Can I complain about the flagging system here?

I’m tired of having my perfectly relevant and respectful posts get flagged. I’m even more tired of flagging obvious off-topic posts and having nothing done about them.

I don’t know how flagging works, but it’s frustrating. Can anything be done about it?

7 Likes

Hi, it happened to me heaps of times. My post got flagged on another post where I gave an answer then asked if it answered his question? They flagged the post of me asking if that answered his question as spam.

2 Likes

I mean, I asked that because if he had of said no and why it didn’t I would of provided another answer/help.

It may be helpful to show some examples of the content that is being flagged.

1 Like

I have seen a few developers perfectly on-topic posts get flagged here-and-there too besides me. It doesn’t happen too commonly but just enough to be annoying.

1 Like

A lot of the flags are pretty subjective based on how one person takes the post. Some people don’t even read the thread and just go through after reading the first post and be like Oh this person said “xyz” it’s not even on topic clicks flag even though if they had read your other posts they would’ve totally gotten it.

Generally, not putting a title to it, I feel their are some people out there that lacks experience cough cough and think flagging will get them more experience.

Sometimes it’s really annoying, and don’t get me started if you get on someone’s bad side. At the general state of things if your dev group has more than 8 members you can freely censor and suspend whoever you want as if you had administrator tools.

And there’s not even a place to complain about it, or talk to an actual admin about it. Came across a post where someone replied, and his posts were on topic, he got suspended because someone flagged every single one of his posts.

It’s disappointing and I find the best way to deal with it is to just close the tab, walk away from the computer, and move on.

6 Likes

Can we get automatically suspended for flags? I figured only moderators could do that…

The dude had about 5 posts on a thread, all greyed out from being flagged. I was trying to reach out to him to see if he was as annoyed at it as I was. Said his account was suspended. Hard to believe it wasn’t automatic seeing as though he was being respectful and on topic.

4 Likes

:laughing:

I’ve seen lots of post like “Cool, thanks man!” left up with no flags, while other seemingly relevant posts got taken down. I think it’s entirely up to the people viewing your post, sometimes flagging is seen as frivolous, and other times helpful.

Just make the best posts you can, and hope they don’t get flagged. I don’t think there’s much anyone can do about this :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I mean thanking people is one thing but there are people completely derailing threads in the public section right now and I feel like I’m the only person who cares. It’s just something that’s been bothering me whenever I get on here

4 Likes

I understand. Perhaps try sending a TC or LTC a quick message if things get too out of hand?

Or try sending the people in question a contructive feedback on their post. I think you can do that by going Flag User > Message this user about their post.

It would take some extra time but it would really help them to not keep doing it, maybe they are new and don’t know the rules too well.

I’m at the 90% confidence any TC or LTC would refer you directly to the flag system.

Who are you referring to? There’s an above average chance that they were suspended for a good reason.

2 Likes

well its not completely gone, rather just hidden, and if its a false flag, those people get in trouble

There are other threads that already tackle this topic. You will find out everything you need to know there:

This doesn’t happen. Suspensions are not automatic as far as I’m aware, and always happen for extremely good reasons that are not always immediately visible (hidden threads / replies are totally hidden).

Users who abuse the system in this way will be found. Bad flags can also be cleared by staff who end up reviewing them. If you disagree with a flag, you can message dev engagement on the forum.

2 Likes

If you don’t understand why your post was flagged and isn’t being made visible again after a few days / is removed, please follow up with @DevEngagementTeam to clarify why they agreed to the flag.

Always ask them in private when confused about moderation.

Seems hypothetical. If you see this happening just bring it up with moderation, but I frequent this forum and I do not see this kind of behavior.

There is, you haven’t looked hard enough. Have a look through the rules:

You can message @DevEngagementTeam any time if you see anything weird happening related to moderation.

Suspensions aren’t automatic. Please don’t spread rumors about forum moderation as that is not constructive.

8 Likes

Woah, Esme Squalor‘s post got deleted!?

1 Like

This post does not contribute to the overall discussion on the thread. I 100% agree with it being flagged.

1 Like

Your post was flagged for a legitimate reason, it was spam. You should keep your replies in as little posts as possible. You could’ve attached that message below your response to the thread, the same way you could attach your second response to this thread to your first.

Not a wise idea to complain about a system without being able to follow it first.

1 Like