[Beta] New Experiences Have Team Create Enabled

Honestly, I’ve never had any issues with Team Create, even as a mainly solo developer. In my personal experience, Team Create has always helped and never really caused any problems for me. The biggest issue I’ve had would be forgetting to commit a draft but that just took a while to get used to and now I barely notice it any more.

It seems to be a rather unpopular opinion in this thread, but I personally like these new changes. I don’t really see the need to have offline editing, as almost all developers have internet access, though I guess it could be useful. When my internet does go down, as it is actually pretty unreliable and does go down rather often, I just take a break. It isn’t that much of an issue and taking breaks is healthy. The same goes for Roblox downtime, which is often under a day and typically gets fixed quickly. You can’t even play Roblox normally without internet, so I don’t really see the need to support it on a platform that is so heavily based on online gaming.

I do get that it’s a bit inconvenient for people who make a lot of testing places, but they already addressed that in the post. It only takes a few seconds to make a new place and it gets automatically archived if you don’t manually save/publish it, so it won’t add any additional clutter.

2 Likes

Well that depends, this feature is still in Beta so it might just get thrown out. However, I’m quite confident these features going to be implemented into the streamline version of Roblox Studio and not only for Beta Testers.

1 Like

I hated forced Team Create when developing solo, for example, being forced to turn it on just to invite people to play your game, and now this. Sure, this might roll out smooth for a lot of people, but I feel like this would hurt tons of people who use lower-end hardware.

Team Create on low-end hardware makes load times longer and it’s much more a hassle. Whenever I try adding a collaborator, I get forced to wait like two minutes just for Team Create to turn on, so I can’t imagine how annoying it would be to quickly switch which game you’re editing or even for a new player. I am hoping there will be an option to permanently turn this off, but I feel like lower-end creators are going to get hurt the most.

16 Likes

How much I appreciate the motivation and the work behind this update.

I do not agree with team create being enabled by default.
I work on projects completely alone and solo.

The only time I work in teams is someone providing me a model or asset and me manually importing it afterwards which happens in a completely different experience/place file.

I find having to commit script changes and such to be a hindrance, disabling team create often saves me a few clicks.
I just like to have it permanently disabled unless I actually need it (if I ever do).

Why not make it an option when you create a new experience?
Have a little checkbox for “Enable team create” or something at place creation?

6 Likes

It’ll be amazing ! Good work Roblox ! :smiley:

1 Like

Immediately turning this off once it gets re-enabled. I don’t want my inventory cluttered with hundreds of baseplates, nor do I want Team Create enabled at all.

I only ever work solo, so Team Create doesn’t benefit me, especially when it takes longer to load and requires an active internet connection. I don’t exactly have the best internet, and Studio’s local autosave works just fine.

And it was bad enough the last time Roblox tried something like this, but now literally just opening an empty baseplate will create a new place without my consent.

I don’t care that the place is archived; it’s still creating a new place. And for stuff like quickly accessing Game Settings, I already have my own standalone testing place for that.

Please reconsider this.

16 Likes

Is there any way to stop this. I usually just prefer editing some models or scripts and would rather wan’t to discard it after use. I also switch between accounts and just generally prefer local files to cloud games.

This isn’t always a good thing

5 Likes

I’d expect this to be on Starting page but one problem with publishing game is that if it’s the first time, we’re gonna wait for the delays since Team Create is always enabled by default when developers like me didn’t realize with that one (should we have the “Remember this Option” on game setting :sad:)

Also with auto-saving, do you mean it won’t save a place recovery file???

2 Likes

Add a toggle setting. Please. Don’t force this obnoxious change upon us.

Forcing Team Create on all places is a terrible idea. As if creating new places wasn’t already slow enough, this has us wait for EVEN LONGER to even open up a place. Do I really need to wait minutes to quickly create a temporary place, which I have absolutely no intention adding any editors to? And to randomly have empty baseplates saved?

On another note, as many have already said, you should work towards keeping Roblox Studio work offline. This is a major step back.

I understand that with this update you had positive intentions, however, this won’t work.

15 Likes

I like team create, we make all our games using it, but please add better git support, such as branches or the ability for someone to make a pull request before code get committed to the main game. If you have 4 people working on a game it can be hard to know whos editing what code.

2 Likes

I don’t like the direction this is heading at. Are you guys planning to deprecate “offline” editing?
Team Create is still too unstable to be considered the default option IMO.

• Automatic live moderation of created content and possible false bans

I’ve been always wondering, do you guys have literally infinite storage space or what? You don’t even allow users to remove the content they upload.

17 Likes

This is exactly what I am worrying about, along with numberous other issues. Making Roblox Studio an online-only application would make it difficult to create things offline, or even editing simple scripts that you need to revise.

At the moment, I have an ethernet cable connected from a router on a small table to my computer which is on a larger table, which causes the only way back and forth to become a limbo obstacle, because that is all I can do to even use my computer with WiFi. At times, I will need to disconnect the ethernet until the situation around the area is not too dynamic anymore, and regardless, I would want to make revisions to my scripts.

Without being able to just have the place in my local files instead of in the hands of servers which tend to fail near-regularly, I won’t be able to configure the place, and instead have to wait for hours if not days just to make a simple patch I found out I could make for my game. Worse if the patch is critical and it happens to be that you cannot publish game updates but players can still play the game

I’d also much rather choose what is put into the servers rather than having my places vulnerable to potential security breaches. Local files are always going to be harder to get and notice than files being contained in servers owned by an extremely well-known company.

