Announcing the New Roblox Creator Roadmap (Part 1 of 4)

What does it mean by “All creators” on the Avatar creation?

1 Like

Hopefully only verified creators, if it’s all creators, I guarantee you it will be pure chaos.

3 Likes

If they do allow all creators then they will have to charge 2500 Robux for normal users per hat, sure it might sound cheap but there would be less of a chance of seeing bootleg items.

1 Like

everyone?! do you guys have moderation prepared for this?!

5 Likes

2500, 5000, 7500, I think it would be a win-win for both roblox and the creators if they actually just had better moderation.

3 Likes
7 Likes

While this roadmap is cool, it doesn’t actually address a lot of the things that I really wanted to know. I would really appreciate a more technical, in-depth roadmap on features that aren’t necessarily big, but mean things. For example:

• I heard about shapecasts coming to Roblox a year ago through random devs with Roblox engineer contact. I never knew when they were coming, and honestly if I never learned about it I might’ve switched platforms. Shapecasting is a big deal to me, and I have big things I want to do with it.
  • Reliability types. This is something I know is coming soon-ish, maybe, but I have zero clue when to even expect it. I’ve heard Q2 or Q3 in 2023, but I don’t know if that’s true or not. This is something that’s also make-or-break for me.
  • Open-sourced documentation. This was mentioned in RDC 2022, and I haven’t heard about it since. It’s something I really want to know, because there’s a lot that could be improved in the documentation, and obviously that’s to be expected.
  • Concurrent HTTP request limit. This was a low number, 3, and I heard it was going to be increased through a friend of mine. I heard it got increased to 15 a while later. This wasn’t even announced- how was I supposed to know about it? It’s something that’s super good to know, and I need to write code around it.
  • Lua-based physics controllers. This is something I saw on the API diff, it’s huge, still is huge, and I had no idea when it was coming, just that it was coming.

When I say I want transparency from Roblox, this is what I want.

Unrelated to transparency as in future features, but we also have no “correct” channel to confirm technical details w/ Roblox staff. This is something that transparency is also needed in. If I wanted to know how large certain data types are across the network, I have to test it myself. I don’t even know if my tests show the full story. I have to stalk Roblox staff on the devforum to get incredibly useful knowledge about, well generally everything. There’s incredibly useful knowledge that straight up isn’t even on the Roblox platform because it was said by engineers. Example: zeux.io - Voxel terrain: storage

While this blog post isn’t a bad thing (it was a nice read), it would be REALLY nice to have this information officially documented. This can negatively impact developers: Who could know, without any external help, that reducing the amount of filled terrain, even if non-visible, would significantly help with memory usage.

And this is seen, well, everywhere. (huge as far as I know in this segment) There is no official documentation that says when a packet is dropped by Roblox, all network traffic will be halted. There is no official documentation that says using the new task library means your code will run after physics, as opposed to before physics with regular wait(). Lots of microprofiler tags are still undocumented: compare Tag Table | Roblox Creator Documentation to Roblox: MicroProfiler Documentation - HackMD. A lot of memory tags have literally no documentation or information on them at all.

TLDR: transparency is good everywhere, including the engine itself

10 Likes

Feels lucky to be a developer on Roblox, a part of this community.

Fantastic.

2 Likes

so is Roadmap a learning place. it is cool but… heee idk

1 Like

Roblox doesn’t have a 2D engine (yet). Kind of scummy to use an argument that doesn’t even apply to Roblox. If you want to make 2D games, maybe choose another engine, not Roblox. Roblox wasn’t even designed to be 2D. The 2D engine was a playground for another application. You can already see that when Roblox was first released it was a 3D platform. You can’t complain that you don’t have something when there are other “better” options out there that you decided to ignore.

I’m assuming you’re talking about how bigger developers get special treatment. That’s just how it works. You treat individuals closer you better than ones that aren’t familiar with.

This is less of an argument of limitation but more so security. If something is abusable and can impact the end user, it’s not wrong to limit the use of that feature. There are bound to be some developers that would be triggered by the removal of the feature, and developers that get triggered if they don’t remove the feature (as it can pose a risk to other users or be an annoyance).

Discovery isn’t optimal, but they have tried to improve it over the years. Here’s a statistic they publicized in the roadmap:

8 Likes

I actually like how they’re improving the code assist because it was so horrible that it cannot even script a kill brick, also the thing where everyone can make their UGC it’s a good thing because It’s hard for people to submit and become one themselves, and I’m not a UGC creator and I really wanted to, but I didn’t have the capability to do now I can do it without being worry about not being in the UGC program

Also the thing that I dislike about is Bodies and Animated Faces bc I think people will figure out a way to make it disturbing, I don’t know maybe have better moderation to make the catalogue cleaner.

Those are all my thoughts and my opinion also everything else is good to be honest, and I don’t think those other things matter a lot.

That’s all.

