Changes to the Games Sort Order

oh i didn’t know that, thanks - thought they only went by their requirements -
even more disappointed they’d put that at the top then

I don’t mind this. But I think making “Popular Near You” first and “Featured” second would be better.

2 Likes

From developers point of view, I think this is not a good Idea. So basically if new game is not featured, then it can’t get on front page(only featured will be front page, no players will mind to scroll down), so they can’t get popular. How is this good Idea?

5 Likes

A very interesting change I must say

I believe you forgot to mention that it also affected the Catalog page; the ordering seems to be off using the Relevance sort type

2 Likes

This might inhibit popular games to be consistent with their concurrent players, which will cause sudden popular games to die faster. It’s probably best to keep the popular tab at the top, but everything else is fine. Also, why is the games page totally different when you’re logged out? Like there’s genre sorts in the games page with no login.

7 Likes

We didn’t apply Super Power Training Simulator for Feature sort what’s going on?

Why aren’t we ever told of what’s gonna happen before hand? this can negatively impact us!

I didn’t mind the changes to Top Earning but it’s unfair to move Popular from it’s rightful spot, the top of the page.

Us Developers work hard towards pushing our games to Front page by getting in the Popular tab (or other tabs) and it has been that way for a long time.

“Recommend” and “Because you like” most of the time shows me either trash games or already Popular games so it’s pretty useless.

Seems like Roblox is trying to copy App Store

My opinion is the sort should be;
  • Popular
  • Top Rated
  • Featured
  • Top Earning
  • Popular Near You
  • Rthro
  • Recommend
  • Because You like

But the best option is to let Users select how they see the sort themselves that way everyone is happy.

If you want to help small Devs then don’t screw up the system there are better ways.

10 Likes

Why??? Just, why?

Why does it have to be this way?

I just checked the games’ page and it is… weird. I get that you want to feature smaller devs, but the previous layout was better.

The “Popular Near You” sort is not that big of a difference from the Popular sort in some countries. Other than for analytics and data, I don’t think it should even exist or even put in the top. Popular is WAY more important imo. Rthro sort is also… let’s just say not that important to be at the top.

I just don’t like this change- sorry if I offended anyone.

6 Likes

I am going to be completely honest, I don’t like this update. I fell that the popular category should be at the top. Developers work hard to get their games onto that sort and they deserve to be recognised by everyone. For some top developers it is like a reward to get onto the top spot or even on the front page on the popular category. This creates competition between developers and that means they are more inclined to make good updates to their games. This update isn’t rewarding the top developers that much.

I fell that the popular near you category should be removed as it has almost the exact same games in as the popular category. This means their is two categories saying the same thing. I have never used this category nor have I used the Rthro category. The other thing is why is the Rthro category above the Popular category?

13 Likes

Firstly, I disagree with this change. Others have already made really good points regarding why the Popular sort should be at the top and I agree with them, so I won’t repeat them. With that being said however:

I like the Featured sort being near the top of the game sorts. I think it would be a good way to help newer/up-and-coming games get more popular which would be nice… except from my point of view the games pulled from it tend to be already well-known/popular. I can get why more popular games are being pushed for it, but I really think the sort should be used for more of these newer games that could use a little push to get more popular like it was earlier in 2018. If that isn’t going to happen, then I definitely support TheAmazeman’s idea of a new sort with the top 250-300 games in it.

Issues with Popular and Featured aside, Rthro should definitely be moved down. I just find it odd that it’s above Popular. I don’t really mind where Recommended, Because You Liked and Top Earning are. I believe it would be better if Popular is moved back to the top sort, as other than Popular being too low the sort order looks decent to me. Side note, but did they remove the Popular Near You sort? It doesn’t appear for me.

3 Likes

My main issue with this update is, that all devs want, is their game to have more and most players.

Before this update this was easily achievable by slowly climbing to the top of the Popular Sort, because it was at the top and new players wouldn’t have to scroll down to see your game.

Hopefully featured game sort will change and become more oriented for lifting up new small player count games, which is good, but also bad and I will explain why.

Now with this update, players will have to scroll down, Which they will not , because most of them want to play fast and quickly and are not looking to research Roblox platform for good games, so they will more likely play featured games.

Now what happens after, if featured game becomes popoular it will be moved to the popular sort, and disappear from Featured sort, causing decline in player count, because players will not scroll down, and this loop will go forever resulting in no games being constantly popular(which is the most important thing for Developers, stability). Maybe I’m missing something here, but I know solution:
Make popular at least 2nd on front page

Also, I don’t think Top earning doesn’t deserve player attention at all, it’s just it doesn’t affect them at all. It’s only for statistics between devs and should definitely be removed from the front page.

2 Likes

What do you guys define as ‘best content’? I think it is important to cover this topic, because I have felt that it is hard to find desired content at times. By this, I mean that the Games page offers little to assist the user in finding games popular under specific parameters.

Typically, when I go to the Games page I already have a type of game in mind that I am looking for. Sometimes, I may go there just to browse the most popular list or to see how many hundred spots my game is from #1, :joy: but the majority of the time I want to look for something specific; zombies, shooter, simulator, role-play, etc.

