Changes to the Games Sort Order

It’s really easy to promote your game, with ads or sponsors. You should work for people to get the knowledge and money, for the ads, before trying to make one of your own games.

1 Like

So as of writing this Featured is on top with Popular Near You below. Featuring games on the very top is not a very good idea, especially as there is only a few featured games. I think this top spot could be replaced with a much needed revamped Recommended section. This section has for years had many low quality and clickbait games that do not actually fit the user at all. This is not a new problem, but definitely needs to be fixed. Most other platforms such as YouTube today have recommendations for the user. I feel like Roblox needs this badly, I find it hard to find fun games. Roblox should develop a new recommendation algorithm and put that on the top of the page, and a way to do this would be finding games the user likes or plays a lot, finding games that are played by the other players of the first game and matching them up.

2 Likes

This is pretty much what Featured achieves already

I strongly disagree with the bias argument.

Featured sort is an application based hand curated list of the top 250 games put together by a team of people. It’s not one single person saying yes or no for any of them.

2 Likes

I think that people playing the game is a higher indicator of quality than some admin over at Roblox HQ picking them for everyone.

This seems like an interesting change. I do have to agree with Fruitium, though, in the sense that the Featured sort has only 20 games on it. Maybe Top Rated or Top Earning could be at the top, with Featured being right below it for easy access?

The “Up-And-Coming” section would be a bit more lose and have more games than Featured. Featured are held to really high standards but “Up-And-Coming” would have loser (but still semi-strict) standards. For instance, your game can be paid access to be on “Up-And-Coming”. Top Rated is what I believe is the most similar to “Up-And-Coming”.

1 Like

What is the difference between recommended and featured now?

I sorta like this update, as it allows smaller, less known developers to have a chance to get into the front page.
Now, here’s some changes that I want:

This a screenshot of the Games Sort Order as of 2019-04-02T01:43:00Z
Here are some changes that I made using paint(dot)net:

1. Top Earning stays at the bottom.
  2. Rthro is moved down, along with Popular Near You and Top Rated.
  3. Recommend, Popular, and Because You Liked (game) is moved higher.

Feel free to suggest any changes I should make to my proposed changes.

2 Likes

Recommended is automatic. Featured is hand curated.

Sorry, what about this change let’s less known developers to get recognized?

The featured sort is only pulled from the top 250 games.

The featured section.
Developers can use the Official Featured Sort Nomination Survey to get their small games into the games page.

As I said in my edited reply above, the featured sort only pulls from the top 250 games. I would consider these already pretty well known.

1 Like

Honestly I find Popular to be more relevant. I mean, games are popular because people want to play them. Assuming a new player joins Roblox, it’s likely they want to play the same games that other people want to play. Not sure why ‘Featured’ would be favored over that. I’m assuming that a new player will most likely click games in the first row before others. For retention is it not best for a new player to be playing games that he most likely wants to be playing?

12 Likes

Oh…
I think there should be a section dedicated to small games that are made by smaller developers.

2 Likes

I agree. Though I think featured should be up near the top, popular should stay at the top. New players don’t want to play a game no one is playing, and not only does the popular section show the games that most people favour, but it shows that Roblox is a very populated and social game.

Right when a player creates their Roblox account, they want to jump into one of the games. They shouldn’t have to scroll through and see which one is best, as they don’t know yet. They should just see what everyone else is doing first, and adapt from there.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t that be easily abusable? Would it work like featured where a team picks through applications, or would it be a bot. If it would work like featured, then it would be the featured section. If it were a bot, then it would be abused by scammers. How would the bot determine a high quality game?

i really hope there’ll be a change to the featured sort; at the moment i’ve only seen it promote already popular games and quick simulators?
I’d like to see less promotion of popular well-worn games, and more promotion of new fresh titles

i propose some sort of ban on larger games based off their recent stats -
if a game manages a large player base without being featured, why put it on there?

1 Like

Featured sort is ONLY larger games at the moment. It’s apparently a new/temporary thing that higher ups wanted implemented.

1 Like

Yes, however, there are some requirements in order to have a small game be on the smaller games section.

1. At least 1,000 visits (could be abused)
  2. 75% or higher like/dislike ratio (could be abused)
  3. After a game has passed these requirements, the Quality Assurance Team will scrutinize the game if it doesn’t violate the Terms of Use and the Roblox Community Rules.

Feel free to suggest what I should change in the requirements.

3 Likes