3 Likes

hopefully the new facemasks trend gets separated into a different category just for them, i can’t detect the difference between one of those or sunglasses in a game

2 Likes

while I do appreciate the upcoming features and more transparency here, the major one that worries me is giving everyone UGC perms. Have any of the people who made this decision checked the 2d clothing catalog? its filled with copies of the same clothes!

what if the same thing happens to UGC Hats?

is there going to be better moderation for the UGC catalog? :cold_sweat:

1 Like

If you weren’t aware, Roblox started out as a 2D Physics lab for students around the world to use in physics classrooms. I’m rightful in questioning why Roblox doesn’t have what it used to. Additionally, I used other engines, namely Unreal and Unity, before coming to and settling on Roblox.

I’m also able to- if given time and resources, to help create a 2d engine/physics if Roblox needed the ‘man power’ as it seems they do.

That conservative mindset is one I don’t agree with. Stating there are better options- that I don’t ignore, but rather come from -doesn’t exactly help the situation. Roblox boasts about creating an ecosystem when I’m here to point it out for what it is, a flawed, outdated thing that needs to change.

Whilst, sure, that’s a factor in a way- that’s not what I was talking about at all. I don’t mean, in that quote, to be speaking of individual developers, but rather how Roblox can do a good thing for all and then turn around and rip things away from us. The developer star program or whatever is quite a great example of that, or the crown of o’s, or the video frames.

‘Here devs, have this cool thing… but actually, it’s going away or we ignore it later. :)’

Yeah, I’m all for some limits, but a full-on ‘no’?

They’ve also removed things that have made it worse. Filtering by categories, or how recommendations have deteriorated more than ever to be popular 2.0.

Some stuff to look at:

I don’t mean to be pessimistic. In fact, I am fond of many things Roblox has made/done. I’ve been able to- at times -get in touch with staff members about issues and have things seen through to an extent.

Xbox feature requests that are years old finally getting responses, the state of making a feature request as a member trust level on the forums being an issue, that feedback program I heard back from yet am still not apart of.

And, I’d like to stress to point that Roblox seems to be understaffed for what they’d like to do/need to do. This is due to many reasons, one of which being the jobs/careers page being flawed. I can’t get into contact with anyone.

I can go on, but I just want to say that I love what opportunities I’ve been given. I enjoy creating on this platform and want to see it grow, I want to make this platform better. Not being able to make a feature request and bug reports as a member (trust level on the forums) effectively is holding the platform back. Many things are holding Roblox back, I wish to change that. That means I got to be blunt about some of this stuff sometimes. Take the company core values into account and whatnot.

Anyhow, this is just part 1 of 4 so I guess I’ll hold my entire judgement till I see more.

2 Likes

Will this new roadmap include things on the website? And if it does, can we please submit requests because there are some things that I think would help creators a lot on the website (not the Roblox website in general, just the “Create” portion of the website. An example of a change that people have been requesting for ever since 2018: Link).

2 Likes

I am very, very worried if you decide to go through with a completely public community-led marketplace.

Community-led Marketplace - All creators can publish avatar items to the Marketplace, including Limiteds (Late 2023)

“All creators” could refer to verified users only. But then again, it could also refer to everyone who can create… which is everyone on the platform. Some more details on this would be appreciated.

I believe it isn’t hard to visualize the chaos the marketplace would be in if everyone had the ability to upload avatar items. You’ve had problems regarding Roblox-created copies, as well as copyright infringing items sneaking its way onto the marketplace before. If you open the gates to what could essentially be millions of people, those problems will just skyrocket and make it much harder to moderate than before.

3 Likes

I’m glad mobile is finally getting future lighting, as I’m working on a game that heavily uses future lighting and ray tracing.

2 Likes

This really looks cool! I cannot wait! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I am definitely looking forward to this.

(Edit)

How ever I must express some of my concerns. With opening the UGC to all creators I do feel that there has, and I mean HAS to have some good moderation. Roblox already has a problem with bypassing Shirts, along with Audios. I do fear that allowing these malicious creators have access to a new type of possible bypassing will be horrible for the Platform. The last thing we need is having Extremely inappropriate avatars walking around by Trolls/Online Daters ETC. This could easily flood Roblox Moderation with having to take down a new type of bypassing market. As they already seem to struggle with finding and taking down the current bypasses.

So if there were to be an open UGC market I feel that it would be VITAL to have a completely revamped moderation system in the item approved/disapproved UGC’s. Like actual human moderation for every item. How ever this could be bad with Millions of people uploading UGC’s. So That is my current concerns.

Anyone else have any other concerns? Feel free to let me know I would be curious to hear them!

2 Likes

I understand the point of a change like this, but I feel it would make it even harder for new games to become popular, or new genres.

Take for example a story game. If one has a much better plot but doesn’t have the enhanced support and features that come with it, players will generally pick a game that feels more immersive, being the bigger game. Of course, this depends if both games are built with realism in mind or not.

This kinda ties onto @ThunderingKey 's first point about equality.

Opinions?

1 Like