Clarification on code flagged for safety review

1 Like

By giving your code to Roblox to execute and compile, you’re giving them your consent.
No copyright can prevent them from looking at it, just like no copyright can prevent YouTube from viewing your unlisted videos.

You are giving the code to them. Reuse, modification, etc? Sure, you can copyright your code to prevent that. But by giving Roblox your code when you upload your UGC, you are giving them the right to view / execute it.

exactly. they even updated this post an hour/day after my post was made about how roblox took action against me having these in my games. (effected both my game and my account)

Did your game use only a custom filter, or a custom filter on top of Roblox’s own filter?

a filter ontop of roblox’s filter.

There are many reports of wrongly moderated content and accounts (check this topic). That makes me disagree what you say here.

As long the moderation of Roblox keeps making (big) mistakes, an update like this shouldn’t be released on my opinion.

1 Like

I think they need additional clarification on this - as I agree it’s unclear what they mean.

Furthermore, adding additional safety for the sake of your players in the form of an extra chat filter will not get you punished. We applaud you for wanting to go the extra mile to ensure your players have a safe experience! Just make sure the text you’re filtering is not visible to players (i.e. sent to the client) and all should be fine.

I presume this means having a filter that removes things from databases and Discord webhooks, for example.

Too bad you didn’t feel the need to be transparent until you were confronted about it.

6 Likes

As far as you’ve seen - Roblox are the only people who are privy to the moderation landscape they experience, and frankly, there is going to be a fairly strong reason they’re putting a significant amount of investment into a new moderation system, staff, and policies.

Roblox are not one team - they have multiple departments, projects and teams. Just because they are working on one thing does not mean they are not working on others.

As I said above, Roblox believes this change is necessary for compelling reasons - clearly there is a need from their viewpoint, otherwise they wouldn’t be putting a significant amount of capital on investing in it.

Roblox are not one team - they have multiple departments, projects and teams. Just because they are working on one thing does not mean they are not working on others.

The departments have enough communication between them and they definitely aren’t working on improving false positives bans if they’re doing this

Roblox believes this change is necessary for compelling reasons

What are these reasons? How do you know they are compelling?

I cannot comprehend what you are saying. Could you please clarify?

That is even if they do communicate between one another. It sounds like they only communicate once enough people try to appeal and they notice a repeat issue. Otherwise, you’re stuck out as a lama behind a fence because they just copy, paste, close ticket after your first appeal attempt.

As I said - just because one team is working on one project, does not mean that another team is not working on another.

So, making the statement that “They can’t be working on X if they’re working on Y instead!” doesn’t make sense, since “working on false positives bans” is the job of the appeals team, who will be separate from the team working on moderating scripts.

I know they are compelling because they are willing to spend a lot of money investing in staff, training, system upgrades and capabilities that enable them to moderate scripts. The company is not going to spend its money on projects that do not benefit it in some compelling way.

I feel like someone’s gonna close this thread soon since it’s basically nothing but constant arguments and people repeating the same stuff 10 times…not to mention that even the Top Contribuators are tired of this…

3 Likes

not to be rude, but please be more comprehensive.

I know they are compelling because they are willing to spend a lot of money investing in staff, training, system upgrades and capabilities that enable them to moderate scripts. The company is not going to spend its money on projects that do not benefit it in some compelling way.

And why are they spending so much money on it? Because it’s compelling? This is a non-argument because first it presumes Roblox is incapable of making mistakes and second it uses circular reasoning.
I’m obviously not saying Roblox makes bad updates more often than not, usually they are good additions to for example Roblox Studio, but in this case I can’t think of a singular reason as to why this decision is so badly needed, apart from that people might see inappropriate words on GUIs or something.

1 Like

how does any of this relate to op

this has nothing to do with your builds and you bein a dev bruh

Companies have a decision process for spending money. Just because we don’t know what the reason was doesn’t mean they don’t have any (and in fact, this is pretty unlikely).

Think about the following:

John Smith walks into a meeting with the VP of Making Stuff, Alice, and the CFO, Bob
John wants to get his new Hot Tub installed in the Headquarters

John: I want to get a hot tub installed in the Headquarters
Alice & Bob: Why? How much will it cost? Why should I spend my budget on this?
John: Because I want it!

As you can guess, John doesn’t get his Hot Tub.

Let’s try again:

John Smith walks into a meeting with the VP of Making Stuff, Alice, and the CFO, Bob
John wants to get his new Hot Tub installed in the Headquarters

John: I want to get a hot tub installed in the Headquarters. Here are my policy papers on the benefits for staff on using Hot Tubs. Here is a costing and the most cost effective way of achieving it, and here is polling information for our staff based on what they would think of a Hot Tub in the Headquarters
Alice & Bob: That’s awesome! We will definitely consider this.

Whilst this is obviously a contrived example, you can see that decisions in companies aren’t made without any backing or consideration.

And ergo, whilst we don’t know (or might not agree) on if something has a compelling reason, that doesn’t mean Roblox don’t see one. And it also doesn’t mean that a compelling reason means that they’re right. I never said that Roblox were incapable of mistakes, nor did I say this was not one - however it is not an argument to ask why they’re spending money on it. They think it will benefit the business, either strategically or financially, or meeting a commitment (such as platform safety).

There are many reasons where this could be applicable, where Roblox might need to look at someones codebase (they actually list the reasons above in their post), namely:

From my understanding, this is for the following circumstances:

• Someone pastes something illegal or inflammatory in a Team Create and is reported by another member, but Roblox don’t have the capability for viewing what’s actually in their code.

• There is a Team Create / Collaborative Editing place where Roblox detects someone has used racial slurs or other offensive language, or suspects that PII is being stored
    --todo: Contact <13 user John Smith, 11 at 1900 Pennsylvania Avenue, DC about coins

• It makes the platform look better and more kid friendly if…it is. Keep in mind that Journalists and Reports make significant efforts to try and make Roblox look bad or ineffective at moderating the platform - if one looked into Studio, put racist comments in a Team Create, and then reported on that as a story how would that damage the company?

1 Like