Animation Editor has moved out of Beta again

Hey Devs!

The Beta Animation Editor has moved out and is now the default editor within studio. The issue where rigs with nested parts were not working in the new editor should be resolved. Please let me know if you encounter any other issues!

Happy animating!

104 Likes

Yay! Finally won’t crash anymore! Also will this automatically be updated or will we have to update the plugin our selfs?

12 Likes

Great! I’m glad to see the new animator! Hopefully we’ll see more animators in the future!

EDIT: Wheres the rig importer? I don’t see it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 5.03.53 PM

EDIT 2: Never mind, it’s now called “Build Rig”.

EDIT 3: Not going to lie, I dislike this already.

Dosent give the same feeling. Gotta be a way to get the old one? :thinking: Not saying your guy’s work is bad, just that i don’t like the style!

22 Likes

Cool! Can’t wait until we have mesh deformation

8 Likes

Sweet! Excited for the future of animating. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Nice! I was waiting this, now I can make more with this feature without in Beta release.

3 Likes

Automatic as long as you’re opening up the studio app fresh, it should prompt download.

3 Likes

What was in the beta that wasn’t in the default editor?

2 Likes

A list of improvements can be found here: Keyframes Animate Everything Around Me

6 Likes

I personally find it harder to use than the last version.

Whenever you try moving the limbs around on a dummy, they’re more stale and it’s harder to make poses for thumbnails. IK doesnt help either.

It’s sorta hard to describe my issue in further detail without video…

Basically, it’s exactly like trying to build something without using any building plugins for example.

I dont know if there’s a way to give my pose dummies that ragdollness flexibility again like in the last version, but if there is. I’d appreciate it if someone told me how to do so.

10 Likes

I’ve been using it for something between 20-30 hours since the Beta release. The new one is pretty good. Definitely took some getting used to but it’s better overall. I forgot to record any problems I found so I’ll post them whenever they come up again, but it was something along the lines of weird keyframe overlap/clipping bugs and max anim length not being accurate for anims <1s.

1 Like

Please, give us an option to toggle back to the old one, I personally find this difficult to use.

Indeed the interfaces and functions are more advanced, I saw multiple improvements and bug fixes. However I still prefer the previous which was less complicated. How do I even snap grid in this new animation editor? I can only rotate objects in 45 degrees. Moreover, in the previous editor, we can simply toggle local and world coordinate by pressing T. I also dislike where you can no longer copy keyframes between 2 different animations.

Please correct me if I misunderstand anything.

16 Likes

I’m really happy you fixed the nested parts that were not working before.
Thanks

Amazing! Animation Editor is very useful for everyone (including me) by animating actions, movements, etc. :movie_camera:

I’m really appreciated that Animation Editor has been moved out of Beta, since I’ve checked with the beta version too. Thank you for the update! :happy3:

1 Like

I’d like to say that I am really in love with the new animation editor, and it’s so much easier to create fluid animations. A lot of things are in great places and it’s clear a lot of work and thought has gone into this - bravo :slight_smile:

I do have one nit-pick though - it is now impossible to move between local and relative position / rotation without use of a keybind. This also doesn’t work when the model rig is at any angle to the world position, which was not previously the case. Can we expect a resolution for this?

3 Likes

Can someone confirm this? After I export an animation to an existing animation (overlay it) and import it again, it will import the previous version instead of the re-exported animation, but when I try to play it in game, it shows the newest version. I have to relaunch Studio to fix that.

Plus, it seems that the animation FPS is not publishing? Whenever I publish an animation to 60 fps and I import it again, it shows that keys are not aligning, it it an expected behavior?

2 Likes

Yea, I personally would love an opinion to toggle on and off this new one, due to the massive amount of opinions on each side!

1 Like

Your snapping options have merged their workflow with studio, so you can just edit them under the MODEL tab and those changes will also take effect in the animation editor. Ctrl + L is the studio toggle for local/world space and is now also the toggle for the animation editor. We can consider adding back a second hotkey.

1 Like

If I’m understanding correctly then this sounds like a bug. I’ll look into it

2 Likes

We force the timeline length to be a min of 1s. Timeline length and animation length are not the same though. The animation length is determined by your last keyframe, you should notice a section of your timeline is slightly grayed out past your last keyframe.

3 Likes