Simply put, Making a development program solely based on being online is not a good idea if people want to make changes to their games regardless of internet connection. I’d actually like it if you made it so Roblox Studio can be started up without internet, and if you had us install the material files, since the defaults are present in all games, and it would be nice to see some kind of texture. Even better if you allowed us to install caches of the textures in our game for offline mode so we can see exactly what our game is supposed to look, regardless of internet.

Some other reasons to why I object on this matter:

Expending more space than you already have is going to make unnecessary amounts of money drop out of your wallets. I do get that some people like it that their data is saved in the servers if their last device was ruined by a lethal drop or a splash of water, but it’s usually better to leave it to the people themselves to backup their own data.

Clutter and automation without consent is not really a solo developer’s usual best friend, and local backups are already more safe than leaving them in a server which could get impaired for a long time.

Internet connections are not always consistent depending where you are, and if you have to rely on McDonalds WiFi just to develop games, it will very likely be a pain.

Including me.

This reason especially, since Roblox’s moderation can be quite a in-the-gutter situation.

Notably, I am not entirely against the feature. It would be nice to have a backup of your places in the servers if your computer is prone to losing unsaved data. It’s just that making the experience of developing games more bottle-necked for people who don’t want that, as well as forcing the studio into a online-only app is what I am against. Some of us like working online, some of us like working offline, so just make the studio capable of going offline just fine, and make the automatic online backups an optional setting. You shouldn’t have to go straight online and make offline impossible, as it serves no benefit, and ruins many developers’ experiences.

18 Likes

Really can’t wait for the future of Roblox where all those frequent outages start causing real data loss and workflow destroying fumbling because developers are getting booted out of team create, which requires a constant connection to Roblox servers.

TC (and the Roblox platform) are not robust enough yet, and by nature TC will not be robust enough for anyone serious about development on this platform because cloud exclusive applications on a platform ruled by heavy moderation and frequent downtime is a recipe for disaster.

Uh oh! Roblox is down. Better save your game to a local file on your desktop (just in case) and then remember to reconcile it later when the problem is fixed (if you haven’t been booted out of Studio). Roblox does not run in a perfect world, outages will be a common problem for a long time, and the current state of TC is not good enough under these conditions. What about users with spotty internet? Studio works fine now for them, but in TC this will be a nightmare.

How are developers supposed to feel safe if they’re kicked out of Studio with no assurance their work was saved, or when they’re not being informed they’ve disconnected / desynced from the TC server and their work isn’t being saved, or any other random failure mode TC has that is poorly surfaced to the user when things go wrong?

I will not work in team create when I have no reason to. There is no benefit to me in my workflow. There are no upsides to it for me, there is only a long list of downsides, inconveniences, and hazards, which I’ve mentioned in a previous reply.

20 Likes

It’s actual purpose is to help developers create together, hence why it’s called Team Create. It is not meant to be used for solo work, and likewise has no benefits since you aren’t developing with anyone, except for backing up on the cloud, which actually can hinder developers who haven’t backed up their place on their computer, if that’s even going to be a feature by the time the studio goes online only. Once a server issue takes effect and disables access to Team Create places, that means ALL of your places are now stuck in limbo. It’s probably fine if the studio is saving on the cloud as an autosave, since at least you don’t get booted when losing internet connection, but automatic Team Create is unnecessary, as it’s only difference is that it adds the complication of needing internet if you don’t want to get booted.

5 Likes

I agree with this, I still want RBXL files to exist to backup, export, import, etc. I wouldn’t want these features to go away. Though I wouldn’t think that they would remove the feature.

3 Likes

All my teams use our internal, google drive-like system. It ensures data security, provides content ownership logs and automatically backs up everything.

Even if Roblox had all of these features, we still wouldn’t want most places we create to be saved to the cloud; which leaves us exposed to Roblox’s… creative moderation practices.

Forcing this feature on means in the short term I have to reach out to each team member and have them shut off this option; and in the long term worry about Roblox removing local file storage, or at least making them incredibly hard to use.

Roblox has been insistent on growth and “how can we appeal to larger studios”, and then they make sudden, unavoidable changes or force us into a new development workflow which is unthinkable for any large production. Imagine being included in a complete studio redesign on the release date of a game.

This change is symptomatic of a larger problem, which is that a broad range of developer feedback is not being considered at every level; and instead Roblox is catering to a specific set of use-cases. This practice, while probably not intentional, curtails the growth of the platform.

15 Likes

If roblox goes down, even right now it’s impossible to develop games cause all assets are stored on the cloud. Roblox Studio usually doesn’t even open during Roblox downtime.

2 Likes

Going deeper into the pick owner, will this allow it so if an original owner gets hacked or banned they can replace the new owner with their alt?

1 Like

From my POV I find that Roblox is aggressively chasing a vision of what they see the platform becoming in 5 years, and throwing caution to the wind with respect to the current developer population, their needs, and all of their expectations and assumptions. They’re trying to get there fast. We can probably blame brand strategy and visioneers at the highest level of the company for these sorts of problems, and if we go by this assumption, it’s more clear why our feedback never seems to go anywhere with respect to sweeping changes like this.

8 Likes

i absolutely do not like this. we dont need constant online requirements, what we need, as developers, is more offline capabilities. i dont want to have to rely on roblox’ faulty servers, or my own internet provider being 100% up

8 Likes