Boatbomber - Programmer's Portfolio

Banner and vector art done by me

PSA: There are scammers who pretend to be me to be hired under false pretenses so they can steal your game files and your money. Always double check who you’re really speaking to.

How to tell it's me:

The most common avenue these scammers use is Discord. My real Discord account is boatbomber#0001 (Note the b is lowercase!) and the user ID is 235468252883451904.
I have my social medias verifiably linked to my account, which the scammers cannot do as far as I know.

If you’re ever unsure, DM me here!

About Me

Hi there! I’m Zack, aka boatbomber, an 18 year old developer from New York City!
I taught myself how to program when I was 12 years old, and I’ve been developing on Roblox ever since.
I was the youngest Software Engineering intern at Roblox in Summer 2020, earned a 2019 Bloxy Award nomination from Roblox, won Best in Visual Art in RDC 2020’s Gamejam, held the title of Devforum Top Contributor, and I’m an invited member of the beta Plugin Marketplace as well as an official Event Organizer for Roblox!

Showcase

After half a decade on this platform, I’ve made a lot of stuff!

Games

Lua Learning
Lua Learning is a community-driven platform (in a Roblox game) created and designed to interactively teach users how to program in Lua, all for free! This game is made entirely by me, and features loads of impressive tech like an in-game IDE, markdown rendering, community tutorial submission, user review systems, and much much more. It has been #1 Top Rated on PC as well as featured on the Learn & Explore sort!

RB Battles 2020 Event
I was brought on the team as a gameplay and systems engineer. I made the parkour system for the game, some backend systems, a few of the minigames, and most of the final battle live event. I wrote the AI NPCs that the users competed against in the finale.

agn●sia
Made in just 24 hours for the RDC 2020 Gamejam, my team “Titanic in a Bottle” created a sensory experience of a puzzle platformer. We won the ‘Excellence in Visual Art’ award! Highly critically acclaimed, with glowingly positive reviews from star YouTubers. One such review, calling agn●sia a masterpiece, reached #25 on YouTube Trending for Gaming. You can watch our presentation here as it goes over the ingenious mechanics, progressive level design, and breathtaking environment.

Swing
A wacky fun physics game I made in a week as a challenge. This game was nominated by Roblox for the Quirkiest Game in the 2019 Bloxy Awards!

Plugins

InCommand
I collaborated with Elttob to create a plugin that serves as a far superior alternative to the command bar- offering multiline editing with syntax highlighting, saving the code, and running as server or client in APS mode.

Benchmarker
A powerful tool to help you test and compare performance of functions with graphs, percentiles, and more! Used by top engineers and developers, this power user tool is very valuable in optimizing your game.

Code Outline
The first ever code outline in Roblox Studio, designed to aid programmers who use the Studio script editor. View and navigate your code’s functions and variables at a glance.

Code Minimap
The first ever code minimap in Roblox Studio, designed to aid programmers who use the Studio script editor. View and navigate your code’s structure, TODOs, and errors at a glance.

RepoToRoblox
An easy-to-use tool that imports the source of entire GitHub repositories into your workspace.

Collaborative Notes Plugin
The Roblox TeamCreate chat window is filtered so poorly that it is utterly useless, so I found an interesting grey area in policy to write a plugin that uses cool networking tricks to have something that totally “isn’t” a replacement chat. :wink:

Open Source Projects

"Dual Render" Scope System
This is featured on the official Roblox Blog, as well as the verified Twitter!
It was pretty revolutionary when I first made it, as ViewportFrames had only been released very recently.

Screen Distortion Rain
This was also pretty impressive when I first made it, as the Glass material had only been released very recently. I remastered it much later, and that’s what you’ll find in the thread.

Camera System
Another cool ViewportFrame project. This one helped a lot of people easily implement security cameras, stadium jumbotrons, and more.

Smooth Scroll
An invaluable module that overrides the janky default behavior of Roblox ScrollingFrames to achieve smooth scrolling.

Image Clipping Module
A clever trick using ViewportFrames to crop images with arbitrary masks during runtime, and have it in a GuiObject.
This is featured by the Developer Relations verified Twitter account!

ViewportFrame Replay Module
A powerful module to record & replay moments in your game for killcams, recaps, or anything else you desire.

Graph Module
A handy module that draws a graph of the data you give it, handling all the complicated math and state management for you.

GridCreator
A grid module that supports 3 render methods to allow you to choose a tradeoff, and utilizes proxies to detect changes and handle all the backend automatically.

BoatTween
A customizable and versatile alternative to Roblox’s TweenService, with over 32 EasingStyles.

3D Sound System
Using an EqualizerSoundEffect and some math, I wrote a module that gives proper 3D sound with frequency dampening at realistic angles.

HashLib
Ported and optimized a large library of cryptographic hashing algorithms for RbxLua. It is used by the official GameAnalytics Roblox SDK! Very useful for security, and I wrote another module in that thread that uses HashLib to create a secure and customizable login system.

Wind Shake
High performance wind effect for leaves and foliage. Using octrees and bulk CFrame sets, this module ran 77,750+ leaves at 400+ FPS. Granular controls and neat APIs make this a great tool for bringing a world to life.

TextBox Plus
A module to give TextBoxes more functionality, such as undo and redo support.

