Better R15 Clothing Templates

My friend started making clothing again after having worked with R6 a few years ago. I warned him
texture blending can be a little wonky now that R15 is a thing. I also noticed the lines on Roblox’s default templates aren’t necessarily separated by body parts. I ended up making these for him and thought I’d share them here, too!

Shirt & Pants Template

Blank Version

INFO
I’ve color coded each body part, darker depending on how much lower it is on the body part. UpperTorso is lighter than LowerTorso, RightUpperArm is lighter than RightLowerArm, etc.

The purple lines were added to indicate when the texture will start to blend. For example, if you wanted to make a short sleeve shirt, I’d probably end the design right above where the light purple line is. Same principle with shorts. If you don’t want it to blend down to the lower legs, don’t go past the purple lines!! Or you’ll run into this problem:
Borple Warning Line

I’ve never designed clothing myself but I hope this is useful for you guys!

Other Stuff
Clothing Template Rig
Shirt ID
Pants ID

59 Likes

Having both border lines is extremely helpful. Until now I’ve genuinely never known whether the default single line borders the part end or part beginning. Plus, this looks much fresher overall than the default one.

5 Likes

Oh, this is really nice! All of the existing guides for R16 clothing have been rather confusing, I make clothes a lot and even I barely understand some of the things they talk about here, especially when their own lines barely seem to make sense.

I’d love to see how this template holds up on other avatar body types. I know most of my customers don’t use Blocky/1.0.

UPDATE: Threw this onto my own avatar to see how it holds on Woman/3.0.
Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 3.28.30 AMScreen Shot 2021-11-27 at 3.28.46 AMScreen Shot 2021-11-27 at 3.28.54 AM
Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 3.29.20 AMScreen Shot 2021-11-27 at 3.29.29 AM

And it holds quite well!

What I’d like to see is design height specifics for the shoe. Especially on 3.0, lower shoe designs can get a tad lost. Here’s one of my most popular designs, for example:
Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 3.34.31 AM
Its lower details shouldn’t have gone so high, but due to the way 3.0 maps, the blue raises too high and looks awkward.
On Blocky, it maps well:
Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 3.35.59 AM

A template that would account for the odd mapping of foot details on 3.0 and other body type legs with curved portions would be great.

3 Likes

u must put right and left arm in shirt template instead of left and right leg

1 Like

It doesn’t matter- the templates for clothing uploads are identical.

2 Likes

Oh flip, I guess I’ve been a blocky user for so long, I assumed that the UV mapping would match 1.0 on the other body types. Thanks for testing this! :pray:

I’ll definitely update the thread later with adjusted versions for 2.0 and 3.0.

1 Like

OOF you’re right. I’ll fix that, too. :no_mouth:

Very quick updated versions for 3.0, also with a neckline location because they are one of the hardest things about clothes making.
The neckline can be pushed a little further back so 3.0 heads don’t hide the seam, but on a full 3.0 body, the neck will fit at the very far back of that dotted circle. It’s a little too much to the right, but it will look fine in-game and it’s a very itty bitty detail that will go overlooked 99% of the time.

On a full 3.0 body:
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.37.33 PM

On all but Woman/3.0, the curve mapping seems to be… normal. The blue line that designates where the 3.0 curved portion ends/begins should be treated as a “halfway point” for other body types. NOTE this only occurs on the FRONT portion of the leg.
On non-3.0 body types, the purple line should be used to dictate where the front portion of any shoe will end.

Here it is on all legs with curved “shoe” portions:

Woman / 3.0 (Note the mapping looks a little off, but with solid patterns- not lines like here- this will look normal. Perhaps raise the line a little bit so that it’s closer to the the middle of the bottom of the shoe and the purple line that marks the foot joint.)
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.22.47 PM

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.21.57 PM

Roblox Girl
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.22.09 PM

NeoClassic Male v2
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.22.21 PM

NeoClassic C v2
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.22.30 PM

Man
Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.22.58 PM

4 Likes

Thank you for this! Much appreciated!

1 Like

Thank you for this template! I have been looking all over for this! I will be using it from now on. :heart:

1 Like