Thanks for your invaluable feedback on the previous Beta release of Asset Manager. We heard your feedback loud and clear and enhanced the Asset Manager to better align with your workflows. We are now ready to start rolling out the enhanced Asset Manager!
So what is new based off of the feedback?
- Asset Manager now has a List View! And that’s across all views. This, by far, stood out as the biggest piece of feedback from the earlier release. Oh, and this is now the default! And, it shows thumbnails!
- You can still toggle from List View to use the Grid View based on your preference
- Importing items now opens a Recently Added view to help you immediately find, select and use the newly imported assets
- Shift-Click & CMD / CTRL-Click multi-select
- Add New Place is now available in the context menu in Places folder
- We also made quality fixes based on your feedback e.g. duplicate packages or only one package shows up, root place has same icon as others, missing Linked Scripts, extraneous error messages in the output window etc.
Why is Asset Manager replacing Game Explorer?
Currently, asset management is scattered across different places e.g. Create, Account Inventory pages on the website, Inventory in Toolbox / Game Explorer in Studio. Our long-term vision is to have a single place for managing all assets: Asset Manager.
In order to accomplish this vision, we built a new experience for managing assets that supports:
- Deterministic sort order - items are listed in predictable order every time making it more intuitive to find items unlike Game Explorer
- Ability to search / filter - making it much easier to find what you are looking for in a long list of assets
- Unified Asset Preview we already had in Toolbox - making it easier to discern which asset you are adding to your Place
- Scaled well to handle large lists - as number of assets in Places get larger over time, Asset Manager will seamlessly scale by fetching items on scroll
We also laid the foundation to enable user-defined organization in the future e.g. custom folders.
What are the plans for Phased Rollout?
We are planning to start rollout starting Dec 3 and gradually increase it over time.
Can I still turn it off?
Yes, during the phased rollout you can go to File > Beta Features and uncheck ‘Asset Manager’. But if you do, please respond to this announcement and let us know what didn’t work for you.
As you can see your feedback is invaluable to us as we chart the course for the future of Asset Management in Studio.
Thanks again to everyone who has provided valuable feedback along this journey! And a big shoutout to the team for all the hardwork that has gone into Asset Manager @aNewMoose @fpscrazy @billlipeng @funturious @April_Sheep @robDR and especially @smoothiecriminals!