Create High Fidelity Materials Seamlessly in Adobe Substance 3D

epic update I love using substance painter.

Correct–our platform remains open, we avoid special-casing, and we look forward to seeing more tools leverage things like Open Cloud to provide additional integration. Adobe added support to Substance 3D to make things more seamless for Roblox devs via templates and presets.

16 Likes

Super awesome as someone who actively uses Substance painter in my project quite a lot, this integration should make it a lot less tedious!

1 Like

Fun Fact: Adobe is largely free for the majority of students. If you have a student email, your university or school probably has it for free somewhere or has workstations available that have it loaded on. If that doesn’t apply to you, it’ll be pretty costly to be under Adobe’s subscription model. It used to be that you had to buy every version. Sad to see that phase go. Subscriptions stack up. Keep that in mind.

Great to see overall!! Thanks Josh

3 Likes

Speaking of this though, can we get official 4K support? Current constraints makes me sad. A viable solution could literally be “scaling” the images down based on quality setting or device since each device is different. Mobile phones though (Apple mainly) can handle 4K so, I don’t see that much of a hit on the iOS market. I’d be happy to pay a fee tbh. I just want this in my game asap. Having to do all these were abstractions and “workflows” to split things up is quite annoying.

2 Likes

Just want to boost this feature request WRT 4k support. Materials doesn’t really make sense for 4k in the context of Roblox’s playerbase being primarily phone users, you’d need so many materials that 4k would eat all of your memory budget. However, for a handful of textured assets with SurfaceAppearance, 4k is necessary, especially when making very large assets with good reuse potential such as rocks, terrain, trees, etc.

7 Likes

Do you plan on opening collaboration with Blender too when it comes to materials creation? I feel like that would be a massive help for developers on a budget, which is a decent amount of developers.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for the confirmation :)

When I tried to learn Substance Painter a little while ago, I was warned for “Sexual Content”.
I wrote about my experience in detail here,
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/tried-learning-how-to-use-substance-painer-warned-for-sexual-content/1927292

Has anything been done to prevent stuff like Normals maps getting you warned or worse?
@JoshSedai

I don’t want to deal with this stuff again…

6 Likes

I’ll keep my thoughts brief here, but suffice to say, this is going to be an enormous time-saver! That being said, I do wonder if we’ll ever see greater substance integration into the engine á la unreal engine and unity.

I disagree with you here. Whether his opinion is important or not doesn’t really matter, it’s good to hear all sides. Saying someone’s opinions isn’t really needed and is causing unnecessary “negativity” when in reality the OP was just trying to gain clarity, in itself seems unnecessary. A good update all around but asking critical questions gives an update much more value.

5 Likes

If you just want to rummage the Adobe Substance Material library and extract tiling materials from it, I’ve made a tutorial to do that here.
It still requires some setup, but once you’ve got it worked out it only takes a minute or two to extract a material, and doesn’t require building any nodes.

2 Likes

not how that works. youre asking for custom shaders at that point, with which i would passionately agree with. Even then, you might have to write those shaders within roblox, but even then, its a bad idea to do procedural material shaders to the extent you would in blender. The standard within games is baking textures for performance reasons, so youll just have to figure out what youre doing wrong.

because these programs specialize in texture creation and do their jobs much more efficiently than something like blender does. Blender does a great job at poly modelling, but choosing a different program for other tasks is very common. If pirating is an option (it always is) then the choice is never hard. btw the textures dont look seamless because of the uv mapping of the meshes in the screenshot, if you tile these on a plane theyre gonna be seamless

I wish this was in Blender, but any official support is great.

Better to call it “trying before buying” on public forums.

I gave Blender an example as a great free resource in modeling, for textures another program could be used, I’m not sure which though.

If I may ask, why? Roblox Studio is awesome as it is. And won’t it be very annoying to have to switch between VSCode and Roblox Studio. Also will it be used by many people?

Seems like an interesting concept. Would be nice to see some more textures on the platform.

VSCode is superior in effectively every way, such as customisability, ease of access, type checking and more. There are extensions that allow you to sync up your VSCode workspace with Roblox Studio (Rojo). You only need to swap to Studio to do any play-testing.

VSCode is usually used in more professional environments, such as companies that work on Roblox, as there is GitHub integration. Such is the case for where I work aswell.

2 Likes