Cannot disable default teleport failed notification

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to make my own interface to inform the player of a failed teleport initialisation and provide information my own way. The engine already provides TeleportInitFailed but it can’t be used to its best, fullest extent because the default failed notification shows up which can be actively harmful (for more details, see Motivation below).

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I could write my own logic to handle a teleport that failed to start that keeps good UX design in mind and interferes minimally with the player or prevents them from getting the wrong impression about what the backend is attempting to do to rectify a failed teleport issue.

Motivation

TeleportInitFailed already works well to handle underlying failed teleport start logic (e.g. disabling “teleport in progress” UIs and reenabling menus, retrying teleports) but it introduces another interface that the user has to click through and may not even be inclined to do so.

It is common for developers to disclaim that their players should rejoin if a teleport fails and it’s most likely an ingrained player behaviour because of how often it’s warned by developers that players should rejoin if their teleports do not work. We cannot make use of TeleportInitFailed to instead immediately tell the player “hold on, something went wrong, we’re trying to get you back on track” and do exactly that. Some developers may already have teleport retry logic that’s moot if the player rejoins immediately after a failed teleport or it may even hurt retention if the user never rejoins due to that interruption.

There’s no drawback to allowing the developer to opt-out of default teleport failed notifications as the ones who opt-out most likely know what they’re doing to opt-out in the first place. Keep in mind we’re already capable of a similar feat: check out streaming pause notification customisation.

35 Likes