Animation Editor has moved out of Beta again

frameglitch

i was testing out the editor and i noticed that the frames are unreadable when an animation is playing

1 Like

Possibly. If you could PM me the rig you are using there I can investigate it further

Likely that something just wasn’t rounded properly. Should be a quick fix thanks for pointing it out.

This is nice!

I especially like now that I can go to the load tab and not have to stretch the editor to height of the screen just to see all of my animations.

Whenever i try to changed the timeline length, whether it’s with timeline untit seconds or frames, it always goes back to a set number.

For example:
I import an animation into a rig, just a normal R6 rig/
The timeline length automatically goes to 60. (or 1:00)
Whenever i try to change it it just springs back to 60.
What’s weird about this is that i can increase the max frames, but not decrease it.

See gif below for seeing it in action.
I’ve already tried restarting studio and such, nothing works.
https://gyazo.com/898f6c71b395927abced00e4b30a3049

You can’t extend it past the last keyframe, from my understanding.

Will support for more Animation EasingStyles ever be considered? The current set of EasingStyles is quite limited, and other third-party animation plugins already support a much larger set.

1 Like

I am adding to my previous post: I am not able to animate any of my old models because of the new animator not letting me animate if there are parts with the same name. This is very disheartening because I’ve put a lot of time into creating dozens of custom models that are animated in my game and now adding more animations to them will now be impossible without breaking the rig and re-animating them all :frowning:

Will there be any update to the animation editor in the future where it will allow you to animate models with parts that have the same name again? It would be very appreciated :slight_smile: It helps a lot with custom monsters and animal animated models that have several moving parts.

3 Likes

Eurgh. This new animation editor is very confusing for me. Here’s a screenshot how it looks like on my 1336x768 screen:

First of all, notice how it jumps from 0:27 to 1:00 on the right.
Second thing is that the old menu for toggling rotate and move is gone. Also now I can’t quickly change step of those tools. For some people this is better, but not for me. For me this is a total disaster. :sick:
And the next thing is how time magically jumps from 1:50 to 2:20. Here’s a video of this happening:

EDIT: I just noticed that the time is counted in seconds:frames. It’s still very confusing for me.

Controls for snap/step increments, changing from move/rotate, and changing world/local space now match studio controls. For snap/step increments and move/rotate, you can use the buttons on the studio topbar under the MODEL tab.

For world/local space toggle, you can press Ctrl + L.

The default editing FPS is 30. The increments on your timeline are at intervals of 3 frames. So it goes from 0:27 to 1:00 because 30 frames = 1 second. You can switch to pure frame numbers if that’s easier to understand via that gear symbol in the top right corner

1 Like

This is a tough call. I will PM you for further discussion and see if we can reach a resolution

1 Like

I gotta say, this is a really big step up! The old one was super buggy, gave warnings all the time for non-R15 rigs, and made it take way too long to change easing style.

I’m really happy with how it is now, and I look forward to what other sort of revamps you guys have planned.

Still though, that isn’t very good for me, as I oftenly forget to change these settings back to normal and it corrupts my workflow. But that isn’t the biggest problem.
I have just discovered that animations play backwards. I think that it’s just me, since I use the old method of creating keyframes:

And most annoyingly, I can’t see what’s wrong, since now when you select a keyframe, rig doesn’t show the pose stored in that keyframe.

Watching the video, the outcome from your actions is what’s expected. Key data is written wherever the scrubber/playhead currently is. Since you were at frame 0 when you moved the arm, your animation is starting with the arm up, and since you created your key at frame 50 before anything else, it is animating back to the base pose of the model.

If by “pose stored in the keyframe” you mean you want to see the CFrame info for position/rotation, you can view that by clicking the black arrow next to the joint on your track list.

1 Like

Jeez, thanks. I can’t imagine how many hours I would waste trying to figure everything out without your reply.

That’s why I’m here. Naturally when there is a major change to workflows like this there will be some confusion :slight_smile:

Happy animating!

1 Like

I’m interesting in learning how to use this new animation editor, but, the cons for me seem to overweigh everything good. Too many hotkeys, the seconds:frames with no ‘zoom in’ function to better see the frames a bit better, the needs to change your snap to grid settings, the timeline length’s minimalistic approach of at least having at least a second, it all doesn’t work well for me.

Please, I request, to at least make a sub plugin, or a animation editor update list that I can refer to, and revert the update that best works for me, and my animations.

I agree with you, seconds:frames isn’t the best thing, but I found a way around this issue. You need to click on settings button, set your sustom framerate (to make it look like seconds, make it 100 FPS), and switch time units from seconds:frames to frames. You can zoom in/out as well using 2 sliding buttons idk how its called srry.

(There’s also identical button on the left, it does the same thing)

:sick: personally for me this is the biggest problem. You can set any step setting, but then you try to build something, realize that you forgot to change your snap to grid settings, and you need to start over.
I think it would be the best to upload the old animation editor as a separate plugin that doesn’t ship with studio, because for people who used that one, this editor is quite complicated and corrupts workflow.

1 Like

I can’t have multiple motor6s on 1 limb? I could do this in the old version. This is needed for me to make proper sword animations.

The previous version of the animation editor also had this restriction. It depends on your setup, but in many cases the solvers on the motors will end up fighting over the final position. If yours happens to be a special case where this doesn’t happen, I would like to see the model so that we can figure out how it can be supported in the editor.

1 Like