Rendering Issue (Beams, Trails, Fog, Lighting)

I restarted Studio and it updated, and now the lighting update that broke beams is in studio too.

At least now it looks awful consistently /s

Please fix this soon, thanks!

8 Likes

My fear is that they will say this is intentional with the addition of atmosphere. The problem is that they never notified developers of this. I like the new features, but it seems Roblox is ignoring the backward compatibility model in favor of just force updating systems, even if it causes issues in games that have not been updated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. These are cosmetic issues and our team is currently looking into it.

43 Likes

Thank you for the swift response!

5 Likes

Same thing is happening to me.

Before:

After:

8 Likes

This change is affecting more than just beams and trails for me, but also things like fog and the general brightness of things in the game: The most recent update is rendering everything significantly brighter

7 Likes

I also notices that Ambient Occlusion got removed(it’s the drop shadow thing at corners in max graphic)

4 Likes

I am also experiencing this issue. It has ruined the look of my game.

P.S. Might want to unmark the solution until it’s actually fixed

5 Likes

Happened to me, every beam seems to have no gradient, as well as this they seem to be pixeled? And transparency has to be set very high to achieve similar effects as seen previously.

3 Likes

Ambient occlusion seems non existant aswell, and everything seems so faded.

2 Likes

Previously there was a slight fade for the lights, now it seems to be a solid colour, Outside I also have some beam clouds which glow insanely bright now.

7 Likes

Alright, so. There are 4 issues for now:

1. There is no Screen Space Ambient Occlusion.
  2. Beams & Trails rendering is very odd.
  3. Everything renders slightly brighter than before.
  4. Ropes are now fully visible underwater for some reason.

I planned to release my game 3 days ago, but that did not happen because of these issues. They are quite important and ruining the look of the game completely.
Please fix that faster!

14 Likes

Usually in cases like this they roll it back. I’m a bit flabbergasted that they haven done this yet, considering they’ve done it before for lesser problems.

I can’t show off any new pictures of my game to my community until this is fixed. This sucks.

5 Likes

Adding to this list, ropes and constraints are also fully visible in fog now.

4 Likes

Title updated to better fit the issue at hand.

2 Likes

Also experiencing this issue. Would like to know if it’s intentional or a bug, that way I can retrofit my lighting accordingly.

5 Likes

Stated by staff member Gu4rana above:

The beam and trail situation are cosmetic issues and are being investigated.

As for the other issues presented on this thread; it is unclear if they are intentional or not. I presume, however, they are unintentional.

3 Likes

Please note that there are other bug reports on the forum for some of these issues, e.g. the topic about SSAO is here: Screen-space ambient occlusion does not appear in Studio or Player

2 Likes

Same. I had an auditorium that used hundreds of beams to make the lighting more realistic, and I ended up having to disable all the beams. There is a really steep curve for editing transparency on beams now. When using a number sequence, or even general transparency, to get the beam like partially visible you literally have to set the variables to crazy things like 0.9985.

2 Likes

That and it doesn’t even render properly, just looks like a decal.

1 Like