Coding made SLOWER due to AutoComplete Update

it’s definitely your code lol. i once opened a script from a free model w 15k lines of code in it and my computer crashed. has this stuff ever happened to you before the update??

also please stop bumping your own post it’s annoying

Can’t post out there. I may have posted this somewhere else so I need it moved out.

1 Like

A free model with 15k lines of code? No way, that’s just full of “spaces” or backdoor scripts for your game. 15k lines of code itself is a devotion and no one’s going to do that in a free model. And so to answer your question, no.

Why are you getting so angry when all I did was tag the @DevRelationsTeam to handle these specific major bugs for front-page game developers? If you wish to not dump this post, then go ahead and not reply to this topic.

i dont know either man, this happened in 2018 and i was opening a script which played animations+sounds when you drank from a can of off-brand bloxy cola. i was just curious on how the developer did it but the script was so big studio stopped responding lol

bro scroll up u literally posted 7 times in a row…

gn

3 Likes

The new autocomplete update seems to account for explorer situations that can occur in code, like if I use:

local noggin = p:WaitForChild("HeadPart")

then type ‘noggin.’, I’ll get autocomplete results for stuff like noggin.Size and noggin.Material for when HeadPart is loaded, whereas previously I don’t think it did that.

Likely because you have 11k lines of code in one script, the autocomplete’s struggling as it has to account for all of the scenarios. Until this is fixed, if you really want to script, script in a different / new script and copy-paste into your 11k line megascript of doom.

This will be the last time I’m interacting with this thread

Its great your trying to bring light to this issue but what we appear to be gathering is the issue is only happening to you as well your trying to pin it to the Autofill update which I’ve had enabled for 2 months now since its beta haven’t had any issues with it and my computer is a potato for most games, Clearly its something in your game causing the issue whether it be your game is way to large for roblox to handle or you downloaded somethings using a lot of resources, either way I don’t know and honestly I don’t care.

Half the responses here have tried to help you with your issue and you’ve turned them down saying its roblox its roblox this only started happening today when if you can get a lot of work done in a day yeah its going to add up. I personally don’t care for the attitude you’ve given off in the topic here and its really only gonna make people ignore the situation your having rather than help you find the actual issue.

And this smartass comment you made most . roblox . post . will . update . us . in . chat so my bad for not scrolling up to the top of the page to read it.

ps: if you want help try not to be so rude to the people trying to help you :slight_smile:
2 Likes

I believe it’s just me being frustrated about this update.

1 Like

I can’t imagine there being a front-page game that bears 11k lines of code in individual scripts. This is not “devotion”, this is poor management. Have you considered using modules? If anything, I’d recommend you’d make a post in #help-and-feedback:code-review to help reduce unnecessary code.

Otherwise, you can just wait for a patch which improves performance or adds a toggle for the autofill.

3 Likes

If a game has 11k lines of code in total, that’s fine, but if it’s only 1 script accumulating literally 11k lines of code. I have huge doubt that this is Roblox being at fault, instead it is your game’s codebase structure.

Most front-page games sure have a lot of code, but they are separated into different scripts/modules… we rarely combine all code into one script, that’s not how single-script architecture works either…

Should you put the blame on Roblox? Maybe not, should you put the blame on your game’s code? Yes, totally.

Processing time is not constant, it is linear. It scales up depending on the task size.

4 Likes

I believe if my scripts are really unorganized, it would accumulate around 500k lines of code. My current game only finishes 20% of the game plan consists of a lot of content that it is reasonable having that much of code. I really think I optimized and organized everything. I counted my game’s total of lines of code and it already has 80k lines of code even without blank lines having 100 module scripts.

EDIT: It may not be as organized as it should be, which I’ll be planning to fix.

although it may not be entirely your fault, still having 11k lines of code is terrible. no front page game should ever have something like that
you must try to split up your code and make it more modular

switching to vsc is always an option too :wink:

My team has started experiencing this lately too. It happens more often in our game with a larger codebase, especially in the more dense scripts. Not only does autocomplete take more time to pop up, but often our scripts will freeze while typing, waiting for autocomplete to pop up. This greatly hinders our workflow.

Disabling On-Type autocomplete seems to help the freezing but also hinders my workflow because I actually used the feature before it caused my script editor to freeze.

2 Likes

Roblox Studio 513 update was released today.
If you have received an update (with an incremental rollout it might take some time), the performance issue you’re experiencing should be fixed.

1 Like

@Froredion , @Wrathsong can you please check if the new release helped or if you still experience the delays in the script editor?

Hey, it is still happening and now it’s worse. It takes 1 second for a new line to be created.

The autocomplete feature also still takes 1-2 second for it to appear. Compared to other scripts, they’re still slower.

Deleting a line will also lag it off for 0.5-1 second. Adding 3-5 lines every second will cause my script to lag and takes 20 seconds to load.

The first deleting line didn’t lag however the 2nd one took 0.5-1 second.

I believe it may be beneficial to give us a way to revert back to the previous autocomplete so we can determine if it happens for both features. As mentioned before, this doesn’t happen to the previous autocomplete version.

The script I used here is the same script I sent to Roblox before, I’ve only added 6 lines so far and it’s still lagging.

Hey there, any work to fix this? So I made temporary ways to fix this but it already reached 3K+ lines and I am now noticing somehow delays on inputs. When I input a keyword it takes 0.5-1 seconds for it to reappear and autocomplete is really slowing down a bit.

I do not want to create a Skill V1, Skill V2, Skill V3. I believe it’d happen to reach about Skill V50+ if this goes on…