Asset Manager Phased Rollout

Let’s be a bit annoying, you meant “our” here, right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I prefer the layout of the Game Explorer. It just looks really nice and is really easy to navigate through.

1 Like

one feature I preferred about game explorer was the ability to open folders at the same time, like in game explorer. It makes it much easier to navigate.

1 Like

could you let us make folders inside of folders to organize assets. like we can add a folder and name it “buildings” and put it in meshes to find things better.

I’m confused. Is this actually replacing the Explorer panel in-studio, or is this just an exaggerated question?

@Clueless_Brick - yes, Asset Manager is replacing Game Explorer. Right now, we are going through a phased rollout for this replacement and collecting feedback.

3 Likes

@omgcchheeessee - got it, yes allowing custom folders is on our backlog.

5 Likes

Lol, thanks for catching that @xChris_vC. Fixed!

4 Likes

@wookey12 - can you share a workflow where having this will be handy? If you have lots of images and meshes, opening both and trying to find content will be cumbersome. We also optimized for scalability with the current approach.

2 Likes

Glad to see all the feedback being taken to heart. However—

What’s with these interface updates (New Playerlist from a while ago for example) and way too much empty space in between list entries? We don’t need [Double Spaced, 12-pt font Times New Roman] for everything we interact with every time or a relative chasm in between each thumbnail. As others have mentioned, a scaling option would be nice at some point.

Keep up the good work otherwise.

Wow, that’s exciting! I haven’t had the time to test it out, but I’ll be sure to try it out when I get home!

A quick question I have regarding about Asset Manager; will this new panel change the way we script things or will things stay mostly the same in Lua language?

For example, will we have to type a different path instead of:

game.Workspace.Part

When inserting multiple MeshParts, can all the inserted parts automatically get selected in the workspace? Currently, only one gets selected. Small thing I noticed that slightly slows down my workflow. The Game Explorer never had this issue.

1 Like

I like it although I feel that it has to be more dynamic to add files and create folders something like unreal engine

Any to plan to include “Created Places” - created by AssetService:CreatePlaceAsync() within a game universe?
At the moment there is actually no way for developers to access and edit these places, thus effectively preventing us from updating our existing game maps.

Hi @PezzoGuy - that’s fair feedback. We are exploring options to better control information density across Studio.

2 Likes

Hi @Clueless_Brick - nope, this is a new experience for managing assets in your game. It does not affect Explorer or scripting.

2 Likes

Great catch - thanks for providing actionable feedback,@Nosniy! I can repro it, will log a bug and get it addressed.

4 Likes

Not sure if this was reported yet, but right clicking audio into Add Audio will search for the wrong file formats.

(This is what comes up)

Thanks for reporting this @TeamSwordphin. This issue has been fixed and will be released in an upcoming update.

3 Likes

With this in mind is there a way to make it so when you upload a fbx of a model with multiple parts inside of it, could you make it so all those parts are added into it’s own folder inside of meshes?