Creating a cart that can go uphill and is more stable

Hello. I am trying to make a cart that can go uphill, and to make it more stable.

I am using hinge constraints on the wheels, to make the cart move but as you can see the movement is very shaky and unstable. How can I fix this?

Also, my cart is unable to go uphill, how would I fix this?

All help is appreciated, thanks.

the ramp is too steep for the cart to even go up, make it lower
also try setting the seat’s TurnSpeed to 0

Increase the cart wheel’s and rails Friction in the CustomPhysicalProperties section of the Part Properties.
The Density of the cart might be too high if it won’t climb the hill properly.
Also, you HAVE TO put another set of ‘wheels’ or a Part underneath the cart to keep it on the rails.
This would be similar to the train model I sent the link for in your other post except I used a welded block under the rails.
In your case it would be better to add a spring with a PrismaticConstraint to pull the bottom wheels up against the bottom of the rails for better traction instead of a weld.

Seeing the cart jitter around I’d again suggest using a Cylinder Part for the wheels to make it smoother. Set the Collision of the Cylinder wheels to True, and make your Union wheels Collision False. Unions are very rarely smooth or round enough to use as wheels.

@Mister33j VehicleSeat’s TurnSpeed was only ever used for the previous steering system used for Roblox vehicles. It doesn’t have any effect on the newer Constraint physics steering.

1 Like

those wheels dont look like they fit in the rails perfectly. you could try lowering the speed a bit too

As far as I tested (and I’ve done a lot trying to make a stable car wheel), unions and meshes have a very different collision than Roblox’s default cylinder or solids. If I recall well, you told us in your previous post that you were using unions as the cart’s wheels (as I can see in the video too).

Here’s some advice:

• Consider using the default cylinder. There will be more parts to deal with, unfortunately, but for now, that’s the only way I know to get a decent round-collision.

• You can set the wheels and the rail’s Elasticity to 0 and its weight to 100, which will make them a lot less bouncy.

• If you increase the wheels or rail’s friction too much, they will have some issues performing some movements.

• Check if the rails fit the wheels correctly, and give just a tad of extra space; so they don’t get stuck on sharp turns or get off the rails while passing them.

I hope this helps you.

Thank you very much for the advice, but I am currently on holiday so I am unable to implement it

I am unsure what this means/how to do this, do you have an example/a photo to show how ths would be implemented

I will also add a cylinder as the actual wheels but make it completely transparent but can collide on, and use the union thats viisble but can collide off. Is this what you mean?

Test Train, bogeys with tilt (VectorForce or Hinges).rbxl (174.8 KB)
Have a look at this model train I made to show other people one way to make trains.

If you look at the CollisionGroups you’ll see that I have a couple for the wheels that ride underneath the bogeys as well as the alignment wheels between the rails to keep the train from derailing.
Since you plan on climbing steep hills I suggest you put a single cylinder as a 3rd axle at the center of the cart, but underneath the rails. If you attach the Cylinder with a SlidingBallConstraint | Roblox Creator Documentation you can then put a SpringConstraint on it to pull the ‘underneath’ axle upwards and against the bottom of the rails.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.