At this point, the player could be on mobile, Xbox, virtual reality, PC, and more. When I play mobile, I find it difficult to find games that are supported and actually playable using two fingers and a screen. Most developers don’t put much effort into mobile control schemes, and I think it would be really neat to see games recommended on each device. Games like PUBG and Fortnite have more players on mobile than any other device, and Roblox could be no exception to this coming soon. In my opinion, allowing popular lists specific to each device would severely boost player counts on each one. I know from experience that games I have put equal effort into on all platforms have had 90%+ PC players even though the game had good ‘feel’ on every device and was labeled as such.

I have also found it hard to find games of the genre I am interested in. I know in the past we had a form of this, but most developers were abusing the option to pick the genre as a means to get more users to see their game. There are workarounds to this, and I think it worth considering to bring genres back.

What if the players could choose what genre they thought the game fit when they Liked/Favorited it? Then, there could be genres to filter from based on what the majority of the players that liked the game thought, as opposed to just the developer who is biased to what they intended the game to be. Another possibility I see, could be to allow a developer or player to pick only 1 genre out of a small handful of generic types; action/combat, comedy/humor, horror, fantasy, role-playing, simulator/tycoon, and community/hangout.This way they would HAVE to pick wisely, because I highly doubt a shooter game developer would want their game to be mislabeled as comedy, horror, fantasy, or hangout and the same goes for other game types.

Please, consider refining the Games page even more to allow the players of Roblox to find games they desire, and thus to benefit all developers AND Roblox due to a decisive increase in player counts on every device and in every game genre. I strongly believe that most users are not getting the most out of their experience on Roblox, and not seeing the games that may keep them around for years to come!

3 Likes

This is just my opinion about how this change is negatively affecting the user experience.

Let’s get started by saying that I believe that this change is very unhealthy for the new and current popular games.

Usually, when games get popular it’s because players likes them(really, you don’t need rocket science to understand this).

So why do you have to put 20 hand picked games as the primary sort when you know that those games may potentially not appeal to the community?

There isn’t any issue with “game discoverability”, or at least, by my experience, the platform already offers solutions to compensate for it(sponsors and advertisments) and they’re far more than enough.
Even if you don’t use these tools, games that are very fun and highly appealing will eventually get popular, however now that the popular sort is moved down, people will have a harder time to find those games and especially the casual players as they may never find out about them.

I really struggle to understand this change and I believe there are far way much better alternatives; Just to name a few examples:

1. Adding a filter option which users can freely use for their demands.
  2. Make game genre’s actually relevant in the game discoverability.
  3. Adding more game sorts.

There are plenty more alternatives, most likely far much better than the ones I listed previously, however the Popular sort, in my opinion, MUST STAY as the top sort as it gives a wide range of game variety that people may potentially enjoy.

I hope this change will be reverted back because honestly, I’m very worried that this may be negatively affecting the whole platform.

8 Likes

Sorry to say, this update is bad. I think I remember Roblox testing this before and I didnt like it mainly because the Popular games section has been shifted right down to the bottom.

This update also has made Sponsored Advertisements to be less common as you can only see sponsored games on only a few categories which most are at the bottom. This will de-value sponsored advertisements and make it harder for newer devs to gain traffic.

If Roblox kept the popular page on the top of the games page then I think this update would of been great.

Overall: Move popular games to the top of the games page.

13 Likes

Roblox will NOT be able to change the popular games list by trying to move it around on the games page.

They’re still as big as ever and the featured games are still the same as they’ve always been.

2 Likes

In my opinion, I think this is a very interesting change, it’s like a 50/50 thing. I think popular at the top is a must, because layout wise it’s appealing and most games are only on front page if people actually like them.

On the other hand, it means I don’t have to see games such as mad city and jailbreak constantly at the top, and however new games that have the potential.

It’s one strange change, but smaller, talented developers with limited robux could really benefit from this.

2 Likes

Layout wise it needs to be on the top no matter what.
Popular is popular.

No platform in their right mind shoulde ever have their popular section the lowest section unless ASKED to be that way by the player for their personal wants.

A tip for Roblox would be to make a system where the players can select the way they want their games page to look just as you would any platform.

I hope this is reverted until Roblox can figure out a better solution to this though (js)

11 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Popular is popular like you said, maybe they should put featured higher up but I don’t think it fits being at the very top. they should at least let us customise which one goes where in the settings instead of forcing a change this huge.

2 Likes

Just responding to one of your points: the featured sort is games that are proven to be popular with players and have great retention rates as they only pull from the top 250 games by play time.

Proven or not it doesn’t matter. If your game can’t maintain a stable player count without sponsors/ads/featured programs it means that something is wrong. Featured sort doesn’t help developers improve the game, yes it does help to spread awareness about their product but that’s about it. Most of the times it is not relevant to the player base demands either.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting idea. For most upcoming games, and newly launched games… Often there’s no way to get visibility besides advertising. A system from the era of tickets. A monolith if you will. With the launch of new update notifications on games, the newly improved group page… The shutdown and removal of the forums and switch to the dev forums… As well as older features such as Follow and Like.

There’s already more than enough data present to tailor the games page to the user. Showing them not only games they frequent and want to play. But games that might interest them. Putting the YouTube reference you were just thinking aside. It would be really nice if games and game developers that lack an established community could either have the opportunity to show in a dedicated sort or even if it was an addition to the previously mentioned advertisement system that I believe is outdated these days.

Right now it all feels like a hit and miss. And to comment on the Popular near you… I kinda feel like it should be invisible in cases where it’s almost always a direct copy of Popular.

1 Like