Changes to Developer Forum trust level names

This was a very needed change; props to the team for once again listening to the community!

4 Likes

Would asking people from the PA team to review their posts also result in demotion? I know that some full members still message them from time to time for reviews.

3 Likes

Then I will introduce you to it, very often in the forum suggestions area people are asking for more restrictions on New Members or private spaces (for example Help) for full members. It also makes several of us feel terrible that we are not even allowed to participate in the discussion forum. We are left out so much that we can’t even access the lounge to talk.

7 Likes

There is currently no process in place for demoting anyone, so asking for posts to be reviewed should be just fine.

10 Likes

Not really. Typically if you’re promoted you get a specific message which states “You’ve been promoted to…”, which isn’t sent out at all, this post was made, and if they really deserved member they’d be active enough to see this announcement.

4 Likes

In my opinion, the previous members that got auto-promoted actually had to work hard via solutions and constant activity, typically more than a month.

5 Likes

The role names make more sense now, and I can understand why the change was desired. Nothing too major, but a good change all in all. :+1:

2 Likes

If the goal was to decrease the amount of confusion, would not just using descriptive names of worked a lot better?
Trust Level 0 - replaces Visitor
Trust Level 1 - replaces New member
Trust Level 2 - replaces Member
Its infinity expandable (dont have to think of creative names if you need a new rank) and about as connotation free as you can get.

5 Likes

I didn’t notice that change too. I was like “Wait. Did that just happened?” It was confusing at first and It make sense after I read this post. Overall, it was great.

3 Likes

They did mention this in the post

4 Likes

I still feel the role names are odd, I’ve been a developer on Roblox since 2008, before this site existed I was a regular on the Roblox Forums. I held a top page game for a good time (even won a hat from the Worlds of Wood contest back when materials first came out). I consistently use the Dev Forums from the moment I was finally let in through the automated process because my applications never got a response.

That pretty well defines someone who is a “Regular” but because I don’t post enough (or don’t post in areas that need to use the approval process?) I’m at the “Member” rank. Now “New Member” certainly didn’t clearly communicate the role, but “Member” vs “Regular” doesn’t seem to in my case either, and I can only imagine a lot of others.

Either way, I think this name change is a step in the right direction. I don’t feel it makes the distinction clear, but I do feel it makes it more clear than it was previously.

5 Likes

You mean when they get promoted? I mean sure, but some people may not be aware of that.

Sometimes people are not on the devforum for a day or two because they got busy, then they log back on the devforum and falsely believe they have been upranked.

1 Like

The trust level names are not meant to be an indicator of how long you’ve been on Roblox or anything to do with the old forums. It’s also not to do with whether you have a top page game or not.

The consistent use of the devforum since you’ve received the new member trust level is all that would count, and given that “consistently” is a little bit subjective it may just be that you don’t meet the criteria for “Regular”, or that they just haven’t automated that side of it yet.

3 Likes

I know, yet they failed to explain how these new names actually achieve the goals.

I would say descriptive names are equally generic and easier to understand (even if you don’t know exactly what it means its clear trust level 1 > trust level 0. Good luck getting a average joe to figure out the difference between regular and member). As they are numeric, they have no connotations, and there is no reason to change them as you can just add more numbers if you need more roles.

These new names are certainly a improvement (especially in terms of demotions), but they still seem rather clunky.

Absolutely, the promotion requirements either need to be nerfed or clarified somewhere on the site. People like you deserve to be promoted to regular because as you said “I consistently use the Dev Forums from the moment I was finally let in through the automated process because my applications never got a response.” The name change of the ranks just seems to be a band-aid solution to these problems that will only partially solve the issue.

2 Likes

If only we had documentation on this

17 Likes

I do like this update more and feel that these are better role names indeed. The one thing though is I don’t care what role I am or anything, the only thing that matters to me and this should to everyone else is that you are trusted and not judged by your role. The only thing that matters is what you give to the community, I plan to give the best I can to the community because of what it has done for me. I love how the devforum and the community keeps on improving too.

3 Likes

I presume you are being sarcastic. If you are not, I apologize.

Documentation helps, but it is a bandaid, not a solution. What percentage of devs are going to read this post? What percentage of first time forum users (visitors and non members) are going to bother reading the rank guide? The entire purpose of this is to make it less confusing. At best, now its just as confusing with a slight improvement to demotion logic.

People who are not willing to put in the effort to (at least) skim an important information post will always stay ignorant of the meaning of the trust levels and there’s nothing that can be done about that. We require a minimum amount of reading effort for understanding the developer forum. If a user can’t do that then they don’t fit in here.

5 Likes

Then they should at least make it easier to find, although it is described in How to level up on the Roblox Developer Forum which is a pinned post. The average Joe may think “Ehh, I don’t want to uprank. I just want to see what the roles mean.” So they may not click on it.