[BLENDER 2.79] Proper way to UV-Unwrap your mesh and export w/ texture

Hello, my fellow Robloxians. This is a very short, simple, sweet tutorial for all you modeler’s who wants to get the proper feel of blender, UV-unwrapping practically takes your mesh and converts it into a plate for you to allow you to paint over it and or texture your mesh. UV-unwrapping does require the basic knowledge of blender but i’ll try to break it down as much as possible. Unwrapping your mesh saves you time from coloring your mesh in ROBLOX studio. Usually, modelers would import a solid mesh to ROBLOX studio and use the properties tab to apply different materials and colors. UV-unwrapping saves you the trouble of having to the such; although most of the times uploading solid meshes to roblox and using the properties tab to alter your mesh is fairly useful, Unwrapping saves you a lot of that time.

Before you create your mesh you’ll want to download this color palette or any color palette that best suits you, this allows you to alter the mesh colors in blender which is generically a “Texture” when imported to ROBLOX.

Slide your bottom bar to the left to create another open world, I’ve highlighted red below:

Now, you’ll want to click on the cube at the bottom left to open the UV/Image Editor
Now, you’ll want to open your palette which you have saved to your PC, you can open your palette by clicking the button, “Open” image
Now you have your palette open you’re ready to model:

Create your mesh
In this specific tutorial, I’m going to create a simple crate to unwrap and add color/texture to my mesh to import the mesh to ROBLOX with the mesh.
→ Create a cube
Tab to get into edit mode or click on the button below to switch from object into edit mode:
→ Select each face of the cube to inset individually, Tap “I” on your keyboard twice to inset each face, now you want to extrude the faces inwards, Tap, “E, S” to extrude each face individually.

→ Your basic cube has been created, now use your keyboard and tap “A” to select all of the mesh in edit mode. While you have your mesh selected hit “U” on your keyboard to finally unwrap your mesh.

Now, you’ve probably noticed this huge orange image on the left side of your screen where the palette was, DO NOT STRESS, IT’S OK! That’s completely normal that is the 2D Image that was pulled off your mesh and is ready to be texture and painted in blender to be imported to ROBLOX.

→ Hover your mouse over the left UV/Image Editor and use “S” to scale your 2D Orange Image down into any color of the palette.
Now, here’s the fun part! You can select any face you want and alter the color as you wish, now I have selected the extruded faces that I want to re-color to a much brighter color to give it the crate feel.

Once, you have your faces selected hover your mouse over the UV/Image Editor and hit “G” on your keyboard to grab your Unwrapped Image into another color on your color palette.

Now, to view your colors, select the “Texture” on your viewport shading on the right world.

Your crate is complete with textures!

Time to export:
→ You import your model/mesh like any other way, select File>Export>Wavefront (.obj)

Make sure you have selection only and include UV’s checked!
Once, it’s exported you’ll want to export your model on a new mesh that has a texture already on it to allow the texture to change on the mesh.
Congrats! You did it, you exported your mesh with texture and color on it! I hope this tutorial helped!
Here are some models I’ve created with the UV-unwrapping method showed above:
Happy mesh creating!
Here’s the color palette download once more:

41 Likes

Hello there!
I am pretty sure there’s a better way to UV-unwrap things in Blender. Besides, the guide it’s on an outdated version of the blender by far. Here is a video from the Blender community for the 2.8:

But you get a star for the effort of writing this!

8 Likes

Yeah, a lot of user’s who don’t transfer to 2.8 because they are very used to 2.7, here I am to support, Although; the same steps showed above is the same exact repetition in 2.8 rather interfaces are a little different, thanks for the hint buddy! :slight_smile:

I’ll make a 2.8 version later-on.

2 Likes

Holy, this a great resource and a very good tutorial on developers or new players who want to become developers to look forward to using meshes and creative things never made before! (Maybe the same item, but different design and texture)

Liked the tutorial, it’s good overall and the step by step on each procedure, Telamon is out! :+1:

1 Like

ok this is a pretty bad approach if u want your texture to have something other than a plain color. the correct way to go about this is using seams and creating a functional UV map.

the general rule is that on any 90 degree angle in ur model u should put a seam, which although is a very general overview of the subject is still 100% better than the method shown in the post.

