Client Rendering Freezes: D3D11 device removed reason 887a0006

I’ve been getting this error in any ROBLOX game. Checking the rendering log, I see this:
150.82718 0.0 ms 2248:D3D11 FATAL ERROR: Device removed with reason 887a0006

I also noticed that ROBLOX decides to use integrated graphics instead of dedicated:
1.48005 0.0 ms 2248:D3D11 Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 1.48005 0.0 ms 2248:D3D11 Adapter: Vendor 8086 Device 0416

I’m also having trouble setting ROBLOX to run on dedicated graphics manually.

Edit: This can happen even within ~10 seconds of the game starting.
Edit2: Using lower graphics settings seems to fix the problem, but I don’t have graphics problems with other games. My drivers have been updated in the last 24 hours.

3 Likes

Are you on Windows 10?

Yes. If it’s needed, the graphics are the integrated Intel HD 4600 and an NVidia GeForce 860M.

Can you check if this immediately happens upon switching to a certain quality level, and if so, which one?

This does not happen upon immediately switching to any quality level. It only happens after some time has passed, and it happens more often if not only on higher quality levels.

I’ll mess around a bit and see if there’s a certain quality level it happens on.

When did you start seeing this problem?

I can only say for certain that it was happening around two and a half weeks ago (2016-10-08) because that is when I began testing out my project on the website and in ROBLOX Client. For months before that I had only been using Studio, where I don’t experience this issue.

I’ve had the same issue with Studio since I installed the anniversary update. I remember telling @maxvee about it. (Nvidia GTX 670, Windows 10)

From what I remember, it’s an issue with the current nvidia drivers & DirectX - not a lot you can really do about it right now. :frowning:

I fixed the problem for studio (for now) by setting GraphicsMode to OpenGL, but I’m not sure if you can do that with the client.

This issue did only happen after the anniversary update (of Windows 10). I think I got the update more than a month after it was released. Something like this happened in a non-ROBLOX game, too, but I updated my drivers and it was fixed there.

Yeah, we were discussing this with @maxvee and it’s not clear if we can do much about it. I have also heard from developers of some other non-ROBLOX games about the same issue happening with their games.

For now we’ll rework our adapter selection to explicitly work with the dedicated GPU if you have one - right now we rely on driver hints for that and effectively work through a weird Intel-NVidia shim. Hopefully changing that will improve the situation.

1 Like

Awesome to hear it’s being discussed and that there’s some sort of plan, even if it’s not a for-sure fix. Thanks for the response. It will be great to see ROBLOX using the dedicated GPU.

I am in the process of checking over bug reports and following up on some bugs that haven’t received any activity in a while.
Is this issue still occurring or can you confirm that this bug has been resolved?

1 Like

I’m not seeing this issue, but I haven’t used that computer in I think two years now. I think it did get fixed way back then though, but it could have re-occurred as evident by the four posts that link to this topic.

It may be worth checking in with those posts since those developers experienced the issue more recently and are more likely to have access to the devices it occurred on. :slightly_smiling_face:

Alright, if there is more info from the engineers i will pass it on.

1 Like

Yes I know, necrobump.

This error and crash still occurs quite frequently for me as of July 2024. I have a GTX 1660 with the latest drivers and Roblox Studio configured to D3D11.