Checking Accessory's / Mesh's dimensions in-engine

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to handle big hats that are being uploaded in the User Generated Catalog.

There should be a function which is able to retrieve Mesh’s size in studs.
It should be possible to do, since inserted MeshParts have their default size estimated in studs.

Let’s call it GetMeshSizeInStuds().
GetMeshSizeInStuds would check Mesh’s size in studs.

It would also work with accessories! If accessory happens to not have a mesh, it will return it’s Handle’s size.
Remember, not all meshes are SpecialMeshes!

Reasons:

• Some existing items have a small part, but fairly big mesh.
  • Some existing items have an oversized part, but their mesh isn’t even that big.
  • Games that have resizeable hats, could have size limit implemented!
    There are accessories with mesh sizes like Vector3.new(0.001,0.001,0.001)! I’m looking at you Bethink.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve many others’ developing experience.
No more misleading hitboxes, no more hat blacklist modules also easier in-game customization!

17 Likes

Useful related topics Re: getting original mesh size:

4 Likes

I may have your solution i made a script myself, if your game is R6 it converts all specialmeshes into meshparts and then i added a detection system, if your meshpart is larger then 5 using vector3 it will remove it, you can try it out here, no more annoying blacklists Accessory Max Size Limit Test - Roblox

2 Likes

Oh hey! This post is very old, but MeshParts really did improve the situation.
You can use hacky methods to insert hats into a folder with a R15 humanoid, so you force them to become MeshParts.

1 Like

Pretty much what i did, i made a rig and made it load the characters appearence then i removed all the accessories from the character, then i checked on the r15 rig if any parts were too big, it would delete those parts and put the rest back onto the character, also its quite important to add some wait() to the script otherwise it sometimes dupes the accesories

1 Like