An update on the Roblox Developer Wiki and Documentation

Recently, someone mentioned in the forums, “the Roblox Wiki seems really inactive,” which served as a reminder that as we start the New Year, there is no time like the present to provide the community with an update about the wiki, and our documentation.

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Byrne Reese, aka MisterNeutron. I started in November as the Head of Information Experience here at Roblox. Basically, my job is to help improve the developer experience surrounding all of our learning materials. That not only includes our wiki, tutorial content, and API reference manual, but also all of the educational programming that is emerging in camps, after-school programs, and schools around the world. It really is an exciting time, and I couldn’t be happier to join the team.

Earlier this year we turned off community contributions to the wiki to better safeguard our community. That in part has something to do with the perceived lack of activity. Another reason why the wiki seems less active is that the Information Experience team is working on a few longer-term projects that will have a more profound impact on how developers explore the possibilities on the Roblox platform through our documentation, and stay up to date with changes and enhancements made to the platform. Here are just a few of the changes made recently to help those newer to the platform get started and begin making contributions to the community.

New Getting Started Guide

We recently published a new Getting Started Guide which guides first-time developers through the process of creating their first game. This was a major improvement over our previous first-time user experience, by working to hold people’s hand a little bit, rather than just throwing them into the deep end of the pool.

In the future, we hope to expand upon this guide to create a suite of guides to introduce first-time developers to more aspects of the Roblox platform and the fundamentals of game design.

New “Learn Roblox” Landing Page

Just before the holidays, we published a new landing page for the “All Tutorials” page, which we renamed “Learn Roblox.” (Don’t worry, you can still use the old page if you prefer it.) In this change, we introduced a new organization to our tutorials to help developers more quickly find the guides they are looking for and to help newer developers better understand the breadth of the platform’s capabilities at a glance.

Looking Forward to an Exciting 2018

There is so much in store for developers in 2018 that I can’t possibly list everything here, but I can share with you what some of our largest priorities are. First, we want the API documentation on which we all depend to be considered best-in-class. To that end, we have several projects internally and with the community to dramatically improve this vital resource. Second, the wiki itself is long overdue for some upgrades and updates. In the first half of 2018 expect to see more changes like the above, and much more to improve the design, and search-ability of our documentation. Finally, we hope to revitalize one of the most important resources the community has given us: the Roblox Cookbook. We are in the process now of reviewing all of the articles listed there, updating older articles, and removing now obsolete ones. The infrastructure improvements that are coming in support of our plans will also create new opportunities for Roblox Studio to better support developers as well.

I am personally super excited for what is coming in this New Year. It is an honor to be considered a member of this great community!

Byrne Reese
Mister Neutron
Head of Information Experience, Roblox

Updated to fix a few typos, thank you konlon15!

56 Likes

Awesome! I have a couple roommates trying to get into Roblox development, and I’ve directed them to use the Wiki page. I’m sure the updated content is going to be really useful for them.

14 Likes

Good to hear, super excited! Will you ever consider bringing back community wiki writers? I can say honestly the most useful pages for me when learning about vectors and matrices were EgoMoose’s tutorials; and with more writers comes more content which is always a plus :ok_hand:t2:

Either way these changes will be much appreciated!

10 Likes

Hey welcome to the community :slight_smile: I know I’m personally excited to see Roblox finally getting the documentation it deserves, and to help write tutorials to give back the knowledge I’ve picked up over the years. Godspeed to the team working on this!

6 Likes

Hi there and welcome to the ROBLOX Community :slight_smile: Those new Wiki pages look awesome, great work on that.

Question

• As developers we use the Wiki 24/7, if we find an error with the documenation can we tag you or someone else to take care of the outdated documenation ? (Who is in your team :slight_smile: )
6 Likes

There is nothing on the old page except a redirection to the new page :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

psst — something forgot to be updated

8 Likes

Yeah, I brought this up back in September.

1 Like

Hey and welcome :slight_smile: Nice stuff - it really helps when the design of pages is updated to make it easier for users to process the information they’re given.

One small issue… I can’t escape that new tutorials page (using Google Chrome Version 63.0.3239.108 (64-bit)).

It’s always nice to see that we are being listened to :slight_smile:

The wiki has great resources like the Input Icons, but it could do with a lot more. It’d be awesome to make developers aware of:

1 Like

Can’t wait! I’m tired of clicking Google results, just to be redirected to a new page.

I’m looking forward to possibly maybe being a part of this :smiley:

5 Likes

Wow, this is insane! The new stuff here is so much more refined and descriptive. I remember having to help a lot of my friends out because the tutorials were written in a manner that seemed partially tailored to those who already had some magnitude of experience with studio.

I wanted to make my own set of video tutorials but one of the problems I had was that I’d have to reiterate most of the stuff that the old tutorials stated. Now, I’ll be able to direct people to the current tutorials and have a much greater level of confidence that they have a general understanding of the topic.

This is a very nice update. Definite thumbs up.

Going to request one small thing done to the wiki:

Other than that, great to see changes are moving forward.

1 Like

I would actually like it if the wiki has some better intergrated support in studio honestly. I like the object browser for example but it always lacks that usage snippet I use for reference or just having Class expandable branches as if it like workspace but for Classes and their Functions, properties, and etc. I know its not really part of the wiki but if roblox wants to actually make things easier for developers there needs to something that ties them in and is more visible. Idk how many people actually use the object browser, I found it months after using ribbon but it as much as it can be a hassle to use (and for some reason missing “Player”) it does serve me well.

I can’t help but notice some in-accurate information here. It should be changed to reflect that this only applies to users under 13. Experimental games will still show to users above 13

It’s a shame the Wiki removed community wiki editors because that’s what pretty much kept it alive, more so specifically CloneTrooper1019 was the wiki I quickly found in the past few months that some pages on the Wiki are complete stubs or missing/outdated information.

Hopefully with these new changes the Wiki may be better in the long run but I do certainly hope the wiki comes ‘back to life’

3 Likes

I actually use the wiki a lot, so I can’t wait to see the new tutorials. :smiley:

Glad to see that you guys are working on reviving the Wiki as it is quite vital to the success of Roblox, especially since the forum was removed making it harder for new developers to find information!

To help keep the Wiki active with new articles and tutorials, it would be quite nice if writers and editors were brought back. I understand that they were removed before as a safeguard, but this has had a much bigger and negative effect on the Wiki. An alternative to doing this may instead be to allow users to submit new articles and article edits which are reviewed by staff members before being published.

5 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out. I believe the issue was resolved. Root cause I think was a Ghost in the Machine. MediaWiki is finicky sometimes. :slight_smile:

4 Likes