City Tycoon Devlog

Sorry for the late response @Shadowskull1247, but I’m really going to try and apply this advice to this game :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:! What do you think would count as a main feature in the features I listed, so I can do those first.

It’s hard to say, that’s mainly up to you as to what you think is the most important. Some people prioritize the gameplay/mechanic first, some prioritize the themes/aesthetics first, while others prioritize other things first.

I personally am more gameplay focused, but this differs between every developer.

I would recommend focusing on the elements you find fun to work on first and foremost.

1 Like

Hey! One of my developers had an idea to have jobs that you can do. What do you think about this?

• Yes
  • No
  • Other(Comment)

0 voters

I would love it if you would help explain why or why not it’s a good idea!

Edit:

I’ve closed the poll and decided to add jobs!

I think that it would be a good idea because if people want to buy something but don’t want to have to wait to get enough money they could earn some money manually.

Yeah, that was the general idea behind it. Players would be able to interact with stuff in the game to stay entertained when bored, and gain a some bonus money while doing it!

As you guys should know I’ve been modeling cars for the past couple weeks. I’ve currently modeled a Mustang and a Pickup Truck, and I want some sort of beginner car. Any ideas on what kind of car I should make next as a starter car or something??

I think a good starter car could be a Ford KA (1996)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ka

That is exactly what I’m looking for! I’ll make sure to notify you when I finish it and release it for feedback!

This is a great idea, I have yet to see a tycoon with this sort of progression where you work at different jobs to progress (at least I think that’s what you’re aiming on doing!).

Don’t do this yet, get the main aspects done, but it would be cool to add some animations on the character for the trimming trees.

As it’s a city tycoon, you could add buildings that make rent as money, a certain amount every few seconds that increases as you unlock more buildings.
If you do add rent, I would either make rented buildings give no or very little xp for levels, to encourage people to manually do jobs rather than AFK.
Add more jobs! Motels, Pizzarias, Car Dealers, you name it! Just make sure the game doesn’t get too laggy, keep with the low-poly theme to keep down parts. The tasks don’t have to be complex, for pizza it could just be like cashiers at “Work at a Pizza Place”, where they select either cheese, pepperoni, sausage etc.

In the future you could also reward people for adding decor. Buildings could have a radius and if they have certain amenities such as a park or trees then the rent increases.

I honestly love this idea, feel free to use any of what I have suggested, and let me know if you need more ideas!

2 Likes

As always your reply is very helpful to the development of this game :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: ! About the tree trimming, I’m embarrassed to say that I’m pretty clueless about animations. Do you have a post you could link or a script I could Have for the animations that the player will do when interacting with a placed object? Also just to make it clear, the tree and all its interactions and such is just testing. I’m planning to make the real models way more detailed, like way more.

Now for the rent idea. I really like this idea as a decently old developer, but would this make the game too complicated? If so how could I tone it down to make it understandable and enjoyable for younger audiences, as they are a big chunk of Roblox. I’m not quite sure what rent is though, will the player collect the rent or pay the rent? How would that work? Are you talking about just simply giving players more money per seconds based on the amount of buildings and calling it rent?

Now for the jobs, I really like the job ideas you have presented, and I’ll probably implement them when jobs come out. Although I’m going to try and keep the main source of income from the objects the player has placed. Ex. Making main source of income from a store with a register and NPC’s purchasing items at it, not a job that the player is doing. I was thinking that jobs would be more or less just to entertain the player while their saving their money, with some bonus cash on the side. What’s your opinions on this?

Edit:
I’m planning on adding a rating for their buildings in a future update. It will likely be based on similar stuff as restaurant tycoon 2 based theirs on, but of course not the food ratings.

1 Like

I gotta admit, I don’t do animations at all either, but it can literally be a really simple animation of the character getting some big scissors (secateurs) and snipping them together, it doesn’t need to change the appearance of the tree!

I don’t think it would make it too tricky, you can just say that houses make income every minute or something, and a little $? appears above each house every time it earns money, shouldn’t be too hard for young kids to grasp.

I feel like you will need to get the job balance about right. I would make sure that players can do jobs for bonus cash (50% more cash than if they aren’t doing the job) but there could also be NPCs filling the places in while the player isn’t working there.

Ratings are a good idea, are you going to link ratings with the amount of decoration and a few other factors?

On top of this, I would also add quite a few structures purely for decoration, that have no effect on rating. This could include roads, sidewalks etc.

I agree with your comment, except I feel like roads should have an importance other than decoration; like maybe you can only drive on roads and if you drive your car over something that’s not road it would despawn or teleport back on the road.

1 Like

I would suggest that the creator could add some AI cars to make the city seem active, however if they are planning on adding multiple cities from multiple users in one server, this may get quite intensive. Maybe they could add people walking too, which creates an importance for sidewalks?

1 Like

I completely agree. Having cars drive around would definitely make the game feel more alive. (Same with the people walking on the sidewalk.)

1 Like

@Beatitkid4 and @goalmwo, I have had both of these ideas on my features list in my notebook (irl). I was planning on loading in the NPC’s and cars the same way that @Ultraw on Theme Park Tycoon 2 does, whenever they step into their city the game loads in the NPC’s and cars and respawns the last city you were in. I thought that this would help performance, what do you think about it? About the car teleporting back onto the road when they drive off, I actually don’t really like this. I feel if I was the player I would be very annoyed by that, because it would mess with my driving every time I teleport and make me take longer to get to another place that I could have gotten to in half the time by cutting through the grass.

2 Likes

I believe @Beatitkid4’s point was to add some importance to the roads, so by adding pedestrians and cars there’s no need for the car you drive to teleport back.
The unloading AI will work well, and you can add settings to reduce the amount of NPCs or get rid of cars for low end devices.

2 Likes

I think that the way you plan on loading the NPCs will definitely help with performance. I think that what @goalmwo said about having a setting to reduce the amount of NPCs will be very important for people with low-end devices.

I was imagining the roads to be surrounded by sidewalks or other decorations so you don’t have to worry about your car going off the road and teleporting back unless there is no road. But I don’t know how the map is going to look, so that would be pretty annoying if you accidentally turn to much and your car gets teleported back.

1 Like

I’ve updated the post to contain the 3 newly made cars I’ve been modeling! Since these are my first cars and one of my first blender creations, I really need feedback on them! If you have any you can post it here or on my other post. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’ve been making my first building in a couple years, and it’s going pretty well! This will be the car dealership where you can purchase the cars I’ve previously modeled to drive them around!

Im struggling on finding a way to make a mobile and desktop compatible car, if you have any models or resources that would be helpful for this please let me know!

Last thing, if you guys would like to help me with my dealership you can go on this post where I have all my feedback, or even post on here! All feedback is appreciated!

If you check the link on the reply I’ve posted to it will take you to the building feedback thread in which I have updated it to include my new question. I need to fill in some space in my building, I’ve modeled some furniture yet it still feels very dull and empty, any help?

Here's a picture of it if you can't click the link.