Check if player is 13+? [SOLVED]

Hello Roblox Dev Community! I have a question and hope some of you can answer. My question is, how would you be able to check if the player is 13+ with a script? I have some blood in my game and want to censor it for users under 13. So I need to check if the player is 13+ to add the blood. Let me know if you guys have any answers. Thank you!

2 Likes

There is currently no API to check a player’s age. You’d sadly have to use a 13+ age rating.

3 Likes

Aw dang that sucks. I’ll try to find an alternate though. Thank you for the help!

1 Like

Technically, there might be two ways to indirectly check if a player’s account age is set to 13+

1. Check if VoiceChatService:IsVoiceEnabledForUserIdAsync() returns true (since, currently, only accounts that have its age set to 13+ can enable Voice Chat). However, not every account that is 13+ will have Voice Chat enabled.

2. Using PolicyService:GetPolicyInfoForPlayerAsync() to check if either AreAdsAllowed returns true (since it’s not allowed to advertise to users who are <13) or if AllowedExternalLinkReferences returns a table that isn’t empty (indicating that the player can view social media links). According to this Roblox Support Article regarding social links in group descriptions:

The social links will be visible only to accounts that are above 13. They will not be visible to under 13 accounts.

Keep in mind that it’s probably not recommended to utilize the PolicyService for that purpose.

Even if you checked that in order to decide if blood is enabled or disabled in the game for that player, I don’t think that would change how you would fill out the Experience Questionnaire since blood would still be present in the game, even if not for every player. This means that you would still need to be honest about whether or not the game includes blood, in addition to clarifying how realistic it is:

If your experience includes blood, including within any asset type, you must disclose it within the experience questionnaire and specify whether the realism of blood is unrealistic or realistic.

5 Likes

You can:

(iirc) Ads only work for users that are over the age of 13.

Alternative method is to check if the Player’s have safe chat by checking if a specific word gets censored by the messaging service, this can tell you if a user is under 13 due to certain words being censored by the chat if you are.

If you’re looking for their exact age, thats not possible for many reasons.

4 Likes

Oh ok! Thank you! I will be able to use this. And yes I am aware you still need to include blood in the questionnaire.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve already got it covered however. I also don’t plan to do anything with their SPECIFIC age. I just need to know if they are over 13. Thanks for telling me though!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.