[Anim. Editor] Re-support Importing By ID

With the latest Animation Editor update, you can no longer import animations uploaded by Roblox… You can only upload animations that you own by finding them in a list (you can filter by ID but cannot upload by ID).

This is problematic for me because I often import Roblox animations to modify them, add keyframe markers, etc. Now, this is entirely impossible without a previously saved KeyframeSequence in a rig… but who keeps those around?

I would like to see the option to import animations uploaded by Roblox re-added into the Animation Editor Import screen.

new ... -> Import -> From Roblox menu which lacks import by id option

edit: realized I can import the KeyframeSequence by using InsertService:LoadAsset on the animation id. My point still stands, though.

32 Likes

Hey @Fm_Trick,

Just to be clear, the functionality you are requesting is to be able to paste an animation id into the text box and hit import/submit to directly import it? Which is what the old one had.

1 Like

Yes exactly - a direct method to import by ID, without having to find said ID in a list.

1 Like

Currently there is a bug with Filter ID, but the expected behavior is that pasting/typing the id of the desired animation into the text box would make only the matching animation thumbnail appear in the window you show above. From which you could select it and hit submit (basically only adding an extra single click to your workflow from the previous iteration of the window). Would that satisfy your needs?

No, the issue is that I cannot import Roblox-uploaded animations anymore.

Filter ID works great for animations that I uploaded, but not for Roblox-uploaded.

Here’s an example:

this Roblox animation has an AnimationId of 2510198475 (id obtained through using InsertService:LoadAsset on that catalog id, or other methods). I want to paste that AnimationId into the Import menu, but I cannot, since I don’t own it.

Here’s what happens if I try to do what you’re proposing:

img

The solution could be to add another text box to import an animation by ID or add a “Roblox” option to the ownership dropdown on the import menu, from which we could then see all Roblox animations that are available through on-sale animation packs.

Currently, I have to use InsertService:LoadAsset(ROBLOX_ANIMATION_ID) to insert a model with the KeyframeSequence of that animation, then move that KeyframeSequence to a model named AnimSaves inside of a r15 rig, then open the animation editor and load it in through the Load menu. While it’s possible, it’s definitely a headache to make happen.

5 Likes

Okay, I understand now. I’ll see how we can go about adding this back in

6 Likes

@jonathanTheForgotten Any update on this? I need this functionality for my game’s NPCs and currently I am unable to edit Roblox’s default animations by importing them unless I use insert service and . It’s a hassle :frowning:

Unfortunately, this is likely something that won’t be rolled out for the next few weeks. I am currently in the process of getting design approval for having a import directly by ID text box (as opposed or in addition to filter). This is a necessary first step in getting the requested functionality to work. Apologies for the inconvenience.

5 Likes