Assistant for Docs: Use AI to Build, Grow, and Monetize Your Creations

[Update] November 20, 2023

Hi Creators,

Today, we’re starting to test the first set of Assistant (beta) AI capabilities that’s based on our documentation. You can use this Assistant to help you build, grow, and monetize your creations.

To check if you have access, click the Assistant button in our documentation top nav or visit the Assistant directly. If you don’t have access, please be patient as we’re still in beta and expect to roll out to more people in the coming weeks.

How to use the Assistant to find answers

We trained the Assistant using Roblox documentation to answer your questions in 3 categories:

1. Build: e.g., “Can you help me design a fun core loop? Reply and I’ll share more.”
  2. Grow: e.g., “How do I get new users to come back to my experience?”
  3. Monetize: e.g., “What options do I have to monetize my experience?”

You can select a sample question or ask your own to start the conversation.

The Assistant will return an answer with relevant links to our documentation. You can then:

1. Continue the conversation
  2. Tap regenerate to show a new response
  3. Tap thumbs up or down to rate the response (this will help us improve!)

Tips for using the Assistant

The Assistant will sometimes hallucinate answers so be sure to check for accuracy. Here are a few more tips from our testing:

1. The more context and examples you can provide, the better

For example, instead of a one-line prompt like this:

How can I design a fun core loop?

Consider a prompt like:

Help me design a fun core loop for my game. Here are some relevant details:

1. I want to build a game where players can hunt treasure as pirates
2. They can also buy and upgrade pirate ships and battle each other

The prompt above produces a much more personalized answer.

2. Consider a multi-step prompt to encourage the Assistant to think

The Assistant produces better results when you ask it to proceed step by step. Here’s an example:

Can you explain a script to me? Reply and I’ll share it.

The Assistant will return a response like: “Yes, I’d be happy to help you understand a script, please share it.” You can then paste the script to get something like this:

As you can see, this is a useful way to learn Roblox development!

3. Use the Assistant and documentation together to solve your problem

Sometimes, the Assistant will give an answer that doesn’t seem quite right. When this happens, keep talking to the Assistant and read the linked documentation to try to figure out the solution.

Give us feedback on the Assistant’s documentation capability

Please give us feedback to improve the Assistant by:

1. Using the thumbs up and down buttons in the response and then sharing your feedback.
  2. Sharing comments and screenshots in this devforum post.

If you don’t have access, we will update this post when we roll out to more people in the coming weeks. We’re also working on other Assistant capabilities (e.g., building in Studio, material generation) that are coming soon.

264 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

As a guy who is against AI, This is a bad update, Now more games will be AI-Generated, and there will be little to no effort placed by humans, and this won’t improve my game in any way, it makes it worse, I have known about this at RDC 2023, but I got concerned when I heard about it, Now it has came to more people which makes this sound scarier.

EDIT: Everyone has been sending me about it, but I don’t get why we would need 10 year olds to ask an easily googled question to AI, the devforum exists and we can ask questions here, Just being a helpful person or asking an easily googled question is enough

75 Likes

I can see this really helping beginner developers looking to grasp game development concepts. It’d be cool to see an opt-in feature to personalize suggestions based on experience analytics in the future.

40 Likes

When can we also use AI for building? I would love to type a prompt and have it build for me :grin:

35 Likes

Great, now beginners won’t even make the effort to think and will be assisted by the AI, ahahah, sad

33 Likes

This is a pretty good thing, the only problem is that now people will be dependent on it for scripting

26 Likes

This is not about AI-generated games, this is about getting a LLM specific to Roblox to give better answers than ChatGPT will be able to give -many developers are already using it, including me. I can tell you that it actually helps me about 50% of the time, which half of that being just a pointer without any actual code. This can be better (I do not know yet).

51 Likes

Edited this whole post to make more comments about it

I was very hesitated at first whenever this post went out, but I actually tried it and I would loved to have this as a beginner and even now, I’m using it for how to keep players entertained in my game, and making sure I do everything right. I appreciate and thank every single Roblox Staff member that developed this, nice job!

I do not understand, like Elttob said where these negative comments come from.

Honestly, it gives really good tips for games and all. Great job!

External Media
17 Likes

I don’t understand the negative comments in these replies. Being able to have answers formulated to match your exact question is something I’d have loved as a beginner.

By the way, I appreciate that Roblox’s overall approach to AI has been to make sure they’re using training data they’re actually licensed to use. Thanks for being respectful of that.

99 Likes

exactly. This is a perfectly fine update and a good one at that. There’s been many times where I have a question about the specific implementation of a newish feature in in my code and chatgpt has no idea that it exists. (things like the new body movers, and other stuff similar)

here’s just one example of a question that chatgpt wouldn’t be able to answer properly:

25 Likes

(post deleted by author)

13 Likes

Cool update. Can’t wait to see it’s implementation into studio. Tried it and it works pretty equivalent to other LLMs. (Now I will never need to leave Roblox) Thanks in advance for saving me hours of work and forum scrolling.

17 Likes

Is there a time zone for when these will come into studio specifically the ai texture generator?

9 Likes

That sounds bad, beginners can ask an easily googled question to the AI

10 Likes

What’s wrong with that? If there are two methods to find information, googling (semi-)relevant answers or getting fine-tuned explanation from the source, then there’s no harm in using the latter method.

It’s certainly newer tech and not the legacy “find your answers on Google” method, but we all should make a shift sometime (or at least stop criticizing others who don’t do exactly what you do to find information).

31 Likes

Yes. That’s the entire point.

Not only can they ask the question to the AI, they can have the AI explain it in any way, elaborate, help them with things related to the question, and much more without needing to wait for a response on the dev forum for example. ChatGPT could somewhat do this, but this is much better since it will always have the updated API, unlike ChatGPT which is stuck in 2021.

There’s nothing bad that can come from this. If you think it’s making game dev too easy then you clearly haven’t tried to code with an AI. They can be helpful tools for certain things revolving around code, or getting answers to your question (which is what this AI is really helpful for), but they can in no way create entire project’s and manage code bases.

14 Likes

I, as somone who has coded in Roblox Studio for over 3 years, am totally against this update. It now takes no skill needed to develop a Roblox game, and sure, more people can make Roblox games, but it essentially makes everything any experienced developer has learned over time completely useless, since every single 5 year old can now make roblox games. I hoped Roblox would never do this, yet they did…

So, first the bad UGC update, now this. Roblox just keeps getting worse and worse.

Edit: I’m not saying using the AI for tips and using it to learn stuff is bad, I’m saying copy/pasting code from the AI with no effort is bad

13 Likes

I’m very neutral towards AI, but I think this can really help users who are starting out, it can even be helpful towards more experienced devs if they’re struggling to come up with ideas. I think this is even better considering it’s based around Roblox Docs, so it’ll be more specific and more precise with inquiries related to Roblox, unlike something like ChatGPT.

I don’t have much of an opinion myself, but I think this is a mostly positive, healthy upgrade and tool to help people learn (within its limits)

12 Likes

:sob:

10 Likes