If you’d want to get more accurate with texturing you’ll want straight UV’s, so you can use
(S, Y 0) or (S, X, 0) depending on the degree you want to rotate your UV for texturing… This is for complete beginners who wants to upload simple plain colors into ROBLOX Studio without complications. This isn’t a 2.8 tutorial, thanks for the hit tho bud! :slight_smile:

then u should fix ur title,it’s misleading, this isn’t the proper way to do it, its an easy way, far from being proper

it’s titled [Blender 2.79] Proper way to UV-Unwrap your mesh and export w/ texture] There’s nothing misleading about a title.

it seems our meanings of the word “proper” are different, good luck with your posts nevertheless

The post clearly goes through exactly what the title was meant to intend.
Unwrapping and Exporting.

I’ll give the post a like for your effort, however, while I am no UV unwrapping expert, I don’t think this is the proper way. It is fast and simple, but I doubt the method presented in this tutorial would work with that same cube if you had a much more complex texture. For example a texture with wood, cracks, dents, etc.

Also, while I admire your effort to support as many people as possible, making tutorials for outdated versions of Blender is probably not the best way to do things. It’s not even just “Blender 2.80” anymore, we are now on “Blender 2.82”. As hard as it is too believe it’s been almost 2 years since we’ve first seen Blender 2.80 out in alpha versions and we have been using Blender 2.80 stable versions for over a year now. No one should be sticking with outdated software, if anyone is reading this and is using anything below 2.80 right now, I’d consider switching. It’s very outdated now with outdated addons, support, and features. If you are pretty good at using Blender, it really shouldn’t take more then a day to a week to move over to 2.80. If you are a beginner who just got used to using Blender 2.79, you are only preventing your self from advancing and your only making it harder for your self to learn.

tl;dr At this point, no one should be using anything under Blender 2.80. The only exception may be studios who want to stay with their own stable version. But as an independent artist, I suggest to all those stuck using 2.79 to move on.

There’s no problem switching to 2.8 or 2.82, most modelers prefer to stay on a version they are very familiar with and comfortable with, 2.82 does of course provide more free will to model easier but this is a 2.79 tutorial to anyone who still uses it like myself, not that I don’t know how to use 2.82 because I previously made a tutorial on 2.82. Yes, I get it’s outdated but this is the simplest way to color your models in blender and importing it into ROBLOX with the colors. Anything “advanced” like wood; etc, you’d need to mark sharp the seams and make your UV-unwrapped mesh stable for you to texture paint, like @Xivaksa said above. I do emphasize on users who are continuing to use 2.79 to use the version that best suits them although, 2.82 is a much better experience.

Don’t get me wrong 2.82 is a thousand times better than 2.79 so feel free to download it with the link below: 2.82 — blender.org
This tutorial was made for users who want to color in blender with ease like the title states above.

2 Likes

In no way shape or form am I trying to downgrade the use of the new versions of blender, most people just find it easier to stick to what they are more used to, so I emphasize on that.

1 Like

what i said is the exact same in newer and older versions, blender versions have absolutely nothing to do with it, the only thing i had against it was the phrasing, if your method doesn’t work for common uses, aka texture painting, don’t call it the proper way and mislead some new dev that’s just starting out, again, the problem i have with ur post is the sue of the word “proper”. throw the word around like that and it loses meaning

1 Like

We have different means of the word “Proper” let’s keep it that way. :slight_smile:

Thanks for this, although it is simple good for low poly builds it does kinda help out in that aspect.
When I tried doing textures in blender I did the UV un-rap then texture paint or something. I eventually want to continue to do more but use realistic texture images. My texture paint was very dull in studio, so I still have more to learn

I use blender 2.7 something my laptop can’t run 2.8, plus I’m used to it.

You model/mesh takes an effect on your workspace ingame, so a “dull” texture would react to what’s in-game, such as:
The Model is taking an effect on the game’s mood.

Very helpful tutorial.
Thank you.

Actually, this tutorial works with Blender 2.79, 2.8x, 2.9x, and 3.0.0.

Edit: In fact, I always use this now except I sometimes change the steps a bit.

2 Likes

What if you already have a mesh and an image?