Asset Manager is Here (BACK IN BETA)

Where do i find the badges folder? I cant find it in the asset manager, if it’s not there then where is it?

If you tinker with the right files you can resurrect Game Explorer. I don’t know how long this will work for, though, so this isn’t a permanent fix unless you want to permanently use an outdated version of Studio.

3 Likes

It would have been an easier fix if Roblox just added sorting, add folder and a search functionality in the game explorer. I did not have any issues with the game explorer. It looked fine to me.

3 Likes

Is there any chance if you could show me and others how you did that? The Asset Manager is a pain to work with and I prefer the Game Explorer.

2 Likes

My workflow involves importing upwards of 200 meshes at any one time. I don’t have any particular problems with the update itself; things like the filtering and previews seem amazing. However, now that shift + selecting isn’t possible anymore it’s totally impossible for me to work on anything right now and my game will have to do without new content for a short while. I do not have the willpower to individually select hundreds of meshes from my previous model to remove them from my importing place, before selecting all the new ones to insert them into workspace.

2 Likes

This plugin might help hold you over until the asset manager gets patched. Easy Mesh Importer - Roblox (devforum thread: Fast Mesh Importer)

The meshes you import won’t be stored in the asset manager as they’ll be dumped in a model in workspace directly, but odds are you don’t want 200 meshes cluttering your asset manager anyway. A win-win!

3 Likes

I need the gameexplorer back the assetmanager have to many bugs… PLEASE
and i can not select with “tab”…
the sort is not correct …i cant see the newest meshs

This feature is SICK! I wish we could make our own folders and drag things in and out of it from the 3D view or Explorer like we can do with Unity prefabs.

If you’re in the Packages folder, dragging something from the Explorer into the Asset Manager window should be a shortcut for the Convert to Package action. That would be awesome.

It looks great. I don’t like it however because it use to be easy to export a batch of meshes and now I can’t.

4 Likes

Why can’t the asset manager have some sort of option to show all the assets you uploaded to roblox instead of just showing the ones uploaded from that instance of studio?

1 Like

Same here, just started up studio and I was blasted with a console filled with errors.

I hate to be that guy, but I don’t think this added anything. Looks were never a problem, it was nice that it was consistent, looked the same as the workspace explorer.
I’m not sure if it was only for me, but it already sorted, maybe not alphabetically but it definitely changed the order after quitting and re-entering studio.
Isn’t the filter just a searchbar? Pretty sure we already had that.
These different view types don’t seem to be there off the bat, it’s not really user friendly if you have to search up how to do it now is it.
The 3D preview is nice I guess.

Edit: Literally the only thing the last editor needed was folders. Who cares about automatic sorting when you can just categorize all of your assets yourself? Yes I know how it is quite rude to say “Your work was pointless, it only made things worse” but it was pretty clear that the old explorer only lacked folders.

Edit2: Also just realized that you can no longer see the “properties” of certain things the Game Explorer had. This is just a downgrade.

4 Likes

That’s not really a solution for massive importing, because this plugin only lets you import 1 mesh.

Exactly! It would be nice if you could choose between the old Game Explorer (which I prefer) and this new asset manager.

2 Likes

I posted the critical bug report I’m replying to in April, and it never got addressed. Three full months ago.
Now the asset manager has been forced on me with no option to switch back. Seriously?

It’s still only loading that one package, and now there are no duplicates, but there is also nothing else there, at all, at a moment when I need to update multiple packages in my game for a critical bug fix. Just another reason to use Rojo and abandon packages, I guess.

15 Likes

The only benefit is the appearance however it is very buggy and it fails to load the icons!
I thought this new interface will give us a way to separate meshes like making folders for games with hundreds to thousands of meshes, Images, etc.

I want the old game explorer Roblox please :sob:

7 Likes

I personally see very little benefit to having images for each item, if I upload something - I generally already know what it is and have uploaded it for a reason. A lot of the objects I upload are split and are visually unidentifiable on their own, this is why I rename them in the 3D software I use. What would have been nice is the addition of a file system, a good example would be blenders “Collections” its simple, clean and easy to use.

The alphabetical sorting system is kind of annoying, I would rather see what I uploaded chronologically and not be forced to use the filter system each time.

The fact that we can no longer select items via shift clicking is a big issue.

In conclusion, I would rather have the old game explorer back - as would many others it seems. Perhaps in the future some of these changes can be added and be optional.

8 Likes

I’ve noticed that there is no option to archive meshes or images with the asset manager

Are you planning on adding it in the future sometime? Because I would love an option to do so.

2 Likes

It seriously looks good, no doubt on that, but this is released way too early. It errors all the time, has small things not working and just things that shouldn’t be removed as feature. From my opinion, the ideas of this project don’t come along with features we actually need. Just like the bulk import, the idea of that is to import a large amount of meshes in once. But it doesn’t come along. Now I have like 500 meshes just randomly in an endless folder, of which I need to select everything manually holding Ctrl. The whole point of this new project which should make things easier to upload and just find things back, didn’t pack out well. In general, I just hope that we can re-enable the old Game Explorer and actually choose between this new project, and the old Game Explorer.

8 Likes

Among other bugs, Asset Manager also breaks the cursor icon, making it stuck.
Pay attention to the cursor in this video. Notice how it changes when I click stuff in the Toolbox vs stuff in Asset Manager.

Once I click anything in the Asset Manager, the cursor icon no langer changes when I hover over objects in the Workspace, which is extremely confusing, and forces me to restart Studio for it to get unstuck (and then I have to avoid even slight use of Asset Manager, or it will get stuck again).

4 Likes

You can try to fix that by clicking again on the mouse cursor next to move and scale. But yeah, this shouldn’t be working like that in first place.