Sudden Lighting change + cannot preview results on Studio

It’s less dramatic for us on Jailbreak but it was instantly noticeable when hopping in Studio.

I’m also noticing grass quality is really poor. It looks “patchy” everywhere and I don’t think any lighting is being applied to it. It’s super flat in shading. The edge of the grass render distance is really harsh too. Just looks out of place compared to yesterday.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 4.31.05 PM

21 Likes

Grass quality is incredibly poor for me too right now. The missing ambient occlusion on grass makes everything look much more flat and dull against the terrain texture

5 Likes

My game went from (prob not needed but)

[Before]

[After]

3 Likes

If it’s any help to the engineers, it looks almost like a camera FOV change. I play with FOV a ton and everything going on reminds me of setting my FOV to 15 or 20. You see more fog, you notice less grass in the distance, and chunk cutoffs are rough.

Alternatively, it’s like the LOD center point is off center if that makes sense.

3 Likes

Hope this atmosphere property comes out very soon.
Games being affected by this ‘pollution’-type of fog doesn’t make up for a great experience if yet, there’s no concrete way to configure it.

Update : Lighting seems to have another minor change + now can be tested on Studio

I think i’ll put it as solved, doesn’t seems like it’s a mistake, just Roblox keeping the infos for themselves.

1 Like

Why did you mark this thread as solved? It’s not solved. RIP getting any engineering response to this drastic change.

4 Likes

I don’t mind set it back to unsolved, but it’s already been noted that the new lighting caused issues

it’s also fairly possible that they won’t revert it and fix the beam visual alone, all we can do is wait for a answer to this :

Yes. This started happening with the latest RobloxStudio update. I believe It’s because they are working with terrain/lighting stuff so they probably made a mistake with this.

70% Of these terrain issues are ALL LOD! (I believe…)

3 Likes

I believe its actually the astomospheric thing that is coming out based on the updates and DistanceBlur instance that was recently added and other things people have pointed out (doesn’t work yet I believe though I may be using it wrong :man_shrugging:)

You are probably right, these are part of those terrain/lighting changes I mentioned in my reply to this topic. The atmosphere is the lighting part of it.

I just hope this fixes REAL soon.

Don’t worry! It’s not enabled for Client nor Servers yet so you are probably using it right but It’s just not enabled on our ends yet.

If you are interested tho, you can download the mod version someone created and bunch of developers are using it. It has all these new features and bunch more…

I believe roblox is currently undergoing the implementation of the new lighting, including the atmosphere. As to why they made the sudden changes to the grass and the fog right now without pushing an update, I do not know. Right now, I would just continue developing. They will at some point push the entire update, hopefully fixing this.

doesn’t even look like shadow map is on my grass also seems patchy like this sometimes but I personally haven’t had the lighting problem so just try to see if anything works

There’s already enough evidence that this is an issue, but it doesn’t hurt to add to the pile:

I set the environment specular and dampening scale to 1 on the after image of the first map. Nothing else was changed.

Before

After

I did not change any lighting settings between these two images:

Before

After

went from beautiful to bonk nasty (;- ; )

1 Like

Yeah, I can concur with you. This is possibly the most ugliest thing I’ve ever seen happen to roblox visually. They ruined a perfectly good looking 3D grass. Again, I really hope that they will fix this and not leave it laying around like other issues.

I hope this is fixed sometime soon. In addition to just looking generally bad, in my game fog is quite important for stealth and players have discovered they can see players from across the map if they are on the lowest graphics setting.

1 Like

This needs to be fixed…but like seriously why would you put this topic as “SOLVED” when It’s not!
My projects are all with terrain and they’re looking horrible at the moment…this is really stopping development for me!

2 Likes

Because this isn’t a Bug report, it’s a “Building Support” Category, which is meant to solve OP’s issues,
you should remember what i said :

It was set as Solved since Roblox Studio was able to preview this lighting change, and this is all i wanted. of course, getting back to the original lighting would have been the best course but the game i’m showing on picture couldn’t wait for a fix, the difference was major.

Locking this because people don’t read and keep bumping this over the relevant Platform Feedback topics.