Any basic tips for noob builders?

So, Increments are limitations on how much you can move or rotate a part. Let me explain.
In the “Model” tab in studio, there are 2 checkboxes. 1 for Rotating and 1 for Moving/Scaling.
I do not use increments because I haven’t realised the importance of them in the start, and now it’s a lot harder for me to get used to, but you should try and get used to them right away.
They are mostly used for Medium/Large parts, so you can scale and move them precisely with them being the right distance/scale from one another.
It is best if you try yourself. Try for example to make 4 walls for a house with the “Move” textbox being 1 stud (remember to check the checkbox or else the increments are disabled), if you’re using the increment, you’ll notice how the parts just fit into place perfectly. But if you do the same thing with the checkbox turned off, you’ll almost never make the walls perfect and there’ll always be irregularities.
So you don’t use increments when you’re making small models like props because you need precision for them.

For Rotating, I use 45 degrees since then i can rotate parts 90 degrees precisely and 45 degrees if needed.
I turn off the checkbox in rotating when I want the rotation to be non-linear and to seem
more realistic and non-patterned.
I don’t know how to really explain it, but as I mentioned, you should just try experimenting with different Increments (different numbers inside the Rotate and Move textboxes) and see what works.
Thanks for reading and hope this helped :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First thing, do not consider yourself as a noob, just think yourself as a beginner. Coming to the point, you’re completely new to the studio, so I’d recommend you to see some basic videos on building tutorials.

You’re trying to make a hangout, so you must have seen some vibe games or some normal hangouts. If you still do face problems regarding hangouts build then simply take references from Pinterest and google. It literally depends on you to pick blender or Roblox studio. It isn’t necessary at all to use textures while building, so you don’t need to worry about that at all. You can simply use a plugin 3d Text. Anyways, that’s all… Hope it helped you and good luck on your first build! :grinning:

4 Likes

I recommend building on Roblox Studio.

But modelling is better with blender.

You can use some text plugins, or make a text from blender and import it to studio.
Or if you want to make them with parts, just rotate and scale. I don’t know how else i can tell you that.

I think you mean the materials on roblox studio. Well, yes. Because the materials are very old and they don’t look very modern. Just search up material on the toolbox, you will see some good materials pop up.

I am not a builder, but i would say keep practicing until you get something good and you’re happy with.

2 Likes

Start with Roblox Studio first, it’s more simple and it can be a lot of fun. If you want to make more complex models, then use Blender, but I suggest you start with Studio.

There’s a plug-in that allows you to make 3D text, ThreeDText 2 - Roblox

Not if you don’t want to. If you want your game to have a more custom look, feel free to use some custom textures.

Don’t put too many details, or else it’ll look crowded.

3 Likes

sorry I was running short on time is their anything else you want to know?

2 Likes

Blender is a 3D modeling software capable of creating all sort of things you could use to design more complicated structures, it depends on what you’re making stuff like roads or simple props; these can usually be done within studio without the need of a software. To get the basics and understanding of blender is to just start learning, watch a handful of tutorials/ guides - resources.

Since you’re making a sort of hangout place a software isn’t needed, however this really comes down to your own preference. In my opinion, if you’re more into building complicated builds that can’t be created with studio a program could be used for these certain things.

The use of textures depends on what certain style you’re going for, if you’re going for something with realism using custom textures is necessary however you could mix them up to your own choice. The questions you have in mind could definitely be searched using the forum function. Here are threads that leave the majority of tips and information. Refer:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for that, particularly on how to get other materials beside Roblox’s ones, it will help me a lot! :grin:

1 Like

Thank you so, so much for the text plug-in name, I cannot express how much I thank you for that, it will help me tremendously! :grinning:

2 Likes

Nope, that would be all for now, but thank you for asking! :smiley:

1 Like

Nicee! Thank you very much for the thread links too! ^^

2 Likes

I have been looking into various games, and I can say it has inspired me quite a bit, so thanks for that! I use blender for rigging and animation and I have deemed Blender a tad bit too hard to make actual models on, for now anyways :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No problem! Have fun :grinning:

2 Likes

hold is simple dont make it too hard for yourself.

2 Likes

For a person new to building/modeling, I can’t recommend blender. Practise building in studio first. Blender would look better though, if you’re good at it.

Use surfacegui and add text onto it. You can make a sign that way.
You can also sculpt the letters, but that takes a lot of time and I wouldn’t reccommend it. (Unless the letters play an important role in the game. The word “Bank” on a bank building for example.

Not at all! If you want to make a roblox game that mainly focuses on gameplay, the existing textures are all you need. Building a game where the environment is important is a different story, textures are extremely nessecary in those.
Also remember that games can still be good without too much detail. Take a look at some of the front page games; Adopt Me! and Brookhaven are both very succesful games, but don’t have very detailed builds.

Yes. I use unions to make the textures of a part blend better. Unions basically take mutiple parts together and turn them into one.
I also base my builds on things I can touch. When I make a flower pot for example, I take the flower pot from my desk and look at every small detail, from every angle. That’s entirely up to you though!

3 Likes

My classic link indeed, but every point there essentially applies.

3 Likes

There are some differences between Studio and Blender.

Blender

• Used for meshes, mainly small objects that are hard to build with blocks
  • Used for modelling
  • More complicated
  • Better result for small objects like cars

Studio

• Used for building large scale, with more detail
  • Less complicated
  • Better result for large objects like buildings
Letters

Try placing the blocks together to make something that shapes like the letter, then fill the gaps with a plugin (recommended) or manually fill it yourself.

Textures

I’d recommend using your own textures, but for beginners, you might want to find them from the toolbox.

Clean look

Avoid Z fighting. This means having blocks colliding with each other and fighting to be the one on top. This will make the colours of the two parts clip here and there.

Also add more detail to make it cleaner and more beautiful!

Good luck!

4 Likes

Thank you for providing the comparison details between the two! :grin:

1 Like

Nicee, thank you very much for the tips and stuff, it will really help me a lot :smiley:

2 Likes

Use increments. Less is sometimes more. Don’t spam neon everywhere, it doesn’t look good. Learn how to properly use lighting.

3 Likes

Put it overall together in Studio but there is nothing wrong making some small details in blender.

No, I really only ever use 2 or 3 textures anywise so I don’t think there is a need.

Use the “Smooth Plastic” texture on everything and align your parts perfectly.

3 Likes