Animated Particles with the Particle Flipbooks Beta

How do you publish this into your game?

It is only in beta. We have no actual date of when it will be released. This is a feature I see that’ll grow to make Roblox better though

1 Like

Real-time simulation particle driven baked flipbook particle ~ Meticulously crafted to be replicated in Roblox as in Unreal Engine 5.

Velocity Map - Detailing the physics on each frame

6 Likes

I’ve noticed that the flipbook feature only works in studio as it is in beta, however, how comes some games may be able to use it? E.g. https://gyazo.com/04c6095cbc72ad32a1889c100263e8b1

1 Like

That is amazing! Quality is awesome.

They’re most likely using an old solution to this problem shiji, which is changing the texture of a BillboardGui either manually or using a module script (like this one SpriteClip Sprite Sheet Animation Module)

And you couldn’t have given this support with textures?

2 Likes

How could I use this in game? Like, from starting it from the website/app

This is a studio beta, therefore it won’t work in live games yet.

5 Likes

I believe flipbooks do lag my workshop when I move a part in the studio. When I select a part or move a part, it does lag a lot. Drops my FPS to 10 FPS with a good PC. i7-10700 CPU should be enough to handle.

I definitely think it would be good to somewhere down the line to trial custom sizes, as like you said most online are not 1024x1024 and 2x2, 4x4, 8x8. It means you have to manually downsample or upsample to fit the tiles which isnt the best at times, especially if its too large for 4x4 but too small for 8x8 you end up left with a fair amount of wasted space. just a simple u/v tile slider for the sheet would be handy, that way it opens up a lot more possibilities when it comes to vfx.

Image from Gyazo
The clipping is quite bad right now, hope that gets fixed

7 Likes

This is a awesome feature, although the only issue I have is that it only works inside studio, not the main game. Is there any possible way to fix this?

2 Likes

It’s a beta, so you have to wait until it is released to use it in published games.

3 Likes

Ah, makes sense. Any idea when it’s releasing to the public?

2 Likes

One of the coolest updates that (alongside Highlights and the new materials) I am waiting to go live. This saves a lot of headache and I can already imagine a thousand uses for this. I am so glad that particles are getting a major update like this.

A bit off topic but will we get other updates to particles as well? I’m sure I’m not the first person that’s asked to have speed or acceleration to be changeable with lifetime so I could emulate dust particles floating in the air without needing real time updates to the particles so they don’t straight up sink to the ground. I’m assuming that’s a huge thing to tackle though, so I’m not surprised it’s taken this long without it being added alongside particles with physics.

we don’t have any note of that yet.

1 Like

I made a teeny tiny feature request here - sorry if it’s already been addressed!

6 Likes

Is this actually live in-game?

1 Like

Hopefully this goes live soon, shame having to use weird workarounds when the roblox implementation seems fine as it is right now.

3 Likes

I really hope we get some news on this soon, animated particles is such an underrated feature and completely upgrades the quality of visual effects in every game on the platform

2 Likes