Better privacy for user outfits

As a Roblox user, I’m currently affected by privacy concerns with user outfits being publicly exposed to all players on Roblox through web apis, such as the ones displayed on the Avatar API.

While this isn’t as much of a concern for most, it is a bit unnerving that Roblox allows any user to scrape the information, such as the name and details, for an outfit I created which as a typical roblox user, seems to be completely private as there’s no way to view them outside of your personal customizing avatar page that only you can see.

Even though you obviously shouldn’t, you may enter personal details through the name, as it could help you identify the outfit. For example, on one of my older accounts when I was younger, I set the name of an outfit my cousin made for me by their name, because I expected it to be safe as only I could view it.

It’s sadly even more accessible with these “Outfit Viewer” games, where they allow you view the outfits of any user on Roblox. I’ve seen people go in and just casually search up random users on the website, including me, and snoop around. I’m lucky that I understand these aren’t so private now, but I can’t say the same for others who are unaware.

Anyone is currently able to view my friend’s outfits (@MyNameWasTakenWhaThe) - their inventory is currently private. I asked, and they didn’t care for this either.

It would be essential to many of us if these APIs still remain publicly accessible, but give us some way to hide them from the public, such as this privacy setting:

78 Likes

i mean I get what you mean, but I think its pretty harmless I dont think they should be able to do this but at the same time i dont really see what they could do with your avatar thats negative.

8 Likes

I really do agree here. It seems harmless

3 Likes

I really don’t see how this is a concern, people can’t do anything bad with an avatar. Concealing your avatar just doesn’t make sense… If you don’t want to be shown then don’t have an avatar? (No offense by any means)

4 Likes

This would be very appreciated if Roblox can add more Privacy Options such as this one.
Yes it doesn’t do harm but some people just don’t like their Outfits from being seen at all.

2 Likes

I personally wouldn’t even mind that outfits themselves can be viewed but the fact that their names are also viewable is majorly privacy invading for players.

2 Likes

At first, I thought these were actually private, as there’s no indication on the website they are public (and also correct me if I’m wrong, but there’s no way to access it from the site).

3 Likes

I would argue you are missing the point here - there is no indication given to users that their outfits are publicly accessible. This isn’t about the reasons why they might want their outfits kept private so much as it is about reality defying expectations.

6 Likes

Avatar games and outfit loaders on Roblox

Even if there is no indication given that outfits can be viewed in games that let you do so, it shouldn’t matter as long as you aren’t making anything inappropriate. They’re made to be seen by others most of the time, right?

If you’re using personal information to label things online, then you shouldn’t be doing that to begin with unless you’re on LinkedIn or some other business website.

1 Like

The problem here is that there’s no indication, as they appear to be completely private and only the owner of the account can view them. This isn’t the case with games that access our outfits without our permission. It isn’t clear these are super easy to access. This is a privacy-centered request.

Lots of users simply don’t want the entire world to see their saved outfits, and I primarily made this request since I’ve had people go through my outfits with these outfit viewer games without my permission, and sometimes they use it as a way to try and bully/mock users, which I’ve had happen to me. I have old and embarrassing outfits which I don’t want anyone but me to see.

Another reason for me personally is that it’s easier for developers or users with high valued inventories (and prefer to not have it super open) to be targets since lots of us have outfits with expensive items, even if we may not own them anymore. I don’t want people going through these outfits, it’s the same reason I may not want people snooping around in my inventory, whether it be high-valued assets or game assets I don’t want stolen.

It would be nice to see a larger breakdown of assets at this point, as some of us would like to trade, but keep our game assets private, and maybe we only want our friends to see our outfits, without making compromises.

6 Likes

Adding up something to this, it would also help if people who views your Profile Page on Roblox that they can’t see what clothing you are currently wearing (since it makes it easier for people to copy you).

There has been 2 times where people copied my avatar (including just today) and it has been bugging me.

3 Likes