Audio Visualizer Bars
A module that handles all the heavy lifting and maths for audio visualization. With just a gui, a sound, and this module, you can make audio visualizers of various LoDs for your game’s interface.

Misc Scripts & Modules
Not all of my projects are large enough to have an entire thread of their own, so I compiled a few into this one thread.

ViewportFrame Handler
A powerful module to handle ViewportFrame environments. Features include setting the FPS of individual objects, rendering humanoids and players, and much more.

Bounds Constrained Highlighter
A module to highlight specified part when withing set bounds. Useful for digital threat optics or detection equipment.

Misc

Things I made for fun

Realtime interactive fluid dynamics simulation in Roblox, with multiplayer support.

I think I was the first one to do this, but I don’t know that for sure. All the ones before mine that I could find were either prebaked animations or just procedural waves with no actual interactions or simulation.

Raw realtime simulation testing:
Realtime Fluid Dynamics Simulation on Roblox - YouTube

Multiplayer pool integration, stress tested by Roblox engineers, admins, interns, and star youtubers. :sunglasses:
Stress Testing realtime Fluid Dynamics with Roblox Admins! - YouTube

Decrepit train station environment

I wanted to learn environment design, so my friend thisfall lent me some meshes and textures to get me started and I put together a pretty cool place. (Done in Voxel lighting, shadows are decals done by hand)

Availability

I am currently unavailable for commissions, unless they’re extremely small. I have college and a few projects of my own, so my hands are full.

Payment

Prices are negotiable, I accept either hourly pay or per asset. My preferred payment method is PayPal or Group Payouts, although I have Premium and can create assets for you to pay through if necessary.

Donations

A lot of my work is done free and/or open source. That’s wonderful, and we all benefit, but it’s very difficult for me to manage it without funding.

I have a Patreon, a BuyMeACoffee, and a PayPal for those of you who want to support me!
Patreon: boatbomber is creating projects for the community | Patreon
BuyMeACoffee: boatbomberrblx is creating open source libraries and tools!
PayPal: https://www.paypal.me/boatbomberrblx

Contact

You can contact me here on the Developer Forum or via Twitter or via Discord @ boatbomber#0001, whichever you prefer! Please read my Availablity section before sending me requests. If I’m not open, you’re just wasting your own time.

Last updated Feb 11th 2021

143 Likes

This man creates the most original creations that you have never seen before because they are so original and you have never seen them before. Such a talent-case portfolio :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

boatbomber = One of the best scripters and epic developers you can find on the ROBLOX Platform.

And here are some questions, @boatbomber:

1. How much did it take you to learn Roblox Lua?
  2. How efficient do you think you are?
  3. Do you accept % as payment?
3 Likes

1. How much did it take you to learn Roblox Lua?

I’ve been doing this for 5 years so far. I’d say I was decent after year 2, and good after year 4. I’m probably holding myself to a high standard though, most people said I was good earlier than that.

1. How efficient do you think you are?

I think I’m pretty efficient. Not sure if you mean my code’s efficiency or my workflow.

1. Do you accept % as payment?

Not alone. However, it can be negotiated to add a % in order to lower my up front price. I don’t take financial risks on commissions.

7 Likes

Just sent a friend request! I would love to have you on my team!

Hello there!

Was wondering if you’re hireable for a Military Group?

Do you accept PayPal as the payment?

We currently need a gun system and will provide you with the assets you will need.

Your questions are answered if you just read the post before replying.

Question:

Answer:

Question:

Answer:

1 Like

Wow, I’ve stumbled upon your works before.
Very impressive work!

I know you don’t take commissions currently, but if you ever fancy working together please get in touch via PM!
I have a very interesting project and think you’d be a great addition to our team :slight_smile:

-Adam

5 Likes

Greetings, I am JaymarThePG or Jay for short, me and my dev team are currently in need of a and experience scripter (I believe you are) and is capable of coding the following:

-Advanced Gun System

-NPC’s

-Shop system

-Skins System

-Crate opening system-

-VIP System

-Much More

I have listed the basic needs above on what is required for us to hire you in our development team. If you cannot complete all the needs listed, please let me know the ones you desire to do.

I have added you on Discord at JaymarThePG#9999

My commissions are not open at this time.

Ah, alright thanks for taking the time to read it!

I have went on to Lua Learning multiple times when the forum or YouTube had nothing to offer and in most cases I found what I was looking for! It definitely deserves more players!

5 Likes

Hello @boatbomber,

I’ve sent you a DM on the forum. I’m interested in a small job.

Thanks!

@boatbomber I have an extremely small commission. Sent a request via Discord.

Hi there! I sent a friend request on discord. Ineedpotatodev#6477

Hello! I am very interested in hiring you for a small commission (not big since I understand you are quite busy) with very good payment. I have sent you a request on discord: TNFhacks#8346

Hello there, are you still for hire? I nearly got fooled by the impersonator yesterday giving 40,000.

1 Like

Hello sent a friend request on Discord, will talk to you there user is Wertyhappy27#0534, getting off now, so ill message you if you accept the request and respond, should be something quick

Hello im extremely interested, I have sent you a friend request: strangertingz#1777

Hello there, I am stunned by everything.
Are you currently open for a small range of commissions? If so, I have sent you a friend request on discord: TwixerThunder#8537.