Blurry / compressed materials on the desktop web-launched client despite adequate hardware availability

Mipmapping does not compress textures close to the camera; it just samples less pixels the more distant an object is. Why do you think Roblox’s texture resolution limit is 1024x1024 and not whatever the resolutions are for these blurry textures? I am 100% sure this is/was (it stopped happening to me personally) a bug with how the engine determined how much memory was available, and how to use it.

2 Likes

This is not studio, studio does not have any of the rendering issues the client has. One of the only issues in terms of rendering studio has is the lack of streaming out far away parts.

1 Like

Minor correction: Roblox increased the limit to 2000x2000 a few years ago, but it only applies to assets uploaded through Studio, and not through the website (or atleast last time I checked that was the case, weird limitation)

1 Like

The uploading limit could actually be close to 4K as seen in the video frame announcement, but the engine downscales all textures down to a maximum size of 1024x1024

If this is an intended feature, could we please get some way to opt out of it? It ruins all the bar UI in my experience. Seems to only happen for ImageLabels with the ScaleType of Slice.

What the UI is supposed to look like:

What it looks like in-game for players on low-end devices:

Edit: I also just noticed that the materials appear to be lower quality for this player. The stone wall behind them is the Slate material.

1 Like

Its frustrating how Roblox are so negligent to bugs created as a result of unfinished and or untested features being put into the live version of Roblox. So many games look so much worse because of this “feature” and its frustrating how its not only on by default but that its so broken!

1 Like

Thanks for reviving this, everyone! I’ve also noticed this being an issue for some players reporting it, though I’ve never experienced it myself. I can tell how annoying it is and it seems pointless. Even if it might be to improve performance, what’s the point of even having an image if you can’t see it properly?
I have an additional bug report made (before I found this one) here: Images becoming pixelated and/or blurry

1 Like

That only happens when there’s not enough memory to run smoothly, so if your audience is mostly mobile users than a lot of them on devices that for example have 1-2GB of ram they might be crashing, completely unable to play your game…

This is (as everyone keeps saying) completely untrue. While that may be the intentional behaviour, its certainly not the actual behaviour. It always compresses textures far below the user’s memory capacity.
My computer has 16gb of RAM, why would 1gb of RAM usage necessitate texture compression? Simple answer, it doesn’t.

2 Likes

I was specifically replying to the person saying that occurs on low end devices, when there is enough specs it should definitely not be happening but they described how it occured on a low end device which is intended as low end devices often have low memory specs. On your setup it is definitely not intended though.

1 Like

Make sure there’s no LODs playing any shenanigans!

That isn’t what’s happening, Roblox is downsampling textures in a situation not intended, as it’s only supposed to downsample when there’s low memory/memory pressure

3 Likes

What’s your PC specs if you don’t mind me asking? If you want to DM them preferably, whatever makes your security a priority Oh kayy I re-read the specs you posted, what are your graphics settings in the NVIDIA control panel? @BritishTrainspotting Sorry for editing twice ima vereh tired wooh

I’m not the OP (@BritishTrainspotting) so it would be better to ask them

1 Like

Likely related (second image is how it is expected to appear):

1 Like

It may be related too

How it renders:

How its supposed to look like:

1 Like

Another image from the same game I posted above.

OP said this was untrue. Though, even if it is the case, the developer should have control over how this behavior functions.

To me it looks like the lower-resolution textures that are loaded before the full-resolution textures are all loaded, except its clearly not unloading the lower-res texture or maintaing the high-res one.

Having the same issue aswell, happens randomly and even sometimes on the roblox logo thats in the corner and other default roblox images