can do to improve Live Ops is allow the game creators to attach their own created items such as hats, clothes, etc. to a badge and if a user gets that badge, they can get that item.

3 Likes

Honestly, id say bring back events, yeah i guess they´re outdated, but the community misses it so much then i guess we should bring it back, maybe put UGC items alongside Roblox items, if my opinion makes any sense.

2 Likes

Honestly i cant find any way to fix or why should live ops exist, in first place the concept is an 10/10 giving newbie developers a way to boost their games, but the execution -1/10 the “prizes” that the game gives are worthless because players dont want a badge that just stay in their inventory they want something that they can show to everyone at any time like hats (this could be solved by letting devepolers put ugc prizes in their game) or in some esenarios just playing an normal part of the game like in Koala cafe.

From all of this the only answer i can find is to bring back events and seasonal events
P.S: Sorry if i have poor grammar im not english native

2 Likes

It would be nice to know when the Live ops will return. It would be nice has MYO Frozen yogurt reached its most played during the 2 weeks we had. The rating was thru the roof. Making 700k+ in just that 2 week along with boosted player amount from everyday min of 15 players to filling up a max server of 200 players. I would honestly do it again.

That’s quite impressive although the norm seems to be that there didn’t come as much of a reward from the LiveOp page as intended, thus the need of putting the program on hold for reevaluation. To answer your question I saw a tweet whereas someone mentioned LiveOps is scheduled to return late spring this year, so that may be when we will be seeing it.

1 Like

M̶y̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶u̶m̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶p̶o̶o̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶T̶e̶n̶c̶e̶n̶t̶. It’s probably very difficult to implement properly considering the level of cooperation required. The problems I saw during this were:

1. Not advising developers properly.
  2. Ineffective Live Ops advertising.
  3. Calling it Live Ops. The “sophisticated” word is to just call them ‘events.’

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a developer introduce an event only booster pass. Like they have in Tencent games such as League of Legends. Which let people collect expiring event currency and have impossible to reach super-rewards or whatever… Then they do an event a week after the last one ends and it’s got 80% the same rewards.

Now even if developers did that you would find on this platform they’d get about one week exposure rather than a month and they’d probably get 200 concurrent players. Which is cool. It definitely pays the bills. Unless your team is like, bigger than 2 people. Would much rather prefer the model be that we can just make one big well made event and have large effective exposure rather than the current system which actually advocates just owning 4 simulators which are very similar and giving them copy pasta updates on rotation.

1 Like

Do you have a source for that? At RDC it seemed like liveops were an idea Roblox borrowed from Microsoft.

No. But they recently partnered with Tencent. And all Tencent owned games use it. So I would say the assumption is reasonable. Plus the introduction of Live Ops and partnering with Tencent are only a month apart.

No, LiveOps was a filler that took the place of official Roblox monthly/seasonal events. It had nothing to do with Tencent. This is a stretch and a half if I’ve ever seen one.

The reason why they got rid of monthly/seasonal events is because it was an unholdable track because it took way too much management time from DevRel and they didn’t have the funds to pay developers properly for the time they sunk in. That’s the whole gist of the story. I’m assuming LiveOps had the same issue of just taking too much time for too little benefit.

